Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prince Charles is in the First Wing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally posted by Worcester:
A half German, half Greek,
Where does the quarter that is Scottish squeeze in?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:16 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Is it just me or do I find it odd that people celebrate building's being open or still standing for 10 years.
What's to celebrate here ? The building did not catch fire ? Its doing its Job.

Seems like a total waste of money.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Shame that BA are even getting the publicity imo
Yeah, but Prince Charles? It's Megan they need right now.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by MarkFlies

Yeah, but Prince Charles? It's Megan they need right now.
Or even Meghan.
MarkFlies likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Is it just me or do I find it odd that people celebrate building's being open or still standing for 10 years.

Bah, humbug!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:03 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Bah, humbug!
ahahahh True I deserve that !
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
Or even Meghan.
Ooops, it seems I need to spend more time on the celebrity magazines.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World

They're celebrating the delays from the first day computer problems finally clearing up.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Starship73
It was so exciting I forgot to take my laptop out of my hand luggage, so he got to witness me getting the right-royal swab treatment
Haha, was that you? I was the person patiently standing to go through the arch and had to wait ages! That Champers was definitely better than usual... I see he was steered away from the floppy toast and flaccid bacon!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On the HKG handover flight (which I was also on) HRH was upstairs on the 747, which is CW, whereas Chris Patten's entourage was in First. But the reason for that (as he noted at the time) was to ensure a suitably beefy member of the Met Police SO14 could sit on the staircase. This was at the time of Old First, so actually he got the better deal, as we mere FTers all realise.
I note you haven't said if you were "upstairs" (or, perish the thought in WT (no WT+ then IIRC))
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Banana4321
I note you haven't said if you were "upstairs" (or, perish the thought in WT (no WT+ then IIRC))
I better put some notes here since I'm not aware of any other record of this, and before my memories fade...... The separation on that flight was between Crown and HMG, and I was in the CW section, which was mainly civil servants. BA actually modified the 747, I still don't know how they did it, but CW went all the way back to Door 4, so there was just a relatively small WT section, which was partly sold to journalists but there were support staff there, such as members of the UK and HK police and armed services. First was the usual 14 seats and that was for Lord Patten and Robin Cook (and I think General Guthrie, who was CDS). Club World Upper Deck was for HRH, and he (or rather his secretary Sir Stephen Lamport) held a letter of Royal Prerogative from HM with him, so he was acting in the role of monarch and Commander in Chief for the purposes of the Handover. BA removed two CW seats from Club World towards the flight deck, and put a cheap airbed up for HRH to sleep on: he had been through a bout of polo pony falls, he had a lot of trouble sleeping with his bad back. So his staff decided that an airbed would be a better bed for him, which was on some sort of MOD (?) metal frame. I did briefly go upstairs to see it, and I swear the airbed came from Woolworth. It didn't have a belt on it (or so I recall), so if there was turbulence he would need to return to the seat, but my recollection is that it was a smooth flight. The airbed was adorned with tweed blankets. He spent a lot of time writing letters and diaries, when not dealing with a procession of visitors.

Interestingly, in light of more recent issues in CW when something new happens (787, 380, Do&Co CW catering), and given the BA crew was handpicked for the occasion, it took forever to get the meal out in the expanded CW, but I don't think any of the passengers noticed - everyone was moving around, talking and drinking, raiding the bars, flirting with the crew (especially the Met Police). But the crew certainly did notice. A crew member who was also on that flight reported they were having to sneak off to WC with bread rolls hidden in their uniform because they were working so hard without a break that some of them were at risk of fainting from a lack of food. They must have all collapsed when they got to the crew hotel. On the way back, everyone was exhausted, the crew had partied hard in HKG (ditto the passengers it should be said) and managed to slam out the meal in an hour! Which will ring a bell with today's HKG-LHR regulars....
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Didn't he once have a gentle moan about BA First when stuck him in First rather than install the royal suite.

Or possibly it was Club World on a First-free flight.
There's a royal suite that BA can install?! Intriguing... (Or am I just failing to register sarcasm?)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MarkFlies

Ooops, it seems I need to spend more time on the celebrity magazines.
Oh, please don’t
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A crew member who was also on that flight reported they were having to sneak off to WC with bread rolls hidden in their uniform because they were working so hard without a break that some of them were at risk of fainting from a lack of food. They must have all collapsed when they got to the crew hotel. On the way back, everyone was exhausted, the crew had partied hard in HKG (ditto the passengers it should be said) and managed to slam out the meal in an hour! Which will ring a bell with today's HKG-LHR regulars....
You were on that flight? I have never mentionned it in all my time here. Your recollections are quite scarily accurate.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:33 am

I'm sure there are an awful lot of interesting stories with a historical angle from some of the regulars on here… ever thought of doing an edited volume of memoirs with FT special guests, PUCCI?
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.