Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge access - 'three hours before flight', not before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access - 'three hours before flight', not before?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
It is a BA lounge.
Well I am surprised then.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
GVA, as I have said in other posts, seems to revel in being a pain in the a** for BA.

It's supposedly BA branded throughout with uniformed staff and a BA lounge, but they can seem to have the attitude that you are there for their benefit, rather than the other way around.

In the last 3 years, I've been refused lounge entry with my family (1x GGL, 1xG, 2xS), been told I'm checking in too early, Mrs. TT1F has been threatened with arrest by the lounge staff, we've been told I can't check in in the Club line, can't use fast track etc. Earlier this year I was speaking to the GGL line and the local staff refused to speak to the GGL line to try and resolve the situation... etc... etc... they seem to create "rules" to justify treatment which would be unacceptable anywhere else!

Edit.. GVA does have a strict rule on not being able to check in more than 3 hours before departure. If you are HBO with a mobile BP, then maybe the first time they'll be able to catch you is at the lounge entrance, I wonder if this is part of the same policy..

I'm used to it now, but still find it astonishing whenever a poster reminds me!

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Mar 7, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Only in GVA, and very occasionally GLA, YVR and SFO. And in the case of GVA and SFO, just for a few more months. Otherwise carry on.
I think BHD do it too, or at least they close the lounge when there's a gap between flights, only reopening 2h before departure.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I had a long layover on arrival from Vietnam transiting to palma at Heathrow.

The computer said no but the lady sorted it with a few taps on the keyboard. So based on my sample of one occasion the computer is set with a 3 hour or so starting period but common sense prevails ( but not in Geneva it seems )
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I had a long layover on arrival from Vietnam transiting to palma at Heathrow.

The computer said no but the lady sorted it with a few taps on the keyboard. So based on my sample of one occasion the computer is set with a 3 hour or so starting period but common sense prevails ( but not in Geneva it seems )
I’m pretty sure I’ve been at Heathrow lounges earlier than 3 hours before the flight and I have never noticed any ‘adjustment’ being made on the computer.
adrianlondon and florens like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup

I’m pretty sure I’ve been at Heathrow lounges earlier than 3 hours before the flight and I have never noticed any ‘adjustment’ being made on the computer.
BA at LHR has no issues with you entering the lounges more than 3 hours before your flight if you're eligible to be there. It's some of the outstations (even if BA branded) that have capacity constraints or sometimes a lounge that isn't open. I don't have an issue with those. It's GVA who seems to want to stick to the letter of the law even when there are no capacity constraints ... because they can
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Geneva, GVA
I'm traveling to GVA every week and a few months back I had the same thing (in the First lounge). It's a local rule from the GVA airport to avoid congestion, but it exists.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
For the night flights the superb lounge at BOS only opens 3 hours before BA 212 leaves in the evening. I know as I've been the first person in there on occasions. Although you can turn up for the later flights at that time.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
There was someone trying to get into the BA lounge at Geneva yesterday with an easyJet boarding pass. He was waving his BA GC but obviously didn’t get in. Apparently Air France let him do it all the time, he was completely bewildered!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by DocWatson
I think BHD do it too, or at least they close the lounge when there's a gap between flights, only reopening 2h before departure.
With along gap between the morning and afternoon flights I am not surprised. (Which returns to my gripe about not being able to use the b a lounge for IE flights booked on the b a site)
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
There is a note on the door, I saw it yesterday. It got very busy.

That lounge is a complete hovel though.
A bit like the airport itself
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by IAANN
I'm traveling to GVA every week and a few months back I had the same thing (in the First lounge). It's a local rule from the GVA airport to avoid congestion, but it exists.
I have been travelling between London and Geneva on a weekly basis for the past few years and unfortunately I'm pretty sure there is no BA first lounge in GVA.
There's a first lounge for Swiss Air and star alliance members but not for one world members.
I would prefer to be wrong though...

​​​​
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's a local issue, sometimes they have to close the lounge to all admissions, even Prems due to overcrowding. Hence this restriction due to the huge number of status passengers there. The new lounge, due end of 2018, will have more seating.
Are they going to refurnish the current one or is it going to be a brand new one?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
Worth noting that the Swiss business lounge (a little further down the corridor from the BA lounge) accepts Priority Pass and Lounge Club. And is much nicer.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pelu
Are they going to refurnish the current one or is it going to be a brand new one?
I believe they are using the existing lounge space, but with the new lounge concept, which is fairly cunning in this area, it can get more seats into the same space. The existing lounge, with its internal partitions makes very inefficient use of the space.

Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Worth noting that the Swiss business lounge (a little further down the corridor from the BA lounge) accepts Priority Pass and Lounge Club. And is much nicer.
Well it is certainly less crowded, generally speaking and almost always tidier, in my experience. But the range of food, drink and in particular spirits is less than BA and the wifi is slower. I know some regard the BA lounge as a hovel, but there is a reason why people are keen to get in 3 hours early!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.