Search

LCY row 1 - seating question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
LCY row 1 - seating question

hey all,

i cannot remember, is 1B from LCY similar to 1C out of LHR as in it has more legroom where I can stretch my legs out into the galley? Or same legroom as in 1A - just trying to figure out which one of the two to choose. I usually pick 1C out of LHR and then, thanks to TS have 1A often blocked anyway, so sit there for take off and landing and then move to 1C in flight as more legroom, was hoping to do the same for my city flight, but if it’s all the same will just grab 1A.

Its BA3277 tomorrow btw.

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is an Embraer 70 going to DUS (for those of us who haven't yet managed to memorise the timetable). And 1C and 1D have about 1cm more knee room than 1A and 1B. It's nothing like as good as the Embraer 90, where 2C and 2D have huge legroom and knee room, Arguably the other rows on the E70 have more legroom, in terms of space under the seat in front.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

What? They have gotten rid of the “do you know all the BA routes, flight numbers and aircrafts” test when signing up to the FT BA forum? What has this place come to?

apologies, should have included that info. Guess row 2 it shall be then...

thanks for your help c-w-s

And for the statistics: I was put in Y by my company and had to upgrade myself (£69). I guess that says a lot about me liking my job for accepting a Y policy for European flights 😄
Sealink and florens like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I'm not sure I would upgrade from LCY on a short leg as there is no lounge and 2-2 seating on the 170/190 but everybody will feel differently and I hope you enjoy the experience.

Regards

TBS
orbitmic, rossmacd and SuperstarDJ like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
I'm not sure I would upgrade from LCY on a short leg as there is no lounge and 2-2 seating on the 170/190 but everybody will feel differently and I hope you enjoy the experience.
They do TS in a particular way on LCY so that single passengers usually will get an empty seat next to them. As it stands it looks like there are 2 passengers and 12 seats, so the OP will probably be able to swap seats if they feel so inclined. But yes, no lounge in LCY and a less than amazing lounge on the return from DUS.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They do TS in a particular way on LCY so that single passengers usually will get an empty seat next to them. As it stands it looks like there are 2 passengers and 12 seats, so the OP will probably be able to swap seats if they feel so inclined. But yes, no lounge in LCY and a less than amazing lounge on the return from DUS.
Hi,

Thanks for that c-w-s. On my LCY flights in has usually been full with people beside me ( very small sample of fights I admit) but if TS works then it will be good.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Fully Agreed on the “it’s not worth it” comments.

But I wanted the extra 35 tier points so I am gaining Gold on a flight back to London. Otherwise it was going to occur “on the flight out of London” and a further 4 weeks until I am back at Heathrow to see what all this Flounge and First Wing talk is all about. While the way it should work out now I am making Gold on a Sunday and fly the following Friday evening out of LHR again.

Of course the other reason for me to gain gold earlier was so I can start posting in the “Gold Personal Greeting” Thread faster. Indeed, one of other big reason why I am chasing Gold is so I can post in more FT threads. I have found FT is quite discriminatory on that front and I decided to stand up for myself and become part of “that” group. 😉

Finally thanks to Bisonrav I don’t feel bad at all about the £69 I spent on this...

I actually said to my other half “but there is this one guy who spends much more on getting status “faster”... so you really are lucky” with what I am doing.

Actually, I do wonder how many of us have used Bisonrav as an excuse so far already...?

So, a big shout out from me at least, Bisonrav
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Spend your money how you like!

Too many naysayers here (inexplicably chasing Gold while hating BA).

I love CityFlyer. Flying J tomorrow from TXL. In J.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
I love CityFlyer. Flying J tomorrow from TXL. In J.
I did it in J on Friday. (The difference between ET and CE at the time I booked was almost insignificant.)

9 passengers in five rows of CE. No hot towels, drinks served well after the meal and no offers of top-ups, no tea and coffee service. For most of the journey both cabin crew members were serving in the ET cabin. Better than travelling in ET, of course, but very far from being a premium experience.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I've upgraded on the DUS-LCY flight before, for the points rather than the experience. Tried to upgrade from LCY but each time I've asked at the desk they say they don't do any AUPs at LCY, only complete repricing Has that changed?

Racked my brains, tried google too, but what is TS?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:48 am

TS = theoretical seating

and I think I remember a previous poster stating that AUPs are not possible from LCY - will try to find the post
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:49 am

Link to TS thread here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ts-status.html
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by AlisonB84
I flew back from Berlin to City on Friday evening (5pm) and 1A remained empty - I was in 1B - which given the fairly busy flight I can only assume was TS at work. Very possible, being ITB week, that there were fewer Golds than usual and more occasional flyers who only visit the odd conference. The spike in hotel room prices should deter general travel during ITB.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Tried to upgrade from LCY but each time I've asked at the desk they say they don't do any AUPs at LCY, only complete repricing Has that changed?
Lucanesque, I wanted to AUP my LCY-KEF flight last week (6 seats in J) and was sent to the ticketing desk by the check in staff where I then asked for the AUP price (in MMB this was shown at around £525) and the ticketing lady told me that AUP are only ‘really’ available from LHR and LGW, as they will have to charge £100 change fee plus fare difference when done at city.

When I asked her what the reason behind that was she said “because we do not have lounges or fast track here at city”, to which I responded that surely this should make it cheaper to AUP from LCY than AUP’s from LGW and LHR and not more expensive. She didn’t have an answer to that. Anyway she quoted me £250 in the end which was about £300 cheaper than what MMB said so I guess one could say it was an “offer”. But at six free seats I was slightly surprised it was not cheaper.

Just to be clear - this upgrade was not an AUP but a POUG when checking in.

Anyway, I too was wondering what the reason behind this was, and it seems that I am not the only one with that question/issue... I was initially thinking that this may be because it is a Cityflier operated flight, but then, as others have mentioned above, I have been offered an AUP for a flight INTO city before as well, so that surely means it cannot be because it is not a BA flight.

Btw, I have selected 2D in the end and will report back tonight if I had more or less legroom than in row 1.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlisonB84
TS = theoretical seating

and I think I remember a previous poster stating that AUPs are not possible from LCY - will try to find the post
Ahhh... of course - doh! I feel like I've failed my annual FT assessment for not remembering all the acronyms

Originally Posted by mcgol
When I asked her what the reason behind that was she said “because we do not have lounges or fast track here at city”, to which I responded that surely this should make it cheaper to AUP from LCY than AUP’s from LGW and LHR and not more expensive. She didn’t have an answer to that. Anyway she quoted me £250 in the end which was about £300 cheaper than what MMB said so I guess one could say it was an “offer”. But at six free seats I was slightly surprised it was not cheaper.

Anyway, I too was wondering what the reason behind this was, and it seems that I am not the only one with that question/issue... I was initially thinking that this may be because it is a Cityflier operated flight, but then, as others have mentioned above, I have been offered an AUP for a flight INTO city before as well, so that surely means it cannot be because it is not a BA flight.
That's exactly what I've been told before - they don't have the same services, don't do AUP, and they are only available at LHR and LGW. I thought at first, maybe it's a Cityflier thing too, although I know I can go to the desk at AMS, DUS, and ZHR and pay for an AUP at the standard rates of around €69-89

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.