FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR - NYC Dilemma (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1897358-lhr-nyc-dilemma.html)

highlandguy Mar 6, 2018 12:01 pm

LHR - NYC Dilemma

Hoping for some advice on the LHR - NYC route please.

I'm taking my parents to NY for their 70ths and between my partner and I both using a 241 we have the choice of 4 Business class seats on a 747 to JFK or 2 in business and 2 in first on a 777 to EWR on the day flight out?

What are people's thoughts on the two options? Is there a significant difference between say Upper Deck on the 747 in Club and 1st on the 777? My parents have never flown either Business or First so would all be a new experience for them (the plan would be to give my folks the 2 1st class seats if we went that route)

I've also got a bit confused about the current state of play of the IFE on the 747s. Is this likely to be an old dated system or has the IFE been retro fitted on the LHR - JFK route?

Thanks for your help

FlyerTalker39574 Mar 6, 2018 12:05 pm

Is a daytime JFK-LHR flight available?

highlandguy Mar 6, 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft (Post 29492803)
Is a daytime JFK-LHR flight available?

No just overnight flights and only club available on a 747. The only 1st class seats available for the dates we have are the 2 seats on the 777 LHR - EWR

Flexible preferences Mar 6, 2018 12:15 pm

4 in upper deck of the 747 - and no need to split the party up...

Globaliser Mar 6, 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by highlandguy (Post 29492815)
No just overnight flights and only club available on a 747. The only 1st class seats available for the dates we have are the 2 seats on the 777 LHR - EWR

Much of this is personal preference and how much you'd all want to fly together in the same cabin on the outbound flight.

Personally, I would take the option with two seats in F. Nice though Club would be for people who've never flown it, this is a special treat for your parents and you might as well push the boat out. As you'll no doubt have to explain the seat swap to the cabin crew, there's a decent chance that they will then try to make the flight extra special for your parents.

Of course, one bonus is that you can all use the CCR before the LHR-EWR flight.

highlandguy Mar 6, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29492843)
Much of this is personal preference and how much you'd all want to fly together in the same cabin on the outbound flight.

Personally, I would take the option with two seats in F. Nice though Club would be for people who've never flown it, this is a special treat for your parents and you might as well push the boat out. As you'll no doubt have to explain the seat swap to the cabin crew, there's a decent chance that they will then try to make the flight extra special for your parents.

Would we all be able to use CCR? As I'm using a 241 and my partner would also be using a 241, I thought only the booking that had the 2 1st class seats would have access to CCR, the other club booking wouldn't. Have I got that wrong?

The _Banking_Scot Mar 6, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by highlandguy (Post 29492878)
Would we all be able to use CCR? As I'm using a 241 and my partner would also be using a 241, I thought only the booking that had the 2 1st class seats would have access to CCR, the other club booking wouldn't. Have I got that wrong?

Hi,

A first class pax can guest 1 pax into the CCR ( even without status).

Regards

TBS

Swiss Tony Mar 6, 2018 12:41 pm

And you can probably join your folks for a glass of something fizzy in F after the meal service if you have a word with the crew. The 777 F seats have a buddy seat opposite.

highlandguy Mar 6, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 29492947)
Hi,

A first class pax can guest 1 pax into the CCR ( even without status).

Regards

TBS

Of course doh! Thanks

frank_poulankh Mar 6, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29492843)

I’m with Globaliser. This seems to be the option that makes the most of the possibilities open to you.

Sixth Freedom Mar 6, 2018 12:45 pm

I would go in Club to spend time with my parents. Spend as much time as possible together and share all the experiences you can because you never know when they might not be there anymore. :)

Geordie405 Mar 6, 2018 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom (Post 29492994)
I would go in Club to spend time with my parents. Spend as much time as possible together and share all the experiences you can because you never know when they might not be there anymore. :)

I would probably do the same. Much as it would be nice to do a trip in F, I think the four of you in Club as a family would be a fantastic experience too.

windowontheAside Mar 6, 2018 12:54 pm

I think there are arguments for/against both options. I can see the appeal of the CCR and letting your parents try F, but if it were my parents, they would get considerably more pleasure from sharing the J experience with us so that's what I would choose. If they've never flow CW or F, they'll be blown away by CW anyway and being there to share their excitement is priceless.