BOS day flight vs night flight to UK

Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by richardwft

There are OW daytime flights from BOS, JFK and ORD. The daytime AA flight from PHL seems to have been suspended.
There are evening flights about 8pm to BOS and JFK.
A flight to HNL could be a night flight.
Jeepers... I have lead a sheltered life, I need to get out and fly more
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Another vote here for the east coast day flights. We came back to LHR from BOS on the day flight in December and are booked on the same flight over Easter and again in the summer. East cost flights are way too short to get a decent sleep and I find the day flights help us get back into local time way quicker than night flights. We tend to choose the Embassy Suites at BOS - we like the rooms, their shuttle works well and typically cheaper than the Hilton.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Definitely daytime flight. Boston and NYC flights not long enough to get any decent sleep on - it's only a few hours minus the meal services.

On the day flight you have to be up early, and land in the early evening. You can have a normal night and go to bed on time. I've done it a few times with no jet lag.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
I have always wondered whether the day flight would be good for the body clock and am slightly regretting not booking it for my upcoming trip to BOS. I am flying back overnight on the 212 and am questioning whether I should bother sleeping at all on such a short flight. Last time I took that flight I snatched a couple of hours' kip and felt worse on arrival at LHR than I probably would have done had I not slept. Although that could have also been partly due to the CC giving me two of every drink I ordered as it was a light load but a full trolley, and therefore happy hour...

On that occasion I nodded off again on the LHR-BRU, got a couple more hours at home then made it into the office for a client meeting in the afternoon perfectly compus mentus, so am thinking on this occasion I may cut my losses and not bother sleeping at all on the BOS-LHR and just get to bed early the following night. The flight is on a Saturday so will have all day Sunday to chill and tell my body that I just had a big Saturday night out (though will try not to drink as if it is..).

Advisable course of action (appreciating that YMMV)?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by manord
Trying to decide between taking a standard overnight flight home to MAN from BOS on a Wednesday night vs staying overnight at the BOS Hilton and taking the daytime flight on the Thursday morning. Both options would be WTP.
I have used the day flights from ORD/NYC a few times but it was several years ago and I can't recall whether I thought it was a good idea or not! Any opinions?
Also, the daytime flight currently looks empty for my travel date (9 seats open for sale in every bucket) - what is the likelihood of it getting cancelled?
If you don't remember the impact of the day flights you've already taken, then perhaps you weren't impressed, one way or the other.

If you want to try again, potentially waste a day and spend a couple of hundred dollars on a hotel in Boston, then there you go.

I quite enjoy the novelty of an eastbound day flight, but I'd never consider it if it entailed significant extra costs.
As for missing a day in Manchester - it's a sacrifice few of us could bear.

Cancelling the flight on a whim would be crazy. It won't happen. Airlines generally try not to build up a collection of aircraft at outstations
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aflan85
I have always wondered whether the day flight would be good for the body clock and am slightly regretting not booking it for my upcoming trip to BOS. I am flying back overnight on the 212 and am questioning whether I should bother sleeping at all on such a short flight. Last time I took that flight I snatched a couple of hours' kip and felt worse on arrival at LHR than I probably would have done had I not slept. Although that could have also been partly due to the CC giving me two of every drink I ordered as it was a light load but a full trolley, and therefore happy hour...

On that occasion I nodded off again on the LHR-BRU, got a couple more hours at home then made it into the office for a client meeting in the afternoon perfectly compus mentus, so am thinking on this occasion I may cut my losses and not bother sleeping at all on the BOS-LHR and just get to bed early the following night. The flight is on a Saturday so will have all day Sunday to chill and tell my body that I just had a big Saturday night out (though will try not to drink as if it is..).

Advisable course of action (appreciating that YMMV)?
If in Club, I'd have a light meal and my PDB on the ground, then put the bed flat at the earliest opportunity, ignore the crew and service, and get as much sleep as I could.

That said, I'd also be on the day flight or the latest possible night flight - in economy or P/E, and if reasonably close to the airport, staying awake followed by a cab home and six hours' sleep until noon might be a good option.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by Cymro
If in Club, I'd have a light meal and my PDB on the ground, then put the bed flat at the earliest opportunity, ignore the crew and service, and get as much sleep as I could.

That said, I'd also be on the day flight or the latest possible night flight - in economy or P/E, and if reasonably close to the airport, staying awake followed by a cab home and six hours' sleep until noon might be a good option.
Yes in Y sadly so will probably go for some form of the latter!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Normally I don't suffer from jetlag at all (lucky!) but I also normally avoid flying home from anywhere eastwards of ORD (so that I can get a full sleep). The BOS-LHR overnight might not give me jetlag, but I do like my full sleep, and so that quick flight will leave me short of sleep and maybe a tad grumpy.

