Wiki Posts
Search

Incident in Glasgow Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD
Incident in Glasgow Lounge

There was an incident in the BA Lounge in Glasgow yesterday where a Celtic footballer, Scott Sinclair, was allegedly racially abused - the police were called and individuals were removed from the airport. Not a very pleasant experience for the staff and passengers.

Last edited by Brighterside; Mar 12, 2018 at 3:09 am
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are quite a few links to the incident out there, here is one at random from STV:

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/141...asgow-airport/

extract:

Celtic star Scott Sinclair was verbally abused by three fellow passengers at Glasgow Airport in an incident which led to police being called. The incident took place in the British Airways lounge just hours after Celtic beat Rangers 3-2 in the Old Firm derby at Ibrox.
Unacceptable anywhere, and assuming due process is followed I hope BA reviews whether it wishes to continue doing business with those removed from the flight.

[Edit: the main media sources I've looked at state that Mr. Sinclair, who is from Bath in Somerset, was verbally abused by three other passengers in the lounge but they do not specifically mention a racism dimension at this point, so that probably needs the word "allegedly" around that aspect. There is typically just one underlying source of this sort of news and it just gets repeated off a wire report from the Press Association].

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 12, 2018 at 2:50 am
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It seems he handled the incident a bit better than Jamie Carragher...
Petrus, MrBambi, 'andad and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
As much as I love my home city, it’s hard not to be ashamed of it when such incidents occur. It’s so disheartening that there remains, to this day, a minority who think this sort of behaviour is acceptable. Old Firm days have a particular knack for drawing out these bampots who really belong to the Stone Age.

Would certainly hope that BA revoke any further invitation to their lounges. Knuckle-draggers and unmonitored access to free-pour alcohol is never a good mix.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Brighterside
There was an incident in the BA Lounge in Glasgow yesterday where a Celtic footballer, Scott Sinclair, was allegedly racially abused - the police were called and individuals were removed from the airport. Not a very pleasant experience for the staff and passengers.
Absolutely disgusted to hear this story, especially as it's happened in my home city airport.
I hear visitors from all over the world praise Glasgow for its friendliness, yet over the years there's been quite a number of both Celtic and Rangers players who have been racially abused by opposing, so called, supporters, no one should have to suffer that!
I hope British Airways bans these offenders for life, and hopefully the police have taken the appropriate action!
maeboyce likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Met a young Rangers supporter yesterday who told me his best friend back in the UK was a Celtic supporter, so there is hope yet.
Gorcat and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
The rumours are that it happened downstairs where the toilets are. Anyone familiar with the Glasgow Lounge will know that it’s quite a quiet spot.

It’s also quite common for him to fly down to London post match, especially if the team has a few days off after a game. From Social Media posts he is quite familiar with the BA lounge at Glasgow.

Hopefully he and everyone else are ok after the incident. Can’t believe people would think they would get away with something like that. It’s not some random nightclub where they don’t know your details.

Thankfully it looks like BA and the police were quick to deal with it.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
An appalling incident if verified. A sad indictment on the area that I have lived all my 52 years in. What passes on Old Firm derby days in the name of football is an utter disgrace. The west of Scotland needs to take a long hard look at itself. So many places around the nation and the globe have managed to move on, however each time these two clubs play each other their supporters indulge in disgusting public chanting and alcoholic idiocy of the highest order. It is also a fact confirmed by police and support groups that domestic violence spikes noticeably when these games take place. I wish I knew what the solution was, but short of playing the game on Jupiter at midnight on a Wednesday, or closing all the pubs and off licences for a week around the date of the game, I see no way of changing things for the better.
PETER01, maeboyce and JamieABZ like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:05 am

A Celtic man flies British Airways? The Green Brigade won't be happy to hear that .
Gorcat and Pack like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:42 am

***Moderator Notice***

Please stick to the topic and be cordial. Thanks.

Petrus,
Moderator BAEC forum
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GM1985
As much as I love my home city, it’s hard not to be ashamed of it when such incidents occur. It’s so disheartening that there remains, to this day, a minority who think this sort of behaviour is acceptable. Old Firm days have a particular knack for drawing out these bampots who really belong to the Stone Age.

Would certainly hope that BA revoke any further invitation to their lounges. Knuckle-draggers and unmonitored access to free-pour alcohol is never a good mix.
Obviously agree with the overall sentiment that this is neanderthal behaviour, although for those not so familiar with the Old Firm, it generates a lot of interest within the UK (and beyond) amongst people with political agendas that go way beyond anything football related. It sounds as though in this case the alleged perpetrators are probably not from Glasgow and probably not even Scottish (just a hunch). Not that it necessarily matters where they are from.

I think a ban is in order. Ordinary people minding their own business in a lounge do not need to be subjected to this nonsense.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:45 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A number of off topic and diversionary posts have been removed. Perhaps we might like to concentrate on the core issue here of a BA customer being abused in a lounge by fellow passengers and not worry about the standard of football in Scotland ...

(Plus as a Norwich fan, frankly I have no wish to be reminded about the quality of football at any level at the moment ...)

/mod
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Very sad story! But how come it’s always football where they have issues with fan behaviour? Using police to segregate fans, brawls, throwing bananas at players etc. The one rugby match I went to at Twickenham between England and Australia, fans were mixed, kids attended without parents present and alcohol was served. All good fun, and my rugby loving colleague took time to explain the rules and vagaries of this sport to this ignorant foreigner. Go to an ice skating event, seek out the Dutch supporters and they’ll share something liquid to keep you warm. Go to any skiing event and supporters of all nationalities will cheer the winner.

Rant over.
PETER01, wrp96, squawk and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not much to say.

Idiots got drunk and behaved badly.

It happens even in a BA lounge sadly.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I think a ban is in order. Ordinary people minding their own business in a lounge do not need to be subjected to this nonsense.
I fully agree with this. Celebrity, football player or Joe Public, no one deserves to be abused, intimidated or harrased verbally anywhere.

Impose a 1 year ban on the abusers which is well within the scope of the terms of the Executive Club rules, that'll certainly let them reflect on their behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.