Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A350-1000 training flights meet-ups thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: george77300
NEW NOVEMBER TRAINING FLIGHTS
26 Nov (Tues) to 29 Nov (Fri) on BA456/457 and BA464/465 (Total 16 Flights)
Ding Ding, The next A350 training flight with FTers in NOV. will be:
26 Nov:
457: george77300
The Oct. A350 familiarisation/training flights dates to MAD (Madrid, Spain) from London Heathrow (LHR) are below; The Aug. training flights are now complete and the calendar for dates the A350 flew in Aug. is in the First post below as an archive.

Oct. 2019 A350 Schedule: (first published 20/08/2019) AT RISK OF CANCELLATION! BOOK WITH AVIOS ONLY AT THIS STAGE IF YOU ARE ONLY FLYING TO TRY OUT THE A350.

Ding Ding, The next A350 training flight with FTers in Oct. will be:

2 Oct:

465: courtster, george77300

5 Oct.
456: plunet +1, Thomas PL +1
464: MrMutton, WoodleyBeacon
465: MrMutton, WoodleyBeacon

6 Oct:

464: Pack
465: Pack, plunet +1

7 Oct:

457: davm666

NO A350 TRAINING FLIGHTS AFTER OCTOBER 7TH. (7TH IS THE LAST DAY!)

If you wish to join in, please post your name directly into the wiki or in the thread and someone will add you. Format for new days or flights:

There is quite a bit of information in post 1 where a FAQ has been written to answer most questions you may have, please read that first! If you notice something missing or an error, please post and this will be added or corrected.

Updated to Post #1394
Print Wikipost

BA A350-1000 training flights meet-ups thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL
Great to meet so many people yesterday, including those not on the MAD run, and hope those returning today have a good and safe trip back!

In the right seats I don't have a big problem with current Club World, but I think this provides what people "want" to all seats in a better way than a lot of airlines manage. My biggest concern, before boarding, was the foot cubbies; while not as big as say QF's Vantage XL, they were not really an issue for me (6 foot tall, size 9 feet). Apparently the foot cubbies in all rows are identical and, as others have said, seat choice really comes down to distance from galley for quietness and speed of service.

While the service yesterday for me sitting in row 1 and 2 was very good, the single galley and extremely narrow aisles clearly make the service difficult. It sounds like service is being planned to start at row 1 and row 17 simultaneously, and meet in the middle - but subject to change. The front toilet is also particularly awkward to access during service, located through the galley right by the flight deck door, effectively leaving two toilets at door 2.

To me, the large 11-row cabin felt less dormitory-like than the 777; once you're in you're not really aware of those around you. I'd only really use the (slightly-gimmicky?) door for an extra sense of privacy while sleeping. The suite actually seems like a miniaturised version of 787 First, but I don't think it risks cannibalising First in hard product (let alone soft product).

So, for me: providing BA can make the service work, Club Suite does what BA needs to do (particularly to shut down the simplistic 2-4-2 argument). It's not really a step change for the competition, but it's a good, thoughtfully-designed (in the most part: avoid those red emergency door handles!) version of today's typical business class seats.

Edited to add: I can't understand why the WiFi is priced differently from all other fleets? Pricing per MB is much less user-friendly than by hour/whole flight.

I had a great time yesterday - thank you to all the Flyertalkers and crew - and I can't wait to fly the A350 again!

Last edited by SleepySynapse; Aug 18, 2019 at 2:53 am Reason: Comment about wifi
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Was in 10A on this morning's early 456 rotation.

CSM came around before takeoff for a chat, then after takeoff to apologise if the service was a little slow as crew were still getting used to it. Poor Paige seemed to be doing a lot of walking to serve everyone individually from the galley but made a good go of it
I was on the flight back yesterday morning to LHR, so same CSM. Had a nice chat too, not so busy as my outbound flight the day before. Be interesting to see how well it all works when they are trying to serve meals when it's full, with no room to pass people in the aisles easily, carrying food and drinks,

WiFi charging is the biggest disappointment. I doubt I'll be paying for that, as I haven't got the time to start restricting data usage on wifi.

Not a big fan of the shoulder strap, especially as it has to be on for quite some time, knowing how "20 mins to landing" is really a lot longer once you add in a few circuits round London or waiting to take off.

Still, a big improvement and as it's getting harder to get 64K on every trip and the possibility of getting a 777 seems to be increasing, it's good to have an alternative that's almost as good!
Prospero, BotB, bhbloke and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by alex67500

Plenty of room in the footwell

Hmmm not so sure myself. That looks like my ultimate nightmare!

Sure ill cope but this is obv one area where the old seat if clearly streets ahead
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Great to meet everyone yesterday and have a small gathering in the CCR beforehand. Also nice to meet up with @Tobias-UK and @morges1 too.

A few of use ventured back to WTP and WT just to check the seats out - and also get better wing photos!

In terms of the seat I don't really have any great insight beyond what other say. It's a pleasant seat and lots of storage. Seemed comfortable enough. Not sure the door is really necessary as it is pretty private anyway.

Also due to others who have previously pulled the red handle (cws ) the crew are very keen to tell passengers not to touch!

