Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A350-1000 training flights meet-ups thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: george77300
NEW NOVEMBER TRAINING FLIGHTS
26 Nov (Tues) to 29 Nov (Fri) on BA456/457 and BA464/465 (Total 16 Flights)
Ding Ding, The next A350 training flight with FTers in NOV. will be:
26 Nov:
457: george77300
———————————————————————————————————
The Oct. A350 familiarisation/training flights dates to MAD (Madrid, Spain) from London Heathrow (LHR) are below; The Aug. training flights are now complete and the calendar for dates the A350 flew in Aug. is in the First post below as an archive.

Oct. 2019 A350 Schedule: (first published 20/08/2019) AT RISK OF CANCELLATION! BOOK WITH AVIOS ONLY AT THIS STAGE IF YOU ARE ONLY FLYING TO TRY OUT THE A350.

Ding Ding, The next A350 training flight with FTers in Oct. will be:

2 Oct:

465: courtster, george77300

5 Oct.
456: plunet +1, Thomas PL +1
464: MrMutton, WoodleyBeacon
465: MrMutton, WoodleyBeacon

6 Oct:

464: Pack
465: Pack, plunet +1

7 Oct:

457: davm666

NO A350 TRAINING FLIGHTS AFTER OCTOBER 7TH. (7TH IS THE LAST DAY!)

If you wish to join in, please post your name directly into the wiki or in the thread and someone will add you. Format for new days or flights:

There is quite a bit of information in post 1 where a FAQ has been written to answer most questions you may have, please read that first! If you notice something missing or an error, please post and this will be added or corrected.

Updated to Post #1394
Print Wikipost

BA A350-1000 training flights meet-ups thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london

Look where the 787s went. Cdg and arn. Short hops or cargo routes.
this time though BA pilots can probably practice on Iberia’s A350.
They cant.They are not licensed to fly them without going through IB safety training etc.

Like before BA will be carrying out short training flights to get the required number of sectors. Watch out for the usual suspects.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
They cant.They are not licensed to fly them without going through IB safety training etc.

Like before BA will be carrying out short training flights to get the required number of sectors. Watch out for the usual suspects.
Given BA pilots flew with Qantas before A380 introduction which is a totally different authority/licencing system, flying with IB wouldn’t actually be that difficult. Thomson pilots flew with BA (on the 777) and Virgin pilots flew with Thomson during 787 introduction.

The 350 is effectively a variant of the 380 (5 day conversion course) and many of the initial pilots will be on the 380 prior to 350 introduction. I think it’s a big assumption that there will be any sustained short haul ops. Operating the Frankfurt on the 380 actually slowed down the rate of training, sending aircraft to chateauroux was far more effective from a flight crew training point of view. The Frankfurt operation was good for cabin crew but with the 350 being just another big twin there shouldn’t be any need to replicate this part of the operation.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:57 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:51 am
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by markle
Feel sorry for the crew though, can't imagine anything worse than working in a flight full of FTers
Why not? I think it would be great! Push the trolley down the aisle throwing gin and champagne out left right and centre, lots of people who enjoy flying, and who are excited to be with you for a couple of hours. Party! Much rather than than a bunch of grump DYKWIA-types who are rude and surly.

Only issue would be how soon after wheels up does the bar run out; I think it was about 100 minutes on the A350 to HEL on the way to TLL with 12 other FTers..!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by MrMutton
Why not? I think it would be great! Push the trolley down the aisle throwing gin and champagne out left right and centre, lots of people who enjoy flying, and who are excited to be with you for a couple of hours. Party! Much rather than than a bunch of grump DYKWIA-types who are rude and surly.

Only issue would be how soon after wheels up does the bar run out; I think it was about 100 minutes on the A350 to HEL on the way to TLL with 12 other FTers..!
Until the crew raided the BoB from Y
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Oh
My
God

Yes, yes, yes, so up for this again!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:54 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by rapidex

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Given BA pilots flew with Qantas before A380 introduction which is a totally different authority/licencing system, flying with IB wouldn’t actually be that difficult. Thomson pilots flew with BA (on the 777) and Virgin pilots flew with Thomson during 787 introduction.

