Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any Other Frequent CW Flyers Doing [a] Low-Carb [diet] ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Other Frequent CW Flyers Doing [a] Low-Carb [diet] ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mad_rich
Oh, and for G&Ts, Fevertree Naturally Light is delicious and low cal.
But far higher in sugar and calories than other well-known brands that might be perceived as less premium.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
During the Atkins craze about ten plus years ago, some airlines (United, from memory) used to board extra vegetables as a lower-carb alternative to potatoes or rice that pax could request in lieu. I thought that was a great idea.

I wish BA would offer some better alternatives to the high carb sandwiches, afternoon tea, the breakfast pastry basket, etc. The one good thing about CE extended breakfast was the meat/cheese/salad bowl, which was pretty good, if a bit monotonous as it never seemed to change month after month after month.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
But far higher in sugar and calories than other well-known brands that might be perceived as less premium.
Only 15kcal/ 100ml

If you can recommend me one that tastes as good, I'm all ears. I've never got on with the slimline tonics I've tried.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Another benefit of low carb is that you do not get hunger pangs.....hence much easier to avoid eating on flights altogether.

thank god Champagne and spirits are in otherwise I would go nuts on a flight!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
During the Atkins craze about ten plus years ago, some airlines (United, from memory) used to board extra vegetables as a lower-carb alternative to potatoes or rice that pax could request in lieu. I thought that was a great idea.

I wish BA would offer some better alternatives to the high carb sandwiches, afternoon tea, the breakfast pastry basket, etc. The one good thing about CE extended breakfast was the meat/cheese/salad bowl, which was pretty good, if a bit monotonous as it never seemed to change month after month after month.
Carbs are cheap.... afternoon tea and those other carby “meals” are for BA’s benefit, not for pax. Think about the BA sandwiches in the lounges with their tiny fillings. You have to take about 10 of the bloody things to get any decent quantity of meat.
AndyFlyer and Oaxaca like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Out of interest would GF happily do you a burger without a bun and with some vegetables on the side?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by layz
Out of interest would GF happily do you a burger without a bun and with some vegetables on the side?

Yes, They are quite open to customisation from my experience, in regards to veg though usually quicker getting the burger withouit the bun and getting the veg yourself from buffet
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I've enhanced the thread title, to make it clear that "Frequent CW Flyers doing LOW-CARB" isn't a new TP run route.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
I'm trying to stick to low carb diet since and have lost 15 Kg. As others hav said I feel great for it. It is a bit of a challenge but cheese and beef whilst cutting out the root veggies has worked reasonably well for me. Deflecting the bread offerings is the new norm for me.

Even the Fever Tree Naturally Light Tonic has 8 grams of carbs per bottle. I have been trying to keep to around 20 grams of carbs per day.

I once made the mistake of ordering the diabetic meal in F with BA..........It had the largest serving of white rice I have ever seen. They might as well have just served it with a bowl of sugar!!! (I suspect not BA's fault, more down to advice from diabetes UK. )

I have found most cabin crews to be as accomodating as possible.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
carbs are a factor as are calories.

my tips in general (and in particular when one is trying to drop (a kg or two in my case) to be beach body ready):
- avoid booze (I don't think. not on planes, not off planes. that's a couple hundred of calories saved every day compared to others who look at flights as a free bar for x hours)
- skip desert. it'll never make you feel fuller / less hungry so if you need something else, a bread roll is better than desert. though I do treat myself most days - but if i need to drop a bit, skip it.
- avoid carbs if you can - eat in the lounge (avoiding carbs where possible) so that you aren't hungry on the plane and thus can skip the bread. bread is the worst offender. eating the rice or potatoes with a dish is small fish by comparison.
- walk. always. stairs rather than lists. walk-way rather than train from 5A to 5B/C. walk the escalators. i walk to work instead of tube or bus. takes an extra 10/15 mins. on mondays, I walk 2.5 hours in total. take tube or bus would cut that to 1.5 hours but I have the extra hour. listen to podcasts or make calls.
- smile. burns more calories than being grumpy.

et voila.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by layz

I tend to order the BF burger without bread. I'm sure they would give you some salad if you requested it. Failing that, you could get some lettuce, cucumber tomato from the salad bar.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Varies
Don't BA already offer a diabetic meal, for those that need to go low carb for medical reasons as opposed to personal choice? Would that work for you ?
Old May 10, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
Don't BA already offer a diabetic meal, for those that need to go low carb for medical reasons as opposed to personal choice? Would that work for you ?
Diabetic meals are sugar free but not necessarily low carb.
Years ago, I ordered a DBML on another airline and comprised low fat spreads,, complex carbs and artificial sweeteners, therefore unsuitable for a low-carb diet.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Varies
With idiopathic hypoglycaemia, my dietician has me on a reasonably balanced but fairly high (complex) carb diet, eating every 2 hours, with extra glucose if exercising (which sometimes is simply walking slowly). I can confirm that these kind of diets lead to weight gain, and I envy you low-carbers !

My carry-on bag always contains glucose tablets and cereal bars in case I'm low-carbed by the airline (or highjacked).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.