Wiki Posts
Search

Slight exaggeration

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
Slight exaggeration

Gate agent at LCY just announced that there were so many passengers on our flights get that the number of bags would mean a 1-to-2 hour delay unless people volunteered to check the trolley bags .
Lots of volunteers!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
First thing that came to mind was "what a load of b0ll0cks", 1-2 hours delay unless people check their bags?! If there's a need to limit hand baggage then, IMHO, they should first ask for volunteers, then start enforcing it in the boarding lane for groups 3-5.

NB: For clarity, not suggesting the OP is talking b0ll0cks
thejohn likes this.

Last edited by Lucanesque; Mar 12, 2018 at 6:45 am Reason: clarification to avoid any unnecessary offence
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Seeing as it's an LCY flight and full of bankers and lawyers, I'm surprised nobody suggested to make sure there was a 2 hour delay and have everyone due for 250EUR compensation.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:13 am

Probably the same gate agent who promised the VDBer a trip to Spain in business class if she went from Gatwick!
dawntreader380 and ttama like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
They should wheel the bag sizer round and see what fits.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Seeing as it's an LCY flight and full of bankers and lawyers, I'm surprised nobody suggested to make sure there was a 2 hour delay and have everyone due for 250EUR compensation.

Only very junior people get billed out at €125/hour and it would be quite an admission to declare you where that low down the pecking order.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
First thing that came to mind was "what a load of b0ll0cks", 1-2 hours delay unless people check their bags?!
So no-one here has ever experienced an hours delay because the slot was lost while everyone was madly faffing around trying to find somewhere for their bags in the cabin then ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
So no-one here has ever experienced an hours delay because the slot was lost while everyone was madly faffing around trying to find somewhere for their bags in the cabin then ?
Not at LCY...
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:12 am

Never in my experience (luckily), IME that's what boarding on time (e.g. 30 minutes out) and good gate controls helps manage. Scaremongering that there's going to be a 1-2 hour delay if people don't check their bags is unhelpful and, being blunt, BS.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Surely the real answer is whether it worked. If it did whats BS about it?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by philthegreek
Surely the real answer is whether it worked. If it did whats BS about it?
It sounds like it did, however, my calling it BS relates to the OPs opinion around this being exaggeration and I don't believe that it would mean a 1-2 hour delay at LCY if people didn't come running to check their luggage.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by furryman
Gate agent at LCY just announced that there were so many passengers on our flights get that the number of bags would mean a 1-to-2 hour delay unless people volunteered to check the trolley bags .
Lots of volunteers!
That might well be true if the departure had a Calculated Take Off Time (aka ATC slot time). Missing this time could easily result in over an hour’s delay, if not more.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Deltus
Not at LCY...
Not at LCY due to faffing around for bags, but I have had ground holds at LCY to wait for a slot time, so I can well believe that there could be a knock-on effect if a slot is lost because of bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.