Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge access - 'three hours before flight', not before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access - 'three hours before flight', not before?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Worth noting that the Swiss business lounge (a little further down the corridor from the BA lounge) accepts Priority Pass and Lounge Club. And is much nicer.
The Skyview lounge 5 mins along still trumps them all. Hot food, free chocs, reasonable views, nice staff, much cleaner than BA. Only downside is that it's used by one of the middle eastern airlines so can get full/temporarily closed. However, this is less frequent than BA's capacity-induced closures, at least for my flight timings.

As I commented on another thread, I was told a couple of weeks ago that there is a new BA manager at GVA, who is being more sensible about rules in general (e.g. allowing rest of your party to join your boarding group). However, he/she can't conjure up lounge capacity out of nowhere.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Schwann
There was someone trying to get into the BA lounge at Geneva yesterday with an easyJet boarding pass. He was waving his BA GC but obviously didn’t get in. Apparently Air France let him do it all the time, he was completely bewildered!
BA let you do this many years ago. But the benefit was enhanced away due to customer feedback.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Worth noting that the Swiss business lounge (a little further down the corridor from the BA lounge) accepts Priority Pass and Lounge Club. And is much nicer.

This.

Had the 3 hour denial couple weeks ago (got there about 3 hr 30 minutes before my flight). Went to the Swiss lounge (via Priority Pass) .. later on just stepped in to the BA lounge to check it out and almost immediately returned to the Swiss lounge. Much cleaner/nicer atmosphere/better food.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
From the book of “Things You Rarely Hear” :

- “and the British Airways lounge trumped all others ......”
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
[...] Well it is certainly less crowded, generally speaking and almost always tidier, in my experience. But the range of food, drink and in particular spirits is less than BA and the wifi is slower. I know some regard the BA lounge as a hovel, but there is a reason why people are keen to get in 3 hours early!
CWS, you must be kidding or were forced to spend too much time in GVA I do not care so much about spirits, I have to admit, but the food selection is IMHO way better at the Business Class Lounge of LX, during the main meal times the hot food that is presented is certainly a step above the BA offering. And don't start me with regards to cleanliness, the BA lounge should be ashamed of the state it sometimes (well, nearly always) is in.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

.......................I know some regard the BA lounge as a hovel, but there is a reason why people are keen to get in 3 hours early!

Anything for some free food .......... ??
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
CWS, you must be kidding or were forced to spend too much time in GVA I do not care so much about spirits, I have to admit, but the food selection is IMHO way better at the Business Class Lounge of LX, during the main meal times the hot food that is presented is certainly a step above the BA offering. And don't start me with regards to cleanliness, the BA lounge should be ashamed of the state it sometimes (well, nearly always) is in.
Yeah. I’ve never seen a BA operated lounge in anything close to the state that GVA was in a few weeks ago (and I have no problem with older lounges per se - MAN is lovely). It felt like a sauna; rubbish wasn’t cleared; and the power point locations were downright dangerous.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
I believe they are using the existing lounge space, but with the new lounge concept, which is fairly cunning in this area, it can get more seats into the same space. The existing lounge, with its internal partitions makes very inefficient use of the space.

Well it is certainly less crowded, generally speaking and almost always tidier, in my experience. But the range of food, drink and in particular spirits is less than BA and the wifi is slower. I know some regard the BA lounge as a hovel, but there is a reason why people are keen to get in 3 hours early!

good point! but maybe the passenger has long connection.

Last time I was in ZRH I did experienced a time limit but the lounge was a third party lounge. also Priority Pass lounges have a three hours time limit
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Speaking of GVA (apart from being initially refused entry because the lounge was bursting with passengers awaiting snow-delayed flights), they were calling boarding very early : about 10 minutes before the inbound had even landed.

The reason for this became apparent when you joined the end of the long (30+ minute) queue to get through passport control - the authorities were doing full and rigorous document checking.

Smart-arse flyers who'd been watching the inbound on FR24 and hung around in the lounge for a few minutes more had a very anxious wait in the queue and a mad dash onwards to the gate.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
GVA, as I have said in other posts, seems to revel in being a pain in the a** for BA.

It's supposedly BA branded throughout with uniformed staff and a BA lounge, but they can seem to have the attitude that you are there for their benefit, rather than the other way around.

In the last 3 years, I've been refused lounge entry with my family (1x GGL, 1xG, 2xS), been told I'm checking in too early, Mrs. TT1F has been threatened with arrest by the lounge staff, we've been told I can't check in in the Club line, can't use fast track etc. Earlier this year I was speaking to the GGL line and the local staff refused to speak to the GGL line to try and resolve the situation... etc... etc... they seem to create "rules" to justify treatment which would be unacceptable anywhere else!

Edit.. GVA does have a strict rule on not being able to check in more than 3 hours before departure. If you are HBO with a mobile BP, then maybe the first time they'll be able to catch you is at the lounge entrance, I wonder if this is part of the same policy..

I'm used to it now, but still find it astonishing whenever a poster reminds me!
The current arrangements are an improvement on ten year ago. Then there was no admission to Silvers in ET during the Ski season.

Reality is that GVA has a very large number of status passengers during the ski season and doesn't have the capacity to deal with this without the measures mentioned.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The reason for this became apparent when you joined the end of the long (30+ minute) queue to get through passport control - the authorities were doing full and rigorous document checking.
OT, but this is the result of EU reg 2017/458 requiring mandatory database checks at all Schengen frontiers, so it's been like that for a while. AFAICT GVA's only response has been to put up some signs. They've not even set up a proper queuing area.

The early boarding calls are appreciated; at least someone at that airport's aware there are queues!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
One more data point - the BA partner lounge at Sofia (Preslav?) also has a dragon-enforced 3 hour limit. I had a long wait after seeing off my wife on the BA flight before going off on Qatar, and had to use Priority Pass to extend my stay - should have moved lounge as it's a dump with uncomfortable seating
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by boutela
AFAICT GVA's only response has been to put up some signs.
They've also turned off the travellator, to stop piling people into the back of the congregated mass the end.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tocsin
One more data point - the BA partner lounge at Sofia (Preslav?) also has a dragon-enforced 3 hour limit. I had a long wait after seeing off my wife on the BA flight before going off on Qatar, and had to use Priority Pass to extend my stay - should have moved lounge as it's a dump with uncomfortable seating
Yes, they are strict in the preslav lounge and was also initially turned down with a 3.30hr connection. I persuaded the dragon that id leave 30 mins before my flight to board and she backed down.

I also saw them turfing out a load of Brits before Christmas when the BA flight was cancelled last minute (I was on a qatar flight). Almost as soon as the announcement was made, the dragon knew exactly who was on that flight and kicked them out, not even giving them time to drink up.

The one good thing about that lounge is they have draft "live" beer, self pour, direct from the barrel which is quite tasty.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
The Lounge and Staff at GVA are not my favourite and I believe it is one of the weakest OW Lounges in the network. I have never heard of that rule being imposed on BA or Oneworld. It is common practice with Priority Pass and Dragon Pass but never OW.

I have been asked to use Galleries South when my flight was departing from T5 in 5 hours time and I tried to gain access to Galleries North but never been refused access completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.