Wiki Posts
Search

"May I call you by your first name, sir?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Mine contains 80% consonants, so if that's the reason they're asking me, I don't mind so much. It will probably be better for my blood pressure if I assume as much from now on.

That 80% consonants may explain things. It wouldn't be too easy to pronounce it, even if they ask how.

I'm assuming from the high constants % it's not exactly easy to pronounce. For many "foreigners" (as in non-native of the area of origin of one's name) that's probably about as stressful as being asked to pronounce "Bydgoszcz" right the first time without being told how it's pronounced.
HIDDY and Lefly like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Nils21
Why would a British call center agent skip a part of the skript and his/her Indian counterpart not?
One possible answer could be that the British worker has a union and laws to protect his/her job, I guess it's hardly as good in India, is it?
It’s a good question and one I can’t fully answer. The call centre I worked at certainly wasn’t unionised. Nor did it offshore to India (Eastern Europe and SE Asia in my case).

I don’t think employment laws played any part either. Along with most of my collleagues, I was regularly called out on “coachings” for not asking if I can use a customers first name. But the point was quickly dropped when we said a good number of callers did not appreciate the question, and even when we reverted to “Mr/Mrs Smith”, the “damage” was done. We even suggested script changes which fell on deaf ears.

What I suspect made the difference, was that in the UK, we were directly employed by the company, and such script deviations were easily justified. In an outsourced environment, employees are going to be targeted on a % adherence to script, with potential pentalties for non-compliance for the outsourcing vendor.

Are BA agents in India direct BA employees? Or employed by an offshoring company?
Nils21 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by GM1985
Are BA agents in India direct BA employees? Or employed by an offshoring company?
I think we can all guess the answer to that question.
GM1985 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:44 pm

I think we can all guess the answer to that question.
Indeed! Which may answer the initial premise of your question. Talking to any offshore agent, regardless of location, will mean they are probably much more faithful to “the script” than an agent who is a direct employee and has a little more latitude to feel their way through the call.

So does the question become why do BA (and others) insist on this in their script? Why not simply improve their CRM with the addition of a simple field in BAEC profiles for “preferred form of address” and have all agents use that?

</sarcasm>
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both the UA and AA boards have a thread for "the most insignificant thing one can complain of. Perhaps this board ought to have such a thread too. Or perhaps they ought to all be merged.

Times change. More and more people prefer a given name and as time goes on that number will increase. Hence the question. If as A B, you want to be called "Mr. B" and not "A" just say so when asked. There, it wasn't so hard.
NickB, Boten and GM1985 like this.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 11, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:55 pm

Personally, I agree Often1. But titles, forms of address and the surrounding etiquette is one of those topics that either mean a great deal to people, or is something people couldn’t care less about.

Much like Gold member greetings, lounge access, CE catering...

is there time to consolidate the entire BAEC board to a single thread?
lukew likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:57 pm

One strategy used by some companies is to include a field in the profile details for preferred form of address, so individual customers can indicate if they'd prefer Mr. Jones, David, DJ Jazzy or whatever... have that pop up on the call centre agent's screen, and we're set.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:49 pm

Many moons ago, the organisation I worked for had a huge number of titled customers, so much so that all new employees underwent a module during induction covering how to address customers correctly.
Passmethesickbag and Nils21 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:18 pm

Just had to make two calls which were routed to the Indian Call Centre. Both agents asked me this question, which I've also been asked by other ICCs for Three Mobile and such like (who knows, maybe by the same agents).

Is this a term of endearment in India? I just find it intensely annoying, as I find that asking me whether I want to pretend to be their friend or a bit of a dick is both in itself a discourtesy and waste of time, and I and tend to just snap back that they call me whatever they like. This genuinely is my attitude in this matter, but I still find the question very annoying, because for the rest of the call, they either don't address me by anything at all (as a normal person would), or they insert my first name in every goddamn sentence they speak. Are they actually paid more the longer the call drags on? That would explain a lot.
I do some consulting work for a hotel chain and they went through a long period of testing of what to call customers. They found that the majority of customers preferred their first name to be used (which impacted positively on how they viewed the entire check-in and check-out process), but that there were a minority who hated it as they considered it disrespectful. So they just ask now during the check-in process, and it's inputted into the computer for future reference. I've noticed something similar happen with numerous UK call centres over the last couple of years and although I have no idea, I imagine they've done the same sort of customer research. Personally, I prefer being asked even on the phone, although I won't snap back if they didn't, it's often not an easy job, nor a well-paid one.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I would not mind if someone asked me if they could call me by my first name instead or Mrs. Aquamarine, but I HATE it when customer service people go straight for my first name as if we're great friends already.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
<snip>
I don't think I would be able to resist replying, 'No, you may call me Sir'.
<snip>
When I first moved to the UK (many moons ago) from Germany (where surname is all that is used in business and there is a formal 'you' as well in the language), I must admit that it took me a bit of time to get used to everyone using first name basis again...that first week, when a supplier phoned up and I was providing my contact details to them, the line was very poor and they didn't quite catch the 'Mr.' so I was having to repeat quite a bit and in trying to say 'Mr.' I was using other words to help with the poor communications...so said, 'Mr. as in Sir....'

A week later in the post some information came addressed to Sir BotB... Still makes me laugh to this day, cultural differences are interesting and make the world go round...it would be boring if there were no issues during communications. (not addressed to the quoted FTer, rather a general comment.)

I do love the forum for these navel gazing exercises...and long may they continue to cause a wide variety of reactions...
nufnuf77, 20Rothmans and Nils21 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by AlisonB84
Many moons ago, the organisation I worked for had a huge number of titled customers, so much so that all new employees underwent a module during induction covering how to address customers correctly.
We had some code to achieve the same end (and this wasn't in the UK). It was my job to fxi it, as it hadn't been well done.

The authority on this subject can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcE...2KzEw
AlisonB84 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is hardly the most important issue for BA to address, but it is quite possible to include a field for "preferred name" and to have that pop up on the screen when a call comes in.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
I simply say "you may call me my Lord". I confuses the hell out of them.

LMFAO, thats a good one! Or Maharaja!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That 80% consonants may explain things. It wouldn't be too easy to pronounce it, even if they ask how.

I'm assuming from the high constants % it's not exactly easy to pronounce. For many "foreigners" (as in non-native of the area of origin of one's name) that's probably about as stressful as being asked to pronounce "Bydgoszcz" right the first time without being told how it's pronounced.
When in doubt with Polish names, make a sound like a cat coughing up a hairball, and you're 50/50 on getting it correct. (Dad's side of the family was Polish and my high school was majority Polish. When our sports teams had away competitions at the mostly ethnic Dutch high schools, all you could do was laugh at how badly the announcer would butcher something simple like Szczypniewski and then gently poke at how most of the other team was VanderSomethingstras)
20Rothmans likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.