Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-LUX - is a club europe upgrade worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold

Evening all,

I've got the little advert on MMB saying I can upgrade to club for £59.

This is the afternoon departure on a short flight so what would likley be served as a meal?

Is it worth it? I've never flown club europe before but I've flown CW so keen to test drive its little brother. I'm not interested in tier points and I only paid £52 return for the ET fare.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
For me, no.

Exact same seat (albeit middle one of 3 is blocked), unexciting snack and a really short flight.

Unless being among the first to board matters to you, save your £50 and buy a beer in Lux with it instead
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
No. It's exactly the same seat and unless you're in row 1 (which is reserved for Golds) you have the same legroom as economy.

Use the £59 you will save to have a nice meal in Luxembourg instead.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
No. It's exactly the same seat and unless you're in row 1 (which is reserved for Golds) you have the same legroom as economy.

Use the £59 you will save to have a nice meal in Luxembourg instead.
Thanks - I know all about the middle seay blocked out, just wanted to hear peoples thoughts overall
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Evening all,

I've got the little advert on MMB saying I can upgrade to club for £59.

This is the afternoon departure on a short flight so what would likley be served as a meal?

Is it worth it? I've never flown club europe before but I've flown CW so keen to test drive its little brother. I'm not interested in tier points and I only paid £52 return for the ET fare.

Thanks in advance for the input.
If you're still blue how much do you value lounge access? If you were in economy would you buy food? If this approaches £50+ of value then definitely go for it (I meant if you valued lounge access highly, not spending £50 on BoB ).

LUX is from T3 so if you like lounges you have 4 you can try.

You get the middle seat blocked with a light meal which will be a choice of afternoon tea (sandwiches) or ploughmans. Complimentary drinks including champagne are served.

People say the main benefit of CE is for those without status and T3 has some good lounges in there so that would sway quite a few here.

I don't think £59 is a lot of money for the upgrade - if you can put it do better use then it's probably better to spend it in a decent restaurant but I like to improve the experience on-board so I'd normally go for it even when I didn't need the TP.

Way to think about it is: would spending the £59 mean sacrificing any other aspect of the trip, if that's the case then definitely no, it's not worth it. But if you value the lounge access, a bit more space with the middle seat and better service on board then it's worth giving it a try. After all what's a rip off for one person may have some value for others. After all some people pay for upgrades on the Heathrow Express and that's an even shorter trip!
20Rothmans, JayeJ and cwagsg like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think you also get addtional baggage allowance.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No point at all unless you are chasing TPs.
Pack likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would go for Club Europe in this case. Good ground arrangements and a little extra space onboard will make for a much more relaxing journey. Take the seats in row 1 if you can get them for plenty of leg room and also plenty of what I call head room, which makes for a much better flight. They are only reserved for Golds until 72 hours-ish prior to departure, at which time and also at online check in they become available for all comers.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
I’d +1 on the lounges in T3 if you don’t have any status. Spent several happy hours in the CX and QF lounges last Friday. The latter was almost deserted. I have also found a new favourite gin from the vast selection in the QF lounge! 👍
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
At that price I would go for it.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Is it worth it?
It's completely subjective so nobody can answer this but you.

Read up the benefits of CE over ET and decide for yourself.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
If it were a business trip I'd put the cost on my tax return to make it about half price, and enjoy treating myself a little while dashing around on work's behalf.

I probably wouldn't do it for a leisure trip.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:35 pm

Of course it's worth it, unless you don't think you can drink £60 worth of Moet in the 10 hours or so you can be in the CX J lounge before your flight. It's fine to start at 5am, just call it a Bucks Fizz.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:48 pm

As a Blue you'd get lounge access with CE which you don't flying Y. And at T3 that means the CX, QF and BA lounges plus AA if you can be bothered. Dim sum, noodles and spring rolls plus hot buffet all day and Moet and cocktails to drink in CX. Gin bar in QF lounge and then BA for wine tasting and free pour spirits plus slop from the hot buffet.

If you like a drink then 59 quid is an absolute bargain and that's before you have a couple of bottles of Champagne and a G&T or two on the actual flight.

Oh, and the LUX lounge is quite good too if you want to upgrade the return.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
For £59 and if you can get to the Airport early enough to do a bit of a lounge crawl, and that sort of thing appeals to you, I'm sure you could get through that much in food and drink, especially at T3 with the Qantas and Cathay lounges! The actual onboard experience isn't worth it, but at T3 the lounges are great.
flipper118 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.