Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does this ticket need to be re-issued?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Does this ticket need to be re-issued?

I booked a BA ticket out of US as XXX-LHR-PMI on BA flights and inbound as LIS-PHL-XXX on AA flights. Now I'm told that the LIS-PHL was cancelled and I was rebooked on LIS-LHR-XXX on BA with AA code-sharing (showed as AA6575 and AA61XX). The booking reference code and ticket number are kept as the same.

I'm wondering, in my case, does the ticket need to be re-issued? The ticket is booked online with a travel agent. The ticket is a BA ticket (125). I called the travel agent and they seems having no clue about it. I don't want to running into any issue when I got to the airport.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sproqit
I'm wondering, in my case, does the ticket need to be re-issued?
How far away is the flight? I'm not an expert, but I would have expected a change like this to require a ticket reissue, with the possible exception if the cancellation occurred at the last minute and you were basically re-routed as part of IRROPS recovery.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I asked a TA friend. She would expect to need to revalidate the ticket for the new routing if the flight is not already under airport control. Normally when this happens, the TA will get a notification of a schedule/routing change highlighting the need to revalidate.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
How far away is the flight? I'm not an expert, but I would have expected a change like this to require a ticket reissue, with the possible exception if the cancellation occurred at the last minute and you were basically re-routed as part of IRROPS recovery.
the flight is more than a month away.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Yes, the ticket needs to be reissued by your travel agent.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Yes, absolutely. Just walk in there (or have it e-mailed to you) and insist you want a ticket / itinerary/ printout with the NEW CONFIRMATION NUMBER, TICKET NUMBER, ROUTING, FLIGHT NUMBERS, TIMES, etc.
There should definitely be a new ticket number because of all the changes in routing, different airline, flight numbers, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
The disrupted coupons of the ticket need to be reissued.

So essentially your ticket number for sector 1 - 4 would remain the same (if done correctly your ticket should look something like)

125-123456789-90
1 XXX BAXXX J 01JAN OK FAREBASIS 01JAN31DEC 3PC
2 LHR BAXXX J 02JAN OK FAREBASIS 01JAN31DEC 3PC
3 PMI BAXXX J OK FAREBASIS 01JAN31DEC 3PC
4ARNK
5LIS AAXXX J 10JAN OK FAREBASIS 01JAN31DEC 3PC
6PHL AAXXX J 10JAN OK FAREBASIS “” “”
XXX
Under IATA 735D regulations only the disrupted coupons of your e-ticket need to be reissued which would be coupons 5-6 (or coupons 4-5 depending on if your ARNK from PMI to LIS had a coupon for it) so essentially your ticket number would stay the same for XXX LHR PMI but the disrupted sectors LIS PHL XXX have to be reissued to LIS LHR XXX so those sectors would have a new ticket number.

It should be the disrupting carrier that reissues the tickets but because AA use SABRE and BA use Amadeus the booking goes into the other airlines system as an “operating PNR” which doesn’t allow you to reissue in it! (The work around to reissue them when it’s the other carriers ticket in an operating PNR is long winded!)

And I can bet you AA will say “it’s a BA ticket number so they have control of the ticket and will reissue it” (if not already done)......

Me, personally, seeing as it’s the return sector I would leave it as the outward journey is fine, but when you arrive at LHR on your way to PMI go to the connections desk (or ticket desk in south lounge if eligible) and ask them to check to see if it’s been reissued and if still needed can they reissue it.

Although AA is the disrupting carrier because the joint business agreement on trans Atlantic routes we reissue for one another.

The ticket is not eligible to be revalidated as it’s a routing change and also the reissued sectors have to contain the endorsement “INVOL REROITE DUE TO XXXXXXX UNDER IATA RES 735D”.

Occasionally when done far in advanced some airlines or agents will reissue the whole ticket (especially if it’s unflown) but officially it’s only the disrupted coupons that require the reissue.

Last edited by ThisIsntOM; Mar 8, 2018 at 9:47 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
... NEW CONFIRMATION NUMBER, TICKET NUMBER, ROUTING, FLIGHT NUMBERS, TIMES, etc. ...
AIUI, the PNR locator (if that is what you mean by "confirmation number") would not need to change. This should be capable of being done as a rebooking within the original PNR, just as if the OP had made a voluntary change to the flights.
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Also, regardless of whether the coupons or the whole ticket gets reissued, you can still decide if you would really like that rerouting or not. You may even decide to cancel without penalty. Feel free to suggest an alternative or even to request cancellation of the whole ticket if buying something else would be cheaper right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.