Wiki Posts
Search

Struggling to find reasonable flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Struggling to find reasonable flights

I'm trying to get from Glasgow to Miami (Via LHR on BA of course) on the 11th Sep and back on the 13th Sep (WT+). But the costs are astronomical. I've tried fiddling the dates a bit but no good.
Happy to return via a day or 2 in New Jersey as I can do some business there but that makes it even worse. Honestly for 2 of us it's looking close to £10k!!

Can any help me how to do this better? Looking to stick with Oneworld if possible.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
You'll need to stay a Saturday night for decent fares. Google Flights says less than £950 each in W 11SEP - 16SEP on BA
stewardo likes this.

Last edited by richi; Mar 7, 2018 at 7:36 am Reason: add price
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
There's no way you can stretch to include a Sat night?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chistery
There's no way you can stretch to include a Sat night?
Hmm, potentially, but I'd rather not. and certainly not in Miami, very little I can do there. I could probably fill Friday with work in New Jersey though. So flying back Sat eve from Newark might work?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
The lack of a Saturday night stay is definitely hurting you here! Anyway to include a weekend?

Best I could find with no Saturday night stay was £968pp on the following routing:
11th Sept: DUB>LHR>MIA with BA in WTP and returning on 14th Sept EWR>LHR>AMS (you could prob get the LON>AMS out of LGW if you catch my drift.

Others may find better deals, but that was with a quick check and obviously you grabbing a 1-way internal from MIA>EWR.

Pilot37
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Flight + hotel booking is £2918 each (GLA-LHR-MIA) but still a massive amount to pay and as others have said a Sat night stay would reduce it. I am sure some suggestions to get it down as low as possible may be posted.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
So flying back Sat eve from Newark might work?
Flying back on Sunday would work, dropping the flight cost to £854 per person for GLA-MIA, JFK-GLA

(the reason people keep mentioning Saturday night is that for many long-haul tickets you need to spend a Saturday night at the destination to gain cheaper tickets)
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by richi
You'll need to stay a Saturday night for decent fares. Google Flights says less than £950 each in W 11SEP - 16SEP on BA
ITA suggests that the Saturday night stay does not necessarily have to be taken in Miami. One could fly:-
  • GLA-LHR-MIA on Tue 11 September
  • MIA-LHR on Thu 13 September
  • LHR-GLA on Sun 16 September
It may be possible to do that from about £1,055.
richi, PETER01 and florens like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Problem is, most conferences I can stretch to sat night. But this conference is just wed & Thursday. And in Miami there is no business for us to be done. To fill the rest of the time we would need to be near NJ. Maybe I'll do a road trip. Buy returns to NJ and do an internal AA to miami and back for the conference.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Honestly for 2 of us it's looking close to £10k!!
I can't actually see why this should be so, even on your original plan. WT+ on those dates should be something like £2,750 each.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
To fill the rest of the time we would need to be near NJ. Maybe I'll do a road trip. Buy returns to NJ and do an internal AA to miami and back for the conference.
​​​​​​Probably better to book an open-jaw: GLA-MIA/EWR-GLA and then buy a separate one-way MIA-EWR. That way, you get connection protection on your outbound

Last edited by richi; Mar 7, 2018 at 7:48 am Reason: clarify which post I'm replying to
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Or probably better for comfort and for the Sunday night stay - the open jaw should be the day flight from JFK on Sunday 16 - or putting the Saturday night stay in in LHR as suggested above.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I've just realised something,,, Seems really weird. But If I buy two sets of flights to Miami, both covering a Sat night, but one with the outbound I want, and one with the return I want. It's nearly £2000 cheaper....
Is there anything stopping me doing this? Booking two sets of flights and just turning up for the flights I want? Seems mad this is cheaper.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've just realised something,,, Seems really weird. But If I buy two sets of flights to Miami, both covering a Sat night, but one with the outbound I want, and one with the return I want. It's nearly £2000 cheaper....
Is there anything stopping me doing this? Booking two sets of flights and just turning up for the flights I want? Seems mad this is cheaper.
As long as the flights you're taking are the outbounds on each reservation, it's fine. Taking the outbound flight of a reservation and skipping the return is OK. Skipping the outbound flight of a reservation is not OK as it will lead to the entire reservation being canceled.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Yes. If you don't fly the first segment on the ticket you intend to return on, they'll cancel all the remaining sectors and you'll not be able to fly them.

In short: Don't do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.