The 350 is effectively a variant of the 380 (5 day conversion course) and many of the initial pilots will be on the 380 prior to 350 introduction. I think it’s a big assumption that there will be any sustained short haul ops. Operating the Frankfurt on the 380 actually slowed down the rate of training, sending aircraft to chateauroux was far more effective from a flight crew training point of view. The Frankfurt operation was good for cabin crew but with the 350 being just another big twin there shouldn’t be any need to replicate this part of the operation.
Thanks both, good to hear the different views and ones to take into account for whether this goes ahead (short haul training flights) or not...I'll hope it does for purely selfish reasons but always good to know information behind why and what may affect this...

They may even do this to help raise the marketing profile and do a 'media' day or something similar so will remain optimistically realistic for now.

Great to see the enthusiasm for an FT seating session!

Any other bits that may factor into the A350 short haul training being done?

So far: ARN/MAD/FRA are choices. Looking like 2019 for when...would be interesting if they do tie this into any 100 years of BA press / marketing. (hope so!)

As to crew enjoying/being repelled to the point of changing shifts: a mixed bag...some will love it and thrive on this, some will want to avoid it...we have both types on the FT forum (long live diversity)...I can see both sides to be honest. As a pax it can be great fun if the crew are interested and able to interact, but equally, there have been times when crew were trying to do nice things and some FTers published things they were asked not to (including pics) or simply the crew didn't have time (due to training or other factors) so some FTers may have felt left out or let down (unfairly to the crew)...so, maybe we'd get lucky and have a crew that embraces an aviation mad group of FTers and try where possible to make the trip that slight bit more memorable/special but equally, the thrill of a new plane and simply flying should be enough along with the enthusiasm of the fellow FTers.

And 100 minutes to drink the bar dry is no record I can promise you...for those so inclined, you can do this far quicker and still not impact the good vibe and time of those that do not drink or find other aspects more enjoyable, again we are a diverse bunch! And you may find that the last bottle of champagne that one gets handed causes other FTers to later post and complain! (rightly so as they didn't get any! My apologies again for that situation at the time...I'll do more drinking in the lounge this time so sparing you on the plane... )

safe travels everyone.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:55 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
My one and only A380 flight was on a BA plane operating a LHR-FRA rotation during the initial familiarity training. With only circa 150 pax on board and probably 25% of the usual fuel load I recall the plane seemed to shoot off the runway with the engines barely above idle (am sure this was not the case in reality).

Given my long-haul flying days are long over I will try and get an A350 flight on BA if they operate short-haul ops for a while during EIS
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Yes please.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Very happy to be part of this regardless of destination
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:04 pm

HEL yeah, MAD for it, etc.!

Thanks in advance for organising, BotB, morges1 & co. ^
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Definitely up for this! Count me in!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: B A Gold
Yes add me to the list too ..... Could have a queue at First Check In that morning!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
My thanks [not] to those who couldn't be arrsed to answer a simple question from a non-Geek.

I am now broadly informed, after a few minutes on Google. Your names are going in the book
T8191, I predict the first longhaul destinations to be HND and PVG for the following reasons:
1) Whilst the A350s are due to replace 744s on a one for one basis, BA will want to maximise its return through fuel savings on some of its longer routes. For this reason, I see them displacing 77Ws which, in turn, will replace 744s on routes like SAN, DEN or PHX. I also rule out SIN-SYD (initially) in case of tech issues at an outstation.
2) As we know, the A350 will feature a new ClubWorld seat, and for this reason they will likely deploy it on premier routes and where they face competition, for example. Another reason why you won't see them in SAN or PHX!
3) It is likely, in my opinion, that the A350 will feature fewer than 16 seats in F; perhaps 10 or 12. Anecdotally, I am aware that F redemptions are easier to come by on both PVG and NRT routes. Hence, the A350!

Of course, I could be completely wrong!!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I'll join in if schedule, etc permit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.