Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Padmeister
it is getting to the point where you only fit in on the BA Board if you are bashing BA,.
I'm not sure that's true at all - I think there's a balance of views on BA on the forum here. Over time they have, I think, increasingly trended towards the negative but you have to ask why that is. Thinking there's some kind of conspiracy on Flyertalk to bad-mouth BA or that the Flyertalk BAEC forum is only attracting those who want to express negative views seems to me more far-fetched than the simple thesis that BA's product has deteriorated.
lukew and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Hundreds of people day in day out like BA and enjoy what they offer. it is getting to the point where you only fit in on the BA Board if you are bashing BA,.
Passenger numbers are approx 45 million annually which equates to around 123,000 passengers flying BA each day

If it's only hundreds that are happy each day, then they would be in a tiny minority!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Before I was Gold I was a very happy BA Blue customer too. So this theory about a "bubble" of passengers ... I don't quite get either.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Passenger numbers are approx 45 million annually which equates to around 123,000 passengers flying BA each day

If it's only hundreds that are happy each day, then they would be in a tiny minority!
Hundreds or thousands who gives a ..... The fact of the matter is despite what is said on the BA forum lots of people fly with BA everyday and they are happy! The race to the bottom for BA has been talked to death on this forum for a long time but somehow BA still make millions of pounds a year; every year strange that isn't it? You would think that with all the people on here who say BA are .... and every other airline is better that nobody would fly BA at all because they are sooooo bad.....
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:12 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hundreds or thousands who gives a ..... The fact of the matter is despite what is said on the BA forum lots of people fly with BA everyday and they are happy! The race to the bottom for BA has been talked to death on this forum for a long time but somehow BA still make millions of pounds a year; every year strange that isn't it? You would think that with all the people on here who say BA are .... and every other airline is better that nobody would fly BA at all because they are sooooo bad.....
When's the Dom P2 arriving?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
When's the Dom P2 arriving?
are you trying to be a funny ....?

I wonder if your so cocky face to face! Giving it the Barry behind your keyboard!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Hundreds of people day in day out like BA and enjoy what they offer...
Sounds like damning with the very faintest praise: only hundreds of the many thousands of people who fly BA each day like what they offer ? So be it ... 1 in 10

But I wonder how you could possibly know if even those hundreds are happy with their flights? I suppose you might look at surveys....

it is getting to the point where you only fit in on the BA Board if you are bashing BA,.
Have you thought of why that might be?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

are you trying to be a funny ....?

I wonder if your so cocky face to face! Giving it the Barry behind your keyboard!

Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sounds like damning with the very faintest praise: only hundreds of the many thousands of people who fly BA each day like what they offer ? So be it ... 1 in 10

But I wonder how you could possibly know if even those hundreds are happy with their flights? I suppose you might look at surveys....

Have you thought of why that might be?
No Ian whoever the .... you are no I don't look at surveys! It is clearly obvious they must be doing something right! With how much money they are making! When the planes are empty and grounded on the tarmac and nobody is flying BA that is the day I will be proven wrong.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
I wouldn’t like to say BA are making a profit because people like BA and the offer a good product...this fall from grace proves that.

But I would say they are making money because of shrewd accounting teams in the background with rigid cost focus and P&L scrutiny. That is why they are turning a profit.

Under investment for many years also helps. I say under investment not lack of because clearly there has been some investment but only when the sums add up without hurting profit or margin.

All of this is great if you’re a business owner or have a penchant for financial tales but as a customer you don’t give a damn if Cruz is making BA board money or gets his bonus. You care about whether you’re travelling safely (goes without saying), in style, with great service and amenities. So a great product.
BA has some of this here and there, it’s not perfect no business will ever be but it has really focused too hard on the finance and not enough on the customer. That, in my opinion, is why BA are no longer number 1.

It’s a shame because they could have used next year 2019 (the centenary) as a target to prove they are still number 1. Still flying to serve. Unfortunately the build up so far to this momentous occasion has been clouded by failures in PR that may just distract from what could be a joyous time to show customers they really are a British Premium Airline maybe they still will or can. But clearly a lot of damage has been done.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
People who always fly LCC, but fancy splashing out for a milestone birthday or anniversary, so they 'upgrade' to BA. Only to find that BA are exactly the same as the LCC that they always otherwise fly with. Are they going to be disappointed? You betcha.
The issue with losing brand value is of course that you'll lose customers in the long term. I'm experiencing just that among friends. Most are puzzled that I fly BA. It doesn't surprise me that BA averages a 5 out 10 in Skytrax customer reviews while Easyjet and Ryanair get a 6 out of 10.

... and every other airline is better that nobody would fly BA at all because they are sooooo bad.....
Don't underestimate the power of a low price. Furthermore, I wouldn't conclude from full airplanes that customers are indeed happy. The survey is one of many indicators that customers seem to think that BA is heading in the wrong direction.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
But I would say they are making money because of shrewd accounting teams in the background with rigid cost focus and P&L scrutiny. That is why they are turning a profit.
The obvious question is however if that strategy can last. If brand reputation drops too much, then what's there to stop people from flying with competitors? I'm not convinced that BA will be able to compete solely on price.

As far as "BA forum" vs "super brand survey" is concerned, the survey is certainly not a definitive answer but IMO more precise than the general opinion of this forum. Most of us have FFS on BA and get treated differently than the average UK customer. E.g. Selecting the good CW seats for free while the non-status pax refusing to pay the fee gets either an aisle seat with the privacy level of a park bench or gets to share middle seats with another poor sob.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by WorldLux
It doesn't surprise me that BA averages a 5 out 10 in Skytrax customer reviews while Easyjet and Ryanair get a 6 out of 10.

Absolutely. EasyJet and Ryanair fulfil their market value propositions, do what it says on the tin; while BA can seem a bit fur coat and no knickers.
The LCC meet their customers' expectations, while BA can easily disappoint.
hugolover and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anyone ever heard of 'Superbrands' before this thread?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
how do you know they are happy? Just because they don’t post on here...

also so a lot of people don’t have a choice from the uk to certain destinations so of course no matter what BA do they’ll get bums on seats and for most passengers in economy, well it’s grim anyway right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.