Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I think the CX loss is entirely from making bad fuel hedges, however, even without that loss, they would have been marginally profitable, and downward trends.
I think someone here are using selective evidence without background information to make a point. Unfortunately people here are more educated like you, who can point out the biases within. I would go on to make the point that SQ is a fine company. Its downward trend in itself is due to the neglect of the middle level flyers (namely Star Gold and Krisflyer Gold/Silver members). Its insistence of separate PPS and Krisflyer alienated middle level flyers and ultimately in many cases the loyalty is lost among these flyers. Those struggle to maintain FFP levels started to look elsewhere. And the uprising of Chinese carriers are making life difficult for SQ nowadays.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:32 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think my main issue with FT is that I get it. Some people won't have a bad word said against BA.
You are quite right, but it’s the constant moaning about BA whilst flying other airlines that I believe draws out the defensive comments. I note you are an Emirates ambassador. I have no doubt that a lot of people like this airline, but my one experience in F and the subsequent apathy of their customer services was so bad that I parked the miles and chose not to fly with them. My point is that you won’t find any posts from me on the Emirates forum bleating on how terrible they are. I just moved on and started flying with airlines I like.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by rapidex
The Cathay share price is currently rising as investors see the fuel hedging losses playing out over the next year and healthy profits returning.
That and their extensive cost cutting plans too I suspect.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by subject2load
You are correct ; although in all fairness I would add that the term ‘some people’ here in fact refers to a fairly small number - a group who labour under the impression that the Forum is intended to be a fan club.

Yes, there are probably around 10 posters that you know will always disagree with anybody that posts anything anti-BA.

There are a similar number who would still complain about BA even if they got upgraded to F class every flight!

Cut out those 20, and the BA forum is generally quite well balanced. But what you get is people getting wound up (well, I do anyway!) by the constant love-everything/hate-everything posts from the minority.
wrp96, peanut77 and Oaxaca like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Agreed!

Oh yes - I remember the Comet IV - although my first jet flight was on an Air France Caravelle. BEA was flying those Vanguards at the time in the days when they had (a little bit like the Eastern Block countries) buy British even if no one else did. The one aircraft that I regret never flying was the VC10. I just missed them at BCAL and then they were pretty much withdrawn.
I also enjoyed a trip on an Air France Caravelle..I used to love positioning to TXL, Bcal Bac 111 LGW-FRA then Pan Am A310 FRA-TXL. It was always a good drinking session.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I think my main issue with FT is that I get it. Some people won't have a bad word said against BA.
Like who?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Agreed!

Oh yes - I remember the Comet IV - although my first jet flight was on an Air France Caravelle. BEA was flying those Vanguards at the time in the days when they had (a little bit like the Eastern Block countries) buy British even if no one else did. The one aircraft that I regret never flying was the VC10. I just missed them at BCAL and then they were pretty much withdrawn.
Ah ! Have we dated ourselves or what ! Who cares.....^
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:24 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HMPS
Ah ! Have we dated ourselves or what ! Who cares.....^
Darling - dated we may be - timeless we always are!!
hugolover and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Agreed!

I never got to fly on a Caravelle, what was it like? The only VC10’s I flew on were in RAF service and I enjoyed them so commercial service for BCAL and BOAC must have been great for their time. Not quite a Comet but did fly on the Nimrod, that was quite smooth and quiet.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Agreed!

I remember flying in Comet IV's too. And yes, the BOAC VC10 was another superb British aircraft (I seem to recall a take-off climb rate similar to Concorde, name-dropper or what). I believe BOAC virtually wrote the extreme specification that made the VC10 uneconomical, and deserted it for the 707 (which also benefited from the tragic discovery of metal fatigue in the earlier Comets).
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:19 pm

So is there a ranking outside the Top 20 list? Did BA end up, for example, 23rd on this list or I don’t know...87th?! Not that it matters too much now but it could say a bit more about the overall results.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
So is there a ranking outside the Top 20 list? Did BA end up, for example, 23rd on this list or I don’t know...87th?! Not that it matters too much now but it could say a bit more about the overall results.
They were 27th on the consumer list. From Number 1. \o/
Google and Amazon also fell off the Top 20
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP

Yes, there are probably around 10 posters that you know will always disagree with anybody that posts anything anti-BA.

There are a similar number who would still complain about BA even if they got upgraded to F class every flight!

Cut out those 20, and the BA forum is generally quite well balanced. But what you get is people getting wound up (well, I do anyway!) by the constant love-everything/hate-everything posts from the minority.
Originally Posted by Sealink
They were 27th on the consumer list. From Number 1. \o/
Google and Amazon also fell off the Top 20
Seems like BA can easily get back into top ten if they ""cut out those 20" and do some tweaking in the soft & hard product, food, lounges, cleanliness....etc

WHen you are so far down it is easier to get back up as the company you keep are marginally better.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:07 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Nimrod1965

I never got to fly on a Caravelle, what was it like? The only VC10’s I flew on were in RAF service and I enjoyed them so commercial service for BCAL and BOAC must have been great for their time. Not quite a Comet but did fly on the Nimrod, that was quite smooth and quiet.
The Caravelle was really quite small by today's standards. I think that it had about 80 passengers. It had a 2 x3 seating. When I flew the first one in 1963 - it had a pretty multicolour motif the length of the cabin. The front door was opened by turning a handle to wind it up - I do not think that it was electrically powered. The door left the Front Row of F passengers exposed to the elements and the rain could pour in. The rear door was incorporated into the rear fuselage as did the 1-11. the DC-9, and the 727s that came subsequently. The aircraft was quite quiet as the engines were rear mounted but they were terribly loud externally. The windows were tri-angular. It was perfectly pleasant but once you flew the AF 727-200 the Caravelle seemed very dated. I do remember that on landing the engines always made an odd reverberating sound .
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:19 pm

Thank you Pucci for your insight, the triangular windows caught my attention when I was a small boy but never got the chance to fly it. I have flown on the DC9, BAC1-11, Boeing 727 and Fokker 28 but that one eluded me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.