Takeoff at LHR from 10A

Landing in MAD from 10A

Takeoff in MAD from 10K
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Greetings from Hong Kong, and a real pleasure to meet some new FT faces in the CCR. It was so quiet after yall left @morges1 and I continued the party on board BA31.

Glad you all enjoyed your sojourn on the A350 ^
It was nice to meet you too! Hopefully it got a bit cleaner too, once those espresso martinis stopped hitting the floor
81romeo and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
It was nice to meet you too! Hopefully it got a bit cleaner too, once those espresso martinis stopped hitting the floor
Although I wasn't on the MAD flight, I was in the CCR at the same time as the party. I wondered what hit the floor - problem now solved!

Doc Copper
CaroFos, alex67500, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Guys it was amazing to meet you all in the CCR yesterday and great to share the joy of flying the A350

Im currently in the lounge at T4s - had a great night in Madrid - but heavily hungover now

To those at the bar in the CCR yesterday - are you ok if I post the lovely pic Charlie took of all of us?
BotB, CaroFos, Tobias-UK and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Guys it was amazing to meet you all in the CCR yesterday and great to share the joy of flying the A350

Im currently in the lounge at T4s - had a great night in Madrid - but heavily hungover now

To those at the bar in the CCR yesterday - are you ok if I post the lovely pic Charlie took of all of us?
Go ahead, I'm happy!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Up in 1A on the Sunday evening flight; cabin crew just came round door to door telling everyone not to touch the red emergency lever.

On Friday night, my door slide forward hard when we landed because it wasn't properly stowed...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I’ve enjoyed following this thread even though I’m not taking any A350 training flights. I’m passing through T5 on 25th August, so I do hope to bump into some MAD FTers and soak up some of the BA464 pre-flight party plane atmosphere .

I’m also hoping that BA will have something special laid on - I will be on the look-out for some anniversary give-aways and cake!

Does the MAD group of 25th August have any plans to celebrate BA’s special day? May I suggest a red, white and blue dress code? A small conga line through the passageways to the gate perhaps? Any ideas?

Last edited by WickedStepMother; Aug 18, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Wiki updated to this post for flight movements on the calendar as well as FTer movements! Hope everyone on the flights recently had a great time. The pictures and reviews are all great, you seem to have better images than I do! (love those wingtip photos personally and the sunset ones...

Personally, I think there is a difference in the foot cubby area of the bulkhead seats (but not much in it granted)...have a look at the A350 seat thread for my posts of the bulkhead compared to 'any other' foot cubby...the bulkhead ones (one the window seats only, so 1AK, 15AK only) have some width limitation and some depth limitation but again, maybe it was only an inch in both directions from what I can see...whether one shoves one's foot that far down is another matter but still there is some difference IMO.

We'll only really find out when people do a long haul flight and sleep in the thing for any length of time...hopefully the very small differences won't be an issue in the bulkhead seats.

Seems everyone has enjoyed it so far, anyone else want to come out of the lurking domain and be immortalised in the A350 wiki?

There are now only two calendar weeks left and only 10 actual days when it flies, so don't delay...book today!

Anyone else A350 MAD and want to get on the training flights?

Safe travels everyone. ^
1A or No Way and opus99 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by armouredant
Up in 1A on the Sunday evening flight; cabin crew just came round door to door telling everyone not to touch the red emergency lever.

On Friday night, my door slide forward hard when we landed because it wasn't properly stowed...
We (I was traveling with two friends) had a very sociable crew member who took us through the features of the Club Suite and mentioned the red lever. I mentioned the Father Ted 'red button' syndrome and I think he'd heard of it!

alex67500, KARFA, ENTP and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue
I'm doing 465 on Tuesday (which is tomorrow now...I should get to bed). Connecting down on the 777 from Heathrow. I'll be up the back in steerage getting those beautiful, beautiful wing photos...
BotB likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Nice trip on the A350 to MAD and back on the 464/465 Saturday and great to see some familiar and new faces.

Pretty much echo whats been said above re the club suite. WTP was nice and IFE screens impressive.
BotB, CaroFos, Tobias-UK and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
A fun, albeit exhausting weekend. Pretty much everything about the suites has already been said. I’d still not feel short-changed in 64/62a/k or row 7 on a 789.

Thanks so much to those who guested/offered to guest me into CCR - so happy that bucket list box has now been ticked! Also lovely to meet Tobias-UK finally after so many near-misses! And also Morges1!

Madrid was lovely. I loved the heat of the city and my hour and a half by the pool. Well worth the stay over.

Re food/service. Definitely better on the way out than the way back. I had a glass of champagne (pre-dinner drink - no?) with my tray and some water. Although I’d also asked for white wine, I was told it would come later as it was my third drink order ��. Oh - and someone needs to tell chef to go easy on the salt in the cod!! Second time I’ve had it and both times same observation - and I quite like salt!

Please BA - bring back the beef cheeks - haven’t seen them now in quite a while.

To the T4S lounge - what is the obsession with mushrooms? And who ate all the Sushi?

All in all all a great weekend and excellent company - I’m finding with this forum that you hardly ever fly alone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.