Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday on Board!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just buy/bring a small cake and give it discreetly to the crew and ask them to serve it to your son after his main meal or mid flight.
That's a wonderful, and I think most-practical idea. Thank you!
ThatT1Feeling and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I flew on the babybus from LCY on my 50th. I had mentioned this to another passenger at the gate when he asked me the purpose of my trip. I imagine the ground staff overheard and told the crew. The first drink out of the galley on that flight was an unsolicited glass of pink fizz for me!
Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm routinely on one or more flights on my birthday (and I try to make sure they're not down the back) and have understandably never had any recognition, so I wouldn't rely on it. I like the idea of buying something on the ground and then asking the crew to deliver it to your child. They're not going to be any more impressed by a cake being free from BA than if you'd bought them one and had it delivered
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Ask if he can visit the cockpit too, before or after the flight. The flight crew will love to show him around...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just buy/bring a small cake and give it discreetly to the crew and ask them to serve it to your son after his main meal or mid flight.
Originally Posted by thegamebird
That's a wonderful, and I think most-practical idea. Thank you!
Just make sure that security doesn't have any reason to refuse it. Some cakes may not pass the "no liquids" rule.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm flying on my birthday in WTP. I'm silver and have had the odd upgrade. If the flight is looking full, would a birthday increase the upgrade likely hood?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
I am toying with going to the PHX do the Friday of that weekend would be a very significant birthday.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by barneyb
I'm flying on my birthday in WTP. I'm silver and have had the odd upgrade. If the flight is looking full, would a birthday increase the upgrade likely hood?
Probably not I'm afraid. The exact criteria for free upgrades are deliberately obscure. However, having a birthday is a good reason for people to pay extra for a bit of luxury, so BA would be damaging their own revenues if it became known that an upgrade was much more likely because of a birthday.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Indeed, a couple of years ago I flew to SYD and "lost" my birthday in a combination of DXB transit and the air. Perfect.
A friend of mine did the opposite: planned a round the world trip so that he crossed the international date travelling east on the evening of his birthday, so he experienced it twice
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I had a birthday on board once, in F (OpUp from J! I have to wonder if someone was being nice to me).

The staff did this amazing thing (which I'm sure I've talked about here before) of getting all the crew to sign a card, and gave me a little dessert cake and sang happy birthday to me (reeeeally quietly, it was after lights-out, and I was in 4K).

The card is very special to me and I still have it.

So my suggestion to you is: As well as doing the above suggestion of bringing a small cake on board, but also buy a nice card with lots of space to write on, and ask if they can get the staff to sign it?

This way your son will have a neat souvenir from the trip that you can point to afterwards.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Probably not I'm afraid. The exact criteria for free upgrades are deliberately obscure. However, having a birthday is a good reason for people to pay extra for a bit of luxury, so BA would be damaging their own revenues if it became known that an upgrade was much more likely because of a birthday.
Make sense - I think I'll see if I can upgrade with points. Also noticed it will be in the old WTP cabin on a 4 class LGW 777...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:30 am

12 year old me would have been ecstatic to be flying on my birthday, let alone across the pond!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Flew on my birthday and treated myself to an Avios upgrade from a J ticket to F, LHR-IAH on a 77W. The whole cabin was in quite a jovial mood! After takeoff, everyone in the cabin was walking around, making conversation! Was quite rare I believe. Consisted of 2 couples, myself and one gentleman travelling for business. My birthday came up in conversation (the reason I chose to fly F, as I was explaining to another passenger). Crew came (after overhearing I believe, or perhaps someone told them) and offered a bottle of LPGS (in a duty free bag) and never let my glass be empty! Presented this during afternoon tea for me as well. Was very nice and memorable!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by flyuk
Ask if he can visit the cockpit too, before or after the flight. The flight crew will love to show him around...
A great idea. Depending on what time you are able to board will determine if it’s likely you can get there before. Possibly mention to the gate agent before boarding starts so they can pass on to the crew. If not possible then after the flight they will be more than happy (and less busy!) to have a chat and put him in the seats.

On a similar note reference birthday cards, as a VS gold I used to get a lovely card through the post signed by the ladies in the VS gold office as well as an air miles gift. Do BA do anything similar?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Reminds of a flight on LH in F from FRA to DXB. The whole F cabin apart from me was a single family which celebrated a child's birthday during the flight. Quite some fuss made including a full size cake, of which I was generously offered a slice . As they had the LH Special Services equivalent fussing over them in the lounge, and had a lengthy receiving line waiting for them on the tarmac in DXB, perhaps their treatment does not represent the norm ....,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.