Using avios for cathay flights

Old Mar 16, 18, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
No one can give you a definitive answer as we donít have access to the backend data.

But it I think youíve read this thread. This is as good an answer as you will get.

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?
Thanks - that's a great thread. My conclusion is that 'often' there will be the same availability, but BA might not show it, and you have to call to book. But not guaranteed, as Cx may release availability only to its own members (discounting the 'blocking short-term bookings' issue)
Old Mar 16, 18, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
To the question of MarcoPolo V Avios availability patterns.

I have been based in Macau for some 8 years and having kept with BA for the reasons explained the pattern I discern is.

Book very early plenty of availability.

At about 2 months out Avios V MarcoPolo availability dries up dramatically.

However at 3/2 weeks out availability mysteriously reappears.

Only to disappear again at one week - which is well covered in the link above.

I find a combination of checking ExpertFlyer for avail and MarcoPolo rewards avail gives a good chance of predicting if Avios will open up. Even picked up a J on the direct Manchester flight 10 days out last August.
Thanks - very useful. I'll stick with Avios for now, but obviously keep evaluating if I notice it's a problem and affecting my holiday choices!
Old Mar 16, 18, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
It is a fact that availability is more restricted for Avios than AM, especially longhaul premium cabins. When CX releases a F seat, it is not uncommon that it is restricted to AM, then gets released to avios a few days later if not picked. My family has both CX and BA FFPs and I see that periodically.

That is quite different from the T-5 day rule where all availability disappear on BA website. Whether calling will keep working is a question mark.

For intra-Asia flights in J, there is usually wide avios availability on CX, except on some business-heavy route at business rush-hour. Most flights have usually J availability. Of course, that is less the case when it is a KA A320 plane with only eight J seat. And awards are really cheap with avios, when under the 4 hours rule.

Last edited by brunos; Mar 16, 18 at 4:59 am
Old Mar 16, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Is it possible to use Avios to book flights from London with CX?
Old Mar 16, 18, 4:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pack View Post
Is it possible to use Avios to book flights from London with CX?
yes you can. The LHR-HKG route on CX is bookable with avios, just search on the book with avios page via your BAEC homepage. Also you can book CX from CDG/DUB etc to HKG which may be cheaper due to lower taxes/charges.
Pack likes this.
Old Mar 16, 18, 5:01 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

yes you can. The LHR-HKG route on CX is bookable with avios, just search on the book with avios page via your BAEC homepage. Also you can book CX from CDG/DUB etc to HKG which may be cheaper due to lower taxes/charges.
Fantastic! Cheers for the quick response. Tokyo 2020 here I come!
Old Mar 16, 18, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pack View Post
Fantastic! Cheers for the quick response. Tokyo 2020 here I come!
If you are planning to do CX to HKG and JL to TYO on the same booking be aware that it would price up as a multi-partner booking which may be more expensive in terms of avios compared to the normal per sector pricing. You can get around that by booking all on CX or booking the CX and JL flights separately- obviously some implications for connection protection if separate.

also when coming back, if you can book this as singles rather than as a return, a HKG-LHR booking would incurr very low taxes/fees/charges - around £30 from memory.
Old Mar 16, 18, 7:36 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flapster View Post
Hi all

I did a search, but didn't find the direct answer to my question, so apologies, as I'm sure it's been asked numerous times before.

I have recently moved to Hong Kong, and have a substantial balance of Avios, so want to continue using avios as my primary programme for collecting points. However, I am getting different availability for reward flights, and am unsure if I am doing something wrong, or whether this is going to be an issue in the future. I searched for Hong Kong --> Hanoi on ba.com, and it shows no availability for reward flights. I then searched Hong Kong --> Hanoi on Cathay Pacific, and there IS availability for reward flights there.

Are there different availabilities, and is it possible to book using my avios (e.g. by ringing BA directly)?

If there is different availability, and this is going to be a problem ongoing, I suppose I should look into Asia Miles as my primary collection point whilst in Hong Kong?

Thanks
Have you moved your registered address to HKG?
For some weird reason, some HKG accounts cannot see CX availability on certain routes (and this is not the 7-10 day close in black out).
Best to ask your non-HKG friend to check to be sure. Otherwise, yes sometimes CX release more availability for their members.
Old Mar 17, 18, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asia Miles, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Or Worst

Originally Posted by ermen View Post
For some weird reason, some HKG accounts cannot see CX availability on certain routes (and this is not the 7-10 day close in black out).
Best to ask your non-HKG friend to check to be sure. Otherwise, yes sometimes CX release more availability for their members.
When I moved account from UK to Macau I could see no avios availability at all including BA. it went on for nearly a year with different BA departments all blaming each other. I lost count of the promises that it would be solved "this" week. It proved a lot more difficult to move the account back than may be reasonably expected.

Also seconding an early post. a point i missed in my earlier detailed reply. it is usually easy to nab J availability. It can be very useful over local holiday periods when any availability is insanely expensive. We often use at least one way in CX J over Christmas/New Year for the Philippines/Thailand. Ex Macau to HKG is becoming a pain with less frequent, slower and insanely expensive fares for the direct airport ferry. Roll on the opening of the bridge.
Old Mar 17, 18, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've been using Avios for several years to book CX regional flights in J/F. Availability used to be excellent. Within the past year or so, it's decreased dramatically. Though I agree with the comment upthread that space will often open 2 or 3 weeks prior to departure.

I now find SQ KF much better for Asia regional flights, though it tends to be a little more expensive than redeeming Avios. Obviously less useful if you're based in HKG.

I also seem to recall reading that CX availability may differ based on which website you're using . . . if based in HKG, you may be seeing lesser availability than if you use the UK or US website.
Old Mar 17, 18, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
Odd. Pretty pleased that I kept my UK address on my account when I moved out (to keep my BAPP AmEx). I remember when looking for avios availability last Christmas there was a defined cut off point (about 3-4 weeks) where availability vanished for a bit, but once I realised this I just kept checking everyday until availability appeared on the day I wanted (and bagged 4 J seats from SIN-HKG I was after, rather than having to shell out close to £3000 for economy)
Old Mar 17, 18, 4:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
As someone who moved to HKG a few years ago I'd add a few observations on points made here, that may explain the OP's questions, and other comments by posters:
1 - AsiaMiles releases certain redemption seats using a defined pattern as a benefit for status or a credit card 'from time to time' (Marco Polo Club members get a 3 day pre-booking window, Cathay Pacific credit cards 2 days out)
2 - AsiaMiles offers different levels of reward redemptions for more miles, you can therefore get more seats for an even higher AsiaMiles cost. From memory this doubles and triples the cost

Personally I stick with earning on BA for flights, despite these constraints, though I have gotten an AsiaMiles credit card to earn local miles (recommended, you can get up to 100k AsiaMiles with spend for an opening offer, though the spend amount for me to achieve that was around 20k GBP in 3 months).
Modo likes this.
Old Apr 2, 19, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Plat
Reviving this old thread.

Did anyone have any luck recently with scoring an F reward on CX on the HKG - JFK (or vice versa)?
It seems there is no availabilty in F, no matter how far in advance I look.
Looks much better on HKG - ORD.
Is JFK really that much of a top premium market for CX that they took out all rewards?
Old Apr 2, 19, 5:12 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
There was a mistake fare recently in CX F that they honoured, would have taken a good chunk of seats out of the US-HK market
Old Apr 2, 19, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Plat
Yes, I read about that.
But taken all the way until next spring?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: