Search

Vegas Club World 777 v 747

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:52 pm
PxC
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Vegas Club World 777 v 747

About to book DUB - LON - LAS - LON - DUB.

I have the choice of either 777 (Gatwick) or 747 (LHR), will the 777's be the refurbished interiors that have the modern Club World/WTP? The 747's on this route do not get good press on here, hence this post.

On the outbound I will go WTP on the 777 fron LGW, and I would assume the 777 (if refurb'd) is much better than the 747?

For the return I will upgrade to Club World with avios, and would prefer the 777 for the same reason as above. A friend also may come which would mean I would have to go with the 747 (only one reward seat for 777).

To sum up the question... how much worse would a 747 LON - LAS be on a 747 v 777 in both WTP and CW?
Many Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
The LGW 777's are the old fit out which seem to get less care and attention from BA compared to the LHR birds from what is said on here (haven't flown ex LGW long haul for over 8 years but they were similar to the old style 747's then).

The LGW 777 fleet is being densified with some upgrades but I don't believe they are scheduled for LAS yet. Best way to tell is to do a dummy booking and see how many CW seats there are. If there are 32 CW seats then it is a refurbed plane if more seats then it is an old plane. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Well, for the 777 upgraded interior it partly depends on when you're going - only one aircraft is converted so far.

Likewise, about 50% of the Mid-J 747 fleet associated with the LAS route will also be getting an interior makeover, starting later this year.

Currently the odds for either LAS route favour you getting the older seats and the older IFE, simply because there aren't that many upgraded aircraft in the system yet.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:07 pm
PxC
Original Poster

So either way I am lumbered with an old, crap product? I knew I would regret getting used to J on QR
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can go on the A380 via LAX if you want. Your QR experience should make you used to connections, and the LAX lounges are good.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:31 pm
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
You can go on the A380 via LAX if you want. Your QR experience should make you used to connections, and the LAX lounges are good.
Thanks for the suggestion, but using multi city only one flight is offered LAX - LAS and its about a 4 hour gap which is pushing it for a better WTP product.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I'm probably in the minority here, but although the new WT+ has fancier screens etc, I find after a flight the vegas length I have horrific lumbar aches.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aceman
I'm probably in the minority here, but although the new WT+ has fancier screens etc, I find after a flight the vegas length I have horrific lumbar aches.
The “new” WTP on the 747s is just the refurbished old seat though isn’t it? Or do you mean the A380/B787/B77W Seat?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Having done both, I'd go 747 on this route. At least on the way back you can get an upper deck CW seat, and presumably you'll be sleeping so won't miss the crappy old screens
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've done LAS too many times to remember, but for a short break (unless TP running...) I wouldn't entertain additional stopovers - WT+ is comfy and fine on both, IFE rubbish, and CW coming home on 747 without doubt.

Arrivals into USA in LAS is always efficient and seamless, and it will be at least 4-5 hours quicker than connecting through LAX
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I note the OP didn't give a date for travel: This may be one of those questions where the reply will change towards the end of the year (2018), when both the 52J 747s start to fade out, and LGW gets more of the updated 777s. Some LAS regulars prefers A380s to LAX, but the A380s may be moving around timetable wise.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
LAS is served horribly direct by all airlines really, tending to use their oldest fleet! Unfortunately I have to do the trip at least twice a year, usually in WT or WT+. I flew from LHR last couple of times which was 747 and completely full flight on the way out. IFE is un-usable and seats not great. That said I'd still rather do it direct than transfer but YMMV
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Putting aside the issues of seats and screens (which really are a matter of personal preference only), I would ALWAYS choose to connect at LHR versus LGW when connecting ex-EU for the simple reason that if things go wrong (delays, etc) you have a MUCH better chance of being re-routed on the same day (especially to LAS) from/to LHR compared to LGW. If by chance you missed your LAS connection at LHR (which happened to me last year) BA can always re-route you via PHL, LAX, JFK, or numerous other options available at many times during the day. There are other options at LGW, but they are very limited. Same goes for the return...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
If its a close call between the two, another consideration might be the better choice of Lounges in T3 compared to LGW?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:16 am
PxC
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Have to be there between 24/6-3/7. Gatwick seems to give the occasional cheap price for WTP which works with upgrading the return with avios, but I'll look for LHR.

Didnt think about the lounges at T3, recently very much enjoyed using them so that's another good reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.