Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding "Steps" at JER

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by ANstar
A bit unfair blaming airlines when usually they assistance providers are now usually provided by the airport.
A fair point, ANstar, and I should have been more careful in what I said. However, from a passenger’s perspective they are dealing with the airline (regardless of which one); the airport services may be contracted out, but the passenger has no direct relationship with them. If the fault for the non-provision of a service lies with a subcontractor, it is still up to the airline to resolve - whether on the day, or in terms of renegotiating the contract with the supplier. The legal relationship between the airline and subcontractor matters not one jot to the person who has been left behind, for whom it is often a matter of dignity and respect. Indeed, for any organisation to then blame a subcontractor (however fairly!) would likely come across to the person affected as passing the buck, and shirking a legal and moral responsibility.

I suppose a comparable - though less extreme - example would be the non-provision of a meal on a flight. While this might be due to Gate Gourmet (or whoever) screwing up an order, the passenger will understandably be annoyed with, and take it to with, the airline - and it will be up to the airline to do service recovery.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stu1985
What a hoo-ha!
You might think so, but actually it would make boarding a lot easier for people who aren't so steady on their feet and would otherwise need airport assistance. If these become common place I could actually downgrade my assistance level from 2 to 1.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good for the elderly however for a young one like me it looks as if there's three times more walking involved.
Surely a young one as you can handle a bit of extra walking?
HIDDY, T8191 and squawk like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:41 pm
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by aidy
have they stolen these from Hawaiian?
That was my initial thought

We did a few inter island hops with Hawaiian a few years ago and found the ramps great. Easy for families with young kids, elderly etc. My teenage daughter ended up injured and on crutches during the trip and these ramps made it much easier boarding aircraft than standard steps.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good for the elderly however for a young one like me it looks as if there's three times more walking involved.
by the time T8191 has got down that ramp he will have walked halfway home!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by thejohn
The only disadvantage I can see it looks like you have to "walk" more than twice as far up and down in the pouring rain as opposed to regular steps.
N.B. read pouring rain as liquid sunshine.

John
What makes the walk seem longer is the fact that there is obviously a shortcut with steps but it's 'staff only' = 'not for stupid passengers'.

Grrr!

This annoys me the same way I'm annoyed when boarding/getting off a plane using steps and you have to cross an airside road. There's usually a staff member helping you cross the road. How do I manage the rest of the time? I think I'm old enough not to need a lollipop-person..
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by K&C

That was my initial thought

We did a few inter island hops with Hawaiian a few years ago and found the ramps great. Easy for families with young kids, elderly etc. My teenage daughter ended up injured and on crutches during the trip and these ramps made it much easier boarding aircraft than standard steps.

Hi,

I used the ramp in 2016 in Kona ( KOA) before a Hawaiian 717 back to HNL and it was interesting compared to using the usual steps

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:36 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
I've used the ramp a few times this year in Jersey and it's certainly a lot further to walk than the stairs but it does feel like the flow into/off the plane is faster.

They can get surprisingly slippy in heavy rain though, as I found out last month
That confirms my - general - experience that rubber floor and water don´t mix well ...
So, some sort of roof is likely needed - but checking the manufacturers website that is availlable (that version is prominently shown right on the front page ...)
Can´t imagine ground staff brushing off water and drying it with a mop every time it´s needed ...
For handling of wheelchair/handicapped passengers this kind of "ramp" is certainy a great improvement.
... and a nice side effect is - as already mentioned by other posters - that it decongests the boarding process avoiding the bottleneck situation at the aircraft door. Thus ultimately speeding up things a bit.
The only downsides I see is that it eats up much more storage space and is likely more expensive compared to the common ones.

Last edited by MHG; Mar 8, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by squawk

A fair point, ANstar, and I should have been more careful in what I said. However, from a passenger’s perspective they are dealing with the airline (regardless of which one); the airport services may be contracted out, but the passenger has no direct relationship with them. If the fault for the non-provision of a service lies with a subcontractor, it is still up to the airline to resolve - whether on the day, or in terms of renegotiating the contract with the supplier. The legal relationship between the airline and subcontractor matters not one jot to the person who has been left behind, for whom it is often a matter of dignity and respect. Indeed, for any organisation to then blame a subcontractor (however fairly!) would likely come across to the person affected as passing the buck, and shirking a legal and moral responsibility.

I suppose a comparable - though less extreme - example would be the non-provision of a meal on a flight. While this might be due to Gate Gourmet (or whoever) screwing up an order, the passenger will understandably be annoyed with, and take it to with, the airline - and it will be up to the airline to do service recovery.
My experience at LHR is that the airlines are incredibly frustrated by the service offered by the airport and would ratherbe able to have their own contractors... but LHR don't allow it.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M, HHonors Gold
These ramps are also used In EYW for EMB aircrafts
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
Surely a young one as you can handle a bit of extra walking?
Walk Dear? Stagger more like.

I've seen those ramp things elsewhere - VLC I think.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mutu
used it on Saturday. Very straightforward
More straightforwardbackandforward.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Saw a few of these parked up at LGW this morning next to the taxiway on the way out to the Easterly runway.

indiGo use these all over India too. Thought it was just an Indian thing until I saw this thread.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue :(
Exeter has a set of these since last year.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm delighted this thread has engendered such a response. Whilst my starter was obviously JER-related, I had never seen or used such an item ... anywhere. Clearly JER is belatedly playing catch-up!

Now ... what about the covered steps, so keenly desired in our wet climate, as shown by jday at GCI? Why are they so damned rare?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:24 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by T8191
I'm delighted this thread has engendered such a response. Whilst my starter was obviously JER-related, I had never seen or used such an item ... anywhere. Clearly JER is belatedly playing catch-up!

Now ... what about the covered steps, so keenly desired in our wet climate, as shown by jday at GCI? Why are they so damned rare?
Just a guess: significantly more $$$$$ plus the need for higher height clearance (some airports have height limitations for underpasses)
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.