Using avios for cathay flights

Old Aug 14, 19, 12:25 pm

I'm searching for F availability from JFK-HKG late March (Already have 2 J seats booked) Searched the other day for F and when searching for 1 passenger, it shows availability and says "5 seats left". I then search for 2 passengers and it shows no availability. I ran this search on BA and QF sites, same results. How risky to try to upgrade one to F and then attempt the other? I have a feeling that BA is showing some phantom availability and I'd be out of luck and in a worse position than just keeping the J seats as is. Any thoughts? Thx.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Is there a connecting flight, likely before the JFK-HKG?
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Is there a connecting flight, likely before the JFK-HKG?
Nope, direct/non-stop from JFK-HKG
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by benjahman View Post
I'm searching for F availability from JFK-HKG late March (Already have 2 J seats booked) Searched the other day for F and when searching for 1 passenger, it shows availability and says "5 seats left". I then search for 2 passengers and it shows no availability. I ran this search on BA and QF sites, same results. How risky to try to upgrade one to F and then attempt the other? I have a feeling that BA is showing some phantom availability and I'd be out of luck and in a worse position than just keeping the J seats as is. Any thoughts? Thx.
CX First Class only has 6 F... impossible to have 5F availability...
At most time, only 1 F is available for redeem per flight
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, Tesco, Nectar, ICSMBC
Anyone know any tricks to booking CX rewards. I can see tons of availability on asia miles. None on BA. Then tons on BA the week after I need. Tries calling BA UK, nadda. Tried reverse routing, nadda.

anyway to transfer avios to airmiles. Im gonna try getting amex to post my 10k avios bonus in a promo to asiamiles.

does calling asia BA work? Honestly what are CX playing at.
Old Aug 15, 19, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
Originally Posted by Newbtravelle View Post
Anyone know any tricks to booking CX rewards. I can see tons of availability on asia miles. None on BA. Then tons on BA the week after I need. Tries calling BA UK, nadda. Tried reverse routing, nadda.
The problem, started from last year, is married segment availability. You can try to add a short haul connection to the search in order to see availability. E.g. instead of searching LHR-HKG, try LHR-BKK/KUL/SIN etc.

Have a look at this thread: Where has all the CX Avios availability gone?

anyway to transfer avios to airmiles.
Nope.
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by benjahman View Post
Awards fron JFK are hard to come by. And they will be released to AM before eing released to BA if not taken with a few days. Also, new awards will generally be released like ten days before departure. But BA availability becomes 0 6 days before departure.
In any case I would be quite happy with me in F and wifey in J.
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:51 am
Suspended

CX cut availability to other OW members in favour of CX members due to CX members always loosing out to other OW redemptions. I am not sure they made this official but I have it on very good authority from people who actually make this stuff happen
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Tesco, Nectar, ICSMBC
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
You can try to add a short haul connection to the search in order to see availability. E.g. instead of searching LHR-HKG, try LHR-BKK/KUL/SIN etc.
I can see plenty of CAN-HKG-ICN. But the question is can BA actually book HKG-ICN from the married segment?
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:07 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
I can see plenty of CAN-HKG-ICN. But the question is can BA actually book HKG-ICN from the married segment?
No, Ba can't do it.
I was also told it wasn't even possible to book all the married segments and then, after a day or two, call to drop the redundant leg. However I remember one FT was able to to it few months ago.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
No, Ba can't do it.
I was also told it wasn't even possible to book all the married segments and then, after a day or two, call to drop the redundant leg. However I remember one FT was able to to it few months ago.
I have seen varying reports of this - some saying they have managed to call to cancel one of the segments leaving the other intact - others saying they were refused due to married sector availability. Never tried it myself.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: