Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The Caravelle was really quite small by today's standards. I think that it had about 80 passengers. It had a 2 x3 seating. When I flew the first one in 1963 - it had a pretty multicolour motif the length of the cabin. The front door was opened by turning a handle to wind it up - I do not think that it was electrically powered. The door left the Front Row of F passengers exposed to the elements and the rain could pour in. The rear door was incorporated into the rear fuselage as did the 1-11. the DC-9, and the 727s that came subsequently. The aircraft was quite quiet as the engines were rear mounted but they were terribly loud externally. The windows were tri-angular. It was perfectly pleasant but once you flew the AF 727-200 the Caravelle seemed very dated. I do remember that on landing the engines always made an odd reverberating sound .
Landing on a wet runway, the Caravelle used a drag chute, which it dropped when slow. I used to watch the airport ops cars going to retrieve it at MAN. There were plenty of wet days
allturnleft likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by rapidex
Landing on a wet runway, the Caravelle used a drag chute, which it dropped when slow. I used to watch the airport ops cars going to retrieve it at MAN. There were plenty of wet days
​​​​​​
Is this thread hijacked ?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
​​​​​​
Well it's certainly diverted a little off-topic But then it wouldn't be the BA board, would it?!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rapidex
Actually the Caravelle 111 had no reverse thrust - so it would use these to slow the aircraft if necessary, regardless of conditions. I actually saw both an Air Algerie and an Iberia Caravelle deploy theirs - once at LHR, the other at ORY.

They were not dumped on the runway as I gathered that ATC would go spare if they did.

HMPS - I am sorry Love - but this so much more interesting than Superbrands.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
'andad and PJSMITH0 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by HMPS
​​​​​​

Just the gentle meanders of mellowing minds ...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Actually the Caravelle 111 had no reverse thrust - so it would use these to slow the aircraft if necessary, regardless of conditions. I actually saw both an Air Algerie and an Iberia Caravelle deploy theirs - once at LHR, the other at ORY.

They were not dumped on the runway as I gathered that ATC would go spare if they did.

Yeah, let's pretend FT is about flying.
To continue.....I've flown in a British Airways Chinook.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by 'andad
Yeah, let's pretend FT is about flying.
To continue.....I've flown in a British Airways Chinook.
Naughty Boy! FT is about complaining, how to complain, and what compensation one is due from airlines in general and British Airways in particular

Do you remember the BCAL Helicopter Shuttle between Gatwick and Heathrow?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Naughty Boy! FT is about complaining, how to complain, and what compensation one is due from airlines in general and British Airways in particular

May I add another reason.....? Can a few divert attention / interest from a somewhat negative thread here ? Have we also forgotten experiences, quality, deals, earning avios , trip reports, cleanliness, lounges etc etc ?????
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

I do remember there being a shuttle, didn't realise it was run by BCal. You don't really remember it Pucci, much too young, you're just keeping the thread on flying.

The BA Chinook I was on was from ABZ to the Fulmar offshore platform ( full BA livery. Most tragically this particular aircraft crashed 2 months later killing 40 pax & 2 crew returning from the Brent field. On the civilian model the 2 rotors overlapped, and lost synchronisation. Offshore workers refused to board Chinooks shortly thereafter).

PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
On the civilian model the 2 rotors overlapped, and lost synchronisation.
The only aircraft I'm aware of that can crash with itself.
rapidex and Arctic Troll like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
[QUOTE=PUCCI GALORE;29551092 Do you remember the BCAL Helicopter Shuttle between Gatwick and Heathrow?[/QUOTE]

IIRC it used to leave LHR from a helipad on what is now the cargo area to the west of T4? I was only on it once and my memory was of a lot of noise and vibration but the flight to LGW was fascinating.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
The only aircraft I'm aware of that can crash with itself.
Mmmm, yes quite witty, but a lot of people died.............so not sure.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
On the civilian model the 2 rotors overlapped, and lost synchronisation.

Not just the civilian model, all Chinook rotors overlap and intermesh. There is a gearbox in the front section below the front rotors and also one in the rear section below the rear rotors, if either of those gearboxes or the driveshaft between them fails, one of the rotors potentially slows down and they strike each other. I had a lot of Chinook flights in my military days, best not to think of the possibilities when you are hurtling along at 100 feet above the ground at a rate of knots.

Incidentally, the Chinook was the fastest heavy helicopter in NATO (might still be), I remember sitting on the cockpit jump seat one flight where we overtook a US Army UH-60 Blackhawk.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Mmmm, yes quite witty, but a lot of people died.............so not sure.
I hadn't intended it to be "witty", but rather a statement of fact.

Last edited by Jagboi; Mar 22, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.