Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Anyone ever heard of 'Superbrands' before this thread?
Of course people have heard of ‘Superbrands’ (which has been going for well over 20 years) before this thread (which has been going for around six days).

Where on earth have you been living ? Oh hang on a minute .......

You can learn about Superbrands (assuming, that is, you have any wish to) - and the huge industry names involved - here

TCBA

and here

Superbrands

hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by kosy91

.................................................. ..

To me BA feels a bit like Tesco - its not cheap in the league of Aldi/Lidl nor is it premium like Waitrose. Its in the middle where one shouldnt be
You’re not the first to say this. When I first heard it said, I was far from convinced. And yet, now, as the world moves on, and the overall BA proposition falls further behind...... it becomes more of an accurate representation.

And - like Tesco and its busy carparks - the airline will undoubtedly continue to retain many of its longstanding consumers. Just how happy those consumers are (especially relative to times past) is perhaps another matter.

Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
To me BA feels a bit like Tesco - its not cheap in the league of Aldi/Lidl nor is it premium like Waitrose. Its in the middle where one shouldnt be
I was on hold to BA during the week. The recorded voice was saying about how competitive British Airways was when compared against EasyJet and Ryanair. I thought that BA's main rivals would have been other flag carriers.

Regarding M&S food in Y and brand perception, in some ways a partnership between BA and M&S makes a certain degree of sense because to a lot of people the "British Airways" brand is a bit like Waitrose / Marks & Spencer, but to then be charged for your in-flight afternoon tea / cucumber sandwich... it does make me wonder if the extra money I've spent on getting those tier/Avios points was worth it over the savings of flying a budget brand - and then I end up flying BA again the next time (I justify it with "one step closer to silver" and "but it's so much more convenient flying in to Heathrow" to make myself feel better).

Funnily enough, I usually recommend to people coming out here to Frankfurt to fly Lufthansa rather than BA if they are not going to be making frequent trips but whereas when I was living in the UK LH were usually cheaper for LHR-FRA, now I live in Germany BA are always *much* cheaper plus "Miles and More" just does not work for me as well as Avios and Tier points do.

And you know you can get Avios by shopping at Tesco and collecting club card points ;-) So... in a really long, rambling way, I think the Tesco comparison is spot on; I use BA over Lufthansa for the same reason that I used to use Tesco over Waitrose - point collection plus cheaper costs over a free newspaper and coffee, whilst admitting that the cheaper experience wasn't as nice...

Last edited by Mackle; Mar 17, 2018 at 4:39 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by subject2load
<snip>
You can learn about Superbrands (assuming, that is, you have any wish to) - and the huge industry names involved - here

TCBA

and here

Superbrands

... Which seems to indicate BA is #4 in the Business Superbrands, ahead of Emirates at #5 . So not that bad really.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...al+Results.pdf

I'm a bit confused now
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Superbrand not Superbad?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:54 am

@T8191

By way of clarification : it is in the ‘Consumer Top 20’ where BA have suffered the dramatic fall from grace : going from Number 1 to outside the list completely.

See here Consumer Top 20 ? Superbrands
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
... Which seems to indicate BA is #4 in the Business Superbrands, ahead of Emirates at #5 . So not that bad really.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...al+Results.pdf

I'm a bit confused now
BA are #4 in the Business Top 20 Superbrands, they were outside of the top 20 in the Consumer list. BA did of course win the "Travel - Airlines" category for both Business and Consumer Superbrands. Beating off all the other airlines in the category including AA, AF, LH, QR, EY, CX, SQ, EK, KL, VS, EZY, FR ... ...

... By way of clarification : it is in the ‘Consumer Top 20’ where BA have suffered the dramatic fall from grace : going from Number 1 to outside the list completely.
It's not at all out of the list completely, BA won the 'Travel - Airline' category in both the Consumer and Business lists.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:36 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
@T8191

By way of clarification : it is in the ‘Consumer Top 20’ where BA have suffered the dramatic fall from grace : going from Number 1 to outside the list completely.

