Birthday on Board!

Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Birthday on Board!

We're flying J LGW-FLL on my son's birthday. He's not overly impressed he'll be in the air as he turns 12 but I hoped we could make it a little more interesting in-flight? I wondered if there was a way I could contact BA in advance and maybe arrange to bring him a special treat or something? Or maybe, is it worth mentioning to the crew as we board? Experiences greatly appreciated! :)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
whilst the crew may do something, i wouldnt expect much.

With 300-400 pax on a flight, the averages will mean a birthday on every single flight
tapuach likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by thegamebird
We're flying J LGW-FLL on my son's birthday. He's not overly impressed he'll be in the air as he turns 12 but I hoped we could make it a little more interesting in-flight? I wondered if there was a way I could contact BA in advance and maybe arrange to bring him a special treat or something? Or maybe, is it worth mentioning to the crew as we board? Experiences greatly appreciated!
You could order him a gourmet meal maybe?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...economy-dining
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
From experience, The before booking thing doesn't get you anywhere but mention it to the CSD and they may be able to do something, Both our flights they made a fuss of us for our wedding anniversary and popped open the good stuff so it is possible but the note on the PNR not so much, Key thing is not to expect anything as if you do we will see a post on FT a few months time about how BA didnt acknowledge a 12 year olds birthday

Hope that helps
tapuach and b00mer89 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
From experience, The before booking thing doesn't get you anywhere but mention it to the CSD and they may be able to do something, Both our flights they made a fuss of us for our wedding anniversary and popped open the good stuff so it is possible but the note on the PNR not so much, Key thing is not to expect anything as if you do we will see a post on FT a few months time about how BA didnt acknowledge a 12 year olds birthday

Hope that helps
Thanks for sharing your experience. I thought it would be more of a CSD on-board thing. I don't expect a lot - a 'happy birthday to XXX who's celebrating his 12th birthday today..." kind of thing! That would mortify him and please him in equal measure! And FWIW, I would never complain on FT a lack of acknowledgment of a kid's birthday - I'll leave the moaning about petty stuff like that to others - but thanks for your comment anyway
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The gourmet menu is not available ex LGW
"Popping open the good stuff" won't be that great for a 12 year old

A small cake would be nice. I know that Swiss allows you to book a surprise cake for someone. Not sure if BA does this. The Cruz in me tells me 'no'
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
"Popping open the good stuff" won't be that great for a 12 year old

A small cake would be nice. I know that Swiss allows you to book a surprise cake for someone. Not sure if BA does this. The Cruz in me tells me 'no'
Yes, the Swiss cake thingy, that's what I was trying to establish existed. It seems not, so far, but you never know!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Ah, my bad - apologies.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:02 am

A couple of years ago I flew on my birthday in J LHR-JFK and the CSD made a real fuss of me, A bottle of the nice stuff and a birthday card signed by the pilot and crew. She said she would have upgraded me to F but it was full. Absolutely couldn’t fault BA crew on that flight. But as already mentioned, I had no expectations so it was a lovely surprise. I hope your son has a wonderful birthday.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Quietly organise something at one of the restaurants at LGW for takeaway and give it to the crew to give to your son as a surprise?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Key thing is not to expect anything ...
That reminds me of the time, a couple of years back, when I flew on my birthday and the cabin crew were lovely enough to pop open a bottle of champagne and serve me some to celebrate before we'd even left the gate! It went really well with the treat of being on the upper deck of a 747.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That reminds me of the time, a couple of years back, when I flew on my birthday and the cabin crew were lovely enough to pop open a bottle of champagne and serve me some to celebrate before we'd even left the gate! It went really well with the treat of being on the upper deck of a 747.
This is what happened to us as well as a card was really nice and wife was suitable mortified
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:15 am

I guess a real candle at 35,000 ft is a bit of a no-no....
WorldLux and thegamebird like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just buy/bring a small cake and give it discreetly to the crew and ask them to serve it to your son after his main meal or mid flight.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Hahaha I would have been mortified if that had happened to me when I was 12/13

But one day the OP's son will be pleased to be able to forget about his birthday. Indeed, a couple of years ago I flew to SYD and "lost" my birthday in a combination of DXB transit and the air. Perfect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.