Wiki Posts
Search

Struggling to find reasonable flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
But If I buy two sets of flights to Miami, both covering a Sat night, but one with the outbound I want, and one with the return I want. It's nearly £2000 cheaper....
Is there anything stopping me doing this? Booking two sets of flights and just turning up for the flights I want? Seems mad this is cheaper.
Your post suggests that you've been looking at something like:-
  • GLA-MIA on 11 September, MIA-GLA on 18 September;
  • GLA-MIA on 6 September, MIA-GLA on 13 September;
with the intention of using the GLA-MIA of the first ticket and the MIA-GLA of the second ticket.

This will not work, because when you fail to fly GLA-MIA on 6 September (the first half of the second ticket), the MIA-GLA on 13 September will be cancelled.

If you buy something like:-
  • GLA-MIA on 11 September, MIA-GLA on 18 September;
  • MIA-GLA on 13 September, GLA-MIA on 20 September;
and use only the first half of each ticket, then that could work. But I suspect you will find that this saves you little or no money from your original plan.

You really are better off buying one ticket that contains a Saturday night stay, and working your plans around that.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Slightly not related, but when is the next BA sale?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaximeD
Slightly not related, but when is the next BA sale?
I think you were looking for this thread: When is the next BA sale?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I understand thanks. In other words. "They are wise to that trick"

I will fly GLA - EWR on Sat. do business there Monday, tuesday, then hop down to MIA for the conference, and back to GLA on the thursday night. Thats fairly cheap and can get some more business done

Thanks for the advice folks.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will fly GLA - EWR on Sat. do business there Monday, tuesday, then hop down to MIA for the conference, and back to GLA on the thursday night. Thats fairly cheap and can get some more business done
Yes, it looks like you're going to get an excellent price for that plan!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, it looks like you're going to get an excellent price for that plan!
Not bad at all thanks to the help on here! and its Oneworld the whole way.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
I understand thanks. In other words. "They are wise to that trick"

Thanks for the advice folks.
Well if it is Sat 8th make sure you book the later flight as two CW seats to upgrade into using avios if you fancy (assuming you have avios).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Well if it is Sat 8th make sure you book the later flight as two CW seats to upgrade into using avios if you fancy (assuming you have avios).
I promised to the wife I'm saving my Avios for F seats to Barbados at some point in the future. But thanks for the advice. I find WT+ plenty comfortable for a pond hop. In fact, I actually prefer the WT+ seats and cabin to CW...Shock I know. But that is a discussion for a different thread.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Do try pricing your itinerary on aa.com. I often find pricing much more competitive and you could also include the domestic leg using their booking engine. They also seem less worried about Saturday night stays. And I’d also consider quoting it ex Dublin on aa. I picked up Dublin-Philly-Toronto-Dublin over a 3 day period next week for £1,300, all in F & J and no Saturday night involved. Transatlantic legs operated by BA

Last edited by brentford77; Mar 7, 2018 at 12:09 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
OP, do you have plans to go to US again? Booking the outbound of first trip and inbound of second would cover Sat night rule. Then "nest" US-UK-US to give you inbound on first trip and outbound on second. Keep an eye on change penalties if your not sure of dates on 2nd trip.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: Several dozen
https://www.jetcost.co.uk/results_v2..._5aa09543c58fe shows Travomint offering up a 646 pound Virgin for a roundtrip pilgrimage from the land of Saint Mungo to the land of the ice and snow.

I'm trying to get from Glasgow to Miami (Via LHR on BA of course) on the 11th Sep and back on the 13th Sep (WT+). But the costs are astronomical. I've tried fiddling the dates a bit but no good.
Happy to return via a day or 2 in New Jersey as I can do some business there but that makes it even worse. Honestly for 2 of us it's looking close to £10k!!

Can any help me how to do this better? Looking to stick with Oneworld if possible.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
https://www.jetcost.co.uk/results_v2..._5aa09543c58fe shows Travomint offering up a 646 pound Virgin for a roundtrip pilgrimage from the land of Saint Mungo to the land of the ice and snow.
Umm, no thanks.
Cymro likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I can see various options with AA (eg GLA-PHL-xxx return) for about £2600pp in W; similar options in J for about £3400pp, and about £5k pp in F...?

Another option would be an ex-EU, eg ex DUB £2227pp in W?

Hope you get what you're looking for
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
You can add a car to the booking for one day only which should get the cost down even if you "Forget" to pick it up, this usaully gets around the minimum stay requirement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.