See here Consumer Top 20 ? Superbrands
What I find confusing is that since joining this forum in 2012 I have continually read about the imminent demise of BA, whilst continuing to fly on full aircraft. Like some previous posters have alluded, I believe that the silent majority are either happy with the product, happy with the price point or just don’t care as long as they get from A to B and that the real moral of this story is that this survey is not worth the paper it’s written on as has been proved in recent political surveys.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
What I find confusing is that since joining this forum in 2012 I have continually read about the imminent demise of BA, whilst continuing to fly on full aircraft. Like some previous posters have alluded, I believe that the silent majority are either happy with the product, happy with the price point or just don’t care as long as they get from A to B and that the real moral of this story is that this survey is not worth the paper it’s written on as has been proved in recent political surveys.
Or could it be that passenger numbers have been increasing organically in real terms regardless of airline since 2012?

More people are flying than ever before...I don’t have the figures to hand but the world is more connected than it ever was. I can’t see traffic numbers falling or stagnating unless we have another global economic crisis. I’m prepared to be challenged on that...
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:04 am

What I find confusing is that since joining this forum in 2012 I have continually read about the imminent demise of BA, whilst continuing to fly on full aircraft
Pretty much every time that I've been on a BA 767 this year, it's been half empty. And you get the announcement from the crew deck that you can sit wherever you like after the seatbelt light is switched off, but as the plane is "lightly loaded" and passenger seating has been "purposely allocated for weight distribution" that every one has to be in their allocated seat during takeoff and landing.

*In the interest of balance, I have also done the same routes in A319s full to capacity.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:14 am

Let's be honest, a GCSE student could fill BA's planes - but at what price? Weren't Monarch's planes full, up to the point they....er....went bust? In fact I remember the old days of doing LGW to MAN every month, those planes were usually full/popular too. What happened, I wonder?

It isn't the load that is important, it is the revenue and profits that it generates.

I agree with the second bit though, I imagine most people are just interested in getting from A to B at the right price.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club

You’re not the first to say this. When I first heard it said, I was far from convinced. And yet, now, as the world moves on, and the overall BA proposition falls further behind...... it becomes more of an accurate representation.

And - like Tesco and its busy carparks - the airline will undoubtedly continue to retain many of its longstanding consumers. Just how happy those consumers are (especially relative to times past) is perhaps another matter.

I agree with your last bit there.

I mean just look at this group as an example. We all spend our valuable time quibbling over what BA was and what BA is. And yet we will go chasing the points, the TPs and so on.

What saves BA is the brand name it created over the years, a very very strong hub and its monopoly on the market.

Does BA care about customer satisfaction? No. Does it care about its financial results and underlying share price? hell yes.

Till the time that BA gets it in their head that their current strategy is eroding their future financial position, nothing is going to change
HMPS, wrp96 and subject2load like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by Mackle

Funnily enough, I usually recommend to people coming out here to Frankfurt to fly Lufthansa rather than BA if they are not going to be making frequent trips but whereas when I was living in the UK LH were usually cheaper for LHR-FRA, now I live in Germany BA are always *much* cheaper plus "Miles and More" just does not work for me as well as Avios and Tier points do.

This

I've been flying LBA-LHR-FRA return or MAN-LHR-FRA return on a weekly basis (almost) for the past 8 months instead of a direct and much more convenient routing on LH MAN-FRA

Avios and TPs get me a lot further than Miles and More would. Plus being UK based I value avios more than LH M&M. As long as BA get me from A to B I'm happy as I dont expect too much else from them. I do love it when I enjoy the drinks and food in the lounges at BA's expense

*obviously in the above I haven't taken into consideration that my employer has a corporate deal with BA which gives me fully flexible tickets with BA, whereas with LH I have to buy the cheapest and pay their exorbitant change fee
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

BA survives on corporate deals. End of
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BA survives on corporate deals. End of
.... and Freight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.