There is also UUA availability for WTP to CW on the day flight, but I might not take the UUA anyway as the flight is arguably too short to be worth the Avios (not that I'm short of them).

On this occasion, I can write off the Thursday anyway - i.e., no need to work, etc. - although clearly there is a difference between landing in MAN at lunchtime (if connecting from the overnight) and landing at 10pm (if from the daytime flight).

But once I consider writing off the Thursday, there is also an interesting I fare CW option to DUB for about the same price as the WTP to MAN. I'd have to get myself home from DUB, and I've have to explain why on my expenses, but that looks tempting.
I do a lot of East Coast to MAN in Y or W and have usually avoided the day flights because of the lack of connections to MAN. As Blueboys999 has pointed out the problem with this flight is you can easily miss-connect to the LHR-MAN if it is delayed which gets you a second night in a hotel, this time at LHR.

I try now to take as late a TATL flight as possible so I am really tired and can go to sleep quickly (usually before pushback) with good headphones and eyemask. I then make some use of the first shorter retun day on 6 hours of sleep and crash and burn at bedtime. I then wake up on day 2 fresh and back in the UK timezone.

So I have usually gone for the later ORD-LHR flights (BA or AA), especially when the AA55 ORD-MAN was at 21:50 from ORD and now the AA734 PHL-MAN 21:00 which also has PE.

If your Dublin I class fare has creative routing opportunities could you travel via the AA734 PHL-MAN as an option with onward travel to Dublin say....... significantly later

Last edited by Baracus; Mar 8, 2018 at 5:08 am Reason: Spellink
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you don't remember the impact of the day flights you've already taken, then perhaps you weren't impressed, one way or the other.
That's more a reflection of the number of flights I've been on since then, combined with a shoddy memory.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you want to try again, potentially waste a day and spend a couple of hundred dollars on a hotel in Boston, then there you go.

I quite enjoy the novelty of an eastbound day flight, but I'd never consider it if it entailed significant extra costs.
As for missing a day in Manchester - it's a sacrifice few of us could bear.

Last edited by manord; May 1, 2018 at 3:18 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baracus
I do a lot of East Coast to MAN in Y or W and have usually avoided the day flights because of the lack of connections to MAN. As Blueboys999 has pointed out the problem with this flight is you can easily miss-connect to the LHR-MAN if it is delayed which gets you a second night in a hotel, this time at LHR.
Yes, that risk of a night in LHR would be a nusiance, but not a disaster (on this occasion only, normally I would seek to avoid that risk).

I try now to take as late a TATL flight as possible so I am really tired and can go to sleep quickly (usually before pushback) with good headphones and eyemask. I then make some use of the first shorter retun day on 6 hours of sleep and crash and burn at bedtime. I then wake up on day 2 fresh and back in the UK timezone.

So I have usually gone for the later ORD-LHR flights (BA or AA), especially when the AA55 ORD-MAN was at 21:50 from ORD and now the AA734 PHL-MAN 21:00 which also has PE.
Yes, my normal practice home from the east coast is to fly back to ORD (or similar) to connect to a longer flight (proper sleep) home, but this time the timings, as constrained by my meetings, just don't work.

If your Dublin I class fare has creative routing opportunities could you travel via the AA734 PHL-MAN as an option with onward travel to Dublin say....... significantly later
The DUB fare does price out OK with a long (month+) connection in LHR, which would mean I'd pop home in the meantime ... but I need to moderate the number of times I use an odd routing for expenses (we are allowed to, but not too often or too odd), and I have a much more deserving case coming up a month later.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
The DUB fare does price out OK with a long (month+) connection in LHR, which would mean I'd pop home in the meantime ... but I need to moderate the number of times I use an odd routing for expenses (we are allowed to, but not too often or too odd), and I have a much more deserving case coming up a month later.
Actually I was hinting you flew your BOS-DUB J flight using BOS-PHL-MAN-DUB and you possibly "forgot" to take the last leg!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Daytime trans-atlantics (west to east) are great for reducing jet-lag. For this reason alone you should take it.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The 239/238 is now operated by MF crew, they get a clear day off in Boston.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Actually I was hinting you flew your BOS-DUB J flight using BOS-PHL-MAN-DUB and you possibly "forgot" to take the last leg!
Indeed, I had the same thought. But it would still show up on expenses and so I'd have to explain it, and I'm saving my ration of odd routings for a bigger need the month after. In any case, the timings don't work for BOS-PHL-MAN (and PHL-MAN is still too short for my beauty sleep).

Last edited by manord; May 1, 2018 at 3:16 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Turns out the prices have shifted since I first looked - and now the day flight option, including the BOS Hilton hotel, is now a few hundred pounds cheaper than the overnight flight. So day flight it is.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.