Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT

BA First Class cabin - invite a friend from WT

Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by offtothehills
Lounge guesting is a stated benefit for certain categories of pax, cabin guesting isn't.
It's stated in internal procedures, hence all the questions and advice here. It may not be published on a website, but it is a BA policy (unlike sitting in first class on a train for example).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The question about guesting in premium cabins crops up with dreary regularity. And of course attracts the same range of responses.

Me? I just don't get it. There are few, if any, I couldn't be separated from for a few hours.
offtothehills and ttama like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by themax
I've seen this play out many times in various combinations, and at the end of the day it really is up to the CSM/CSD. From what I have been told (when asking the same question to the CSM) is that officially BA requires it's passengers to remain in their class of travel for the entirety of their flight. This is due to a number of civil aviation rules, safety reasons (load balancing, etc) and to maintain the exclusivity of their premium cabins.
I hate it when people spout off that baloney. Like the announcement you have to use the bathroom in your class for "safety and security" reasons. List one.
"Load balancing" on the big twin-aisle planes? You mean, if all the passengers moved to one side the plane would tip over and crash? You don't think there is any luggage underneath the plane that adds some weight or ballast?
If BA wanted to maintain the "exclusivity" of its premium cabins it would make it up to par, with any of the other carriers that offered first (other than UA). I think most people aren't awed by the exclusivity of the $30 motel on the side of the freeway.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The question about guesting in premium cabins crops up with dreary regularity. And of course attracts the same range of responses.

Me? I just don't get it. There are few, if any, I couldn't be separated from for a few hours.
It's the same people who need to sit next to each other on a domestic flight, and thus the flight attendant is requesting you to change your window/aisle seat for a middle seat.

But I think the "guesting" isn't about being together, but about allowing someone else to enjoy first-class gratis.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by 710 77345
It's stated in internal procedures, hence all the questions and advice here. It may not be published on a website, but it is a BA policy (unlike sitting in first class on a train for example).
Thank you for the info. So it's BA's policy re guesting into the F cabin? Gosh I'm amazed at that. Can we have two guests in? 14 x 2 would make for a big party upfront! Surely it's at at the CC's discretion? Whereas guesting in to the lounge is expected and more or less always granted.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:59 pm

This query is a bit off-topic, but what's the opinion on 2 F passengers having a drink or dinner together using a buddy seat? Just seen the buddy seat mentioned in earlier comments.

Obviously no intention of being loud and/or obnoxious but also wouldn't be whispering. Our seats are 1A and 2A on a 777 on the 297 departing 3.45pm so shouldn't be disrupting sleep initially.

Novice F here and don't want to end up meeting a DYKWIA Gold.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mks6
This query is a bit off-topic, but what's the opinion on 2 F passengers having a drink or dinner together using a buddy seat? Just seen the buddy seat mentioned in earlier comments.

Obviously no intention of being loud and/or obnoxious but also wouldn't be whispering. Our seats are 1A and 2A on a 777 on the 297 departing 3.45pm so shouldn't be disrupting sleep initially.

Exactly what the buddy seat is designed for Enjoy!
Tobias-UK, Lucanesque and Mks6 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mks6

That's what the buddy seat is for - dining/chatting/drinking with other F pax. Although it's a 3.45pm departure, some pax may be joining from another flight and be tired or such like. But no reasonable person should object to quiet chatting for relatively shortish periods. It's when it goes on for ages...

Enjoy your flight.
Mks6 likes this.

Last edited by offtothehills; Mar 12, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:08 pm

I find it pretty amazing that there's a built-in mechanism at BA to evaluate these situations (ie. bringing it up with the CSM/CSD for discussion/negotiation) as if it's the norm and that people on this board experience this all the time (whether by witnessing others doing it or being the ones inviting "guests"). The idea of bringing in extra bodies into the F cabin is especially striking considering how many legitimate passengers BA squeezes into its F cabin to begin with (and compared to other airlines). I have flown F with BA many times and thankfully don't remember witnessing this. The protocol should be very simple, unless there's some emergency, "no" or the F passenger should go to the back.
offtothehills and ttama like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:18 pm

IMO, it either is policy or not, and I'd prefer not.
Discretion is sometimes not discrete.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think BA should have the policy similar to KARFA's suggestion when Group Boarding was initially being discussed.

Guesting in F

1) Me
2) Never ever anyone else
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:42 pm
Suspended

On the 744s, especially if the visitor is across from 1AK or any seat in Rows 4 and 5 it's annoying even if it's allowed - These seats are quite close to each other and you can always hear the conversation unless you put your headphones on.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by NYC1
The protocol should be very simple, unless there's some emergency, "no" or the F passenger should go to the back.
The difference being, 787 excepted, that the F pax will have a buddy seat, the Y/W/J pax may not have any empty seats near them at all. Its all about the respect those passengers show for those around them. Of course there will be plenty of F passengers who are loud and annoying too and you cant do too much about them!

First post so play nice.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
First post so play nice.

The great and the good are probably asleep/in the air so I will take it upon myself to say the first welcome, EDIwanderer! Always good to make the transition from lurker to poster. I'm sure you are already aware of the wealth of information shared here by the contributors so it's good you have joined the action. Do keep posting now you've started.

If I knew a friend was on the flight and I was in F I would certainly hope to treat them to a drink up front. I do see the appeal. But being sensitive to disruption myself, I wouldn't make it any more than that..
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer

The difference being, 787 excepted, that the F pax will have a buddy seat, the Y/W/J pax may not have any empty seats near them at all. It’s all about the respect those passengers show for those around them. Of course there will be plenty of F passengers who are loud and annoying too and you can’t do too much about them!

First post so play nice.
Hi, and welcome. I'm sure others from far loftier heights than mine will do the official shpeil!
You are so very correct, it's all about respect, as it is across the board.
IMO, there may loud/annoying noise etc in F on occasions, although I have to say that I rarely encounter this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.