Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(Serious question) Does BA plan to improve its F product in the near future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Serious question) Does BA plan to improve its F product in the near future?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Mike P
Sorry, don't agree with you. I prefer QR food and the service is usually better in QR J than in BA F. As for the seat, I did almost back to back sectors in BA F and QR J recently, both on 787's, and I found the seat remarkably similar, albeit the QR seat was rather cleaner. I'm 6' 3'' tall and certainly don't find the QR seats cramped.
Don't they have foot coffins?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
It would be fair to say, having also flown 4 QR F sectors on the DOH - BKK route recently, the QR F seat makes the BA F seat seem remarkably cramped!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Don't they have foot coffins?
The B787 and A380 do. Having managed to avoid them this last year, I’ve only done 30 sectors on QR J (and 4 in F), and have found the J seats uncomfortable and rather claustrophobic, the food often bland and the service rather slow unless in the front couple of rows. I can see why some like to pretend QR J is like a first class product, but at the end of the day it’s just a decent business class product.

Their first class product is fine, nothing extraordinary (or aspirational as people like to say here) but they serve the same food in F as they do in J plus caviar on daytime flights.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I had a less than stellar J segment on QR just a week ago but I have to say that the percentage of similarly disappointing experiences with them is very small compared to the proportion of those I have had in BA F. For me, the fare difference in paying for F on BA is money I can put to far better use without any significant forfeit in comfort and convenience.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I can see why some like to pretend QR J is like a first class product, but at the end of the day it’s just a decent business class product.

Indeed, one might very well say the same thing about BA F on a 747/777.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Indeed, one might very well say the same thing about BA F on a 747/777.
Quite. QR F is far superior to BA F in almost every respect. Yes, it's not SQ or LH but then it's not priced at that level either. I struggle to think of an F product that I would rate below BA in recent times. I did SCL a couple of weeks ago and yes, it was more comfortable than Club World but that's not saying a lot frankly.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
I remember LH Private Jet a few years ago saying the two top routes for passengers connecting from LH F were FRA - LON/PAR - but no idea on what the volume was or is --
Not surprising when you consider Lufthansa run 16 daily services to LON and its one of the Financial Capitals of the world.

I would still be surprised if there are legions of LH F flyers who are LH F flyers actively avoiding BA F taking those connecting legs because the majority of frequent F flyers will value time far more than a spoonful of Caviar
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by themax
How many of you are truly regular flyers in paid F? (by regular, I mean you are someone who travels in F whenever you are on a BA longhaul plane and the F cabin is sold). I am very privileged to be one of those passengers; and despite my reoccurring gripe that I rarely get my first choice of main course in F inbound to LHR, I still love the product.

BA F is not the best F product in the world, but it is still a fantastic product. I love the beverage selection (especially JW Blue), I find the seats/beds very comfortable, and I like the fact that the food is interesting but not extravagant. For those of you that fly in F as a treat I do understand that you might expect more from the product compared to some (but not all) competitors, but for those of us that are regular flyers in F we appreciate the understated elegance and comfort of F. The service and product is not over the top and not indulgent, just a really comfortable journey with some added luxuries along the way. For us regular F travellers this is EXACTLY what we are looking for from a tried and tested product that is available to most international destinations; something that other carriers will find hard to match (even if they do offer caviar, limos, and a more luxurious experience).
If I were looking for the words to describe the ultimate J+ product, this post would be it. BA clearly has the ideal product for you (kind of the comfort food of premium cabins, I suppose). I agree it's better than any J that I've flown, but not by much in too many cases. The trouble for BA, and possibly ultimately for you, depending on routes flown, is that BA can't make enough money out of selling the current product for the real estate it occupies. The market doesn't seem to love it as much as you, at least not enough to pay a sustainable premium for it across the network (I'm sure there are some very profitable F routes). The end result will be less F seats, and maybe a more differentiated, and presumably more expensive, product on what is left.

Originally Posted by themax
BA F is not the best F product in the world
This did make me smile, very fitting for your love of understatement with BA. It's not the best F product in oneworld, much less the world
haroon145 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:45 pm
Suspended

So I’m time poor but cash rich and I want to take my mum to Cape Town on Friday evening from LON landing back on Thursday morning, one stop is Ok, it must be FIrst class, I need to avoid old aircraft design and long hikes from Lounge to gate, gate to Lounge, gate to arrivals lounge and poor boarding procedures. On board sleeping luxury is of prime importance.
How does BA compare in this kind of common scenario?

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Mar 4, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by richardwft
So I’m time poor but cash rich and I want to take my mum to Cape Town on Friday evening from LON landing back on Thursday morning, one stop is Ok, it must be FIrst class, I need to avoid old aircraft design and long hikes from Lounge to gate and poor boarding procedures. On board sleeping luxury is of prime importance.
How does BA compare in this kind of common scenario?
Contradictions?

Not to mention increased hikes and boarding by using one stop. I'd think BA F, for all its flaws, comes out top here (especially so on Cape Town route).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s1362083
Contradictions?...
Time poor yes, but time rich enough to include connections that work very well.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by richardwft

Time poor yes, but time rich enough to include connections that work very well.
Like QR?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s1362083
...I'd think BA F, for all its flaws, comes out top here (especially so on Cape Town route).
BA doesn’t satisfy the newer aircraft criteria. Fingers crossed this route gets A350, A380 or B778/9 aircraft at some point in the future.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I am not yet ready to be able to afford F as a matter of course, but I hope to one day. I also find that I prefer Club World to pods, diamonds, H-V-H and other J cabin models.

Based on limited experience I find that F is much more comfy than CW, offering a much better night's sleep on the overnights and space to do stuff during the day.

So I would much rather that BA operated an F cabin that gives these benefits in a way that I can actually use because it is deployed in sufficient numbers to places I want to get to. Looking through the curtain at the F cabin on my 787 flight from IAD the other day I thought it seemed fab and cannot see how BA could make it better. More space? Not required. Doors? No thanks.

The only two things that I believe BA can do to materially improve the experience across all cabins, not just F, is spending a little more on meal ingredients and investing in keeping the cabins clean.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Not surprising when you consider Lufthansa run 16 daily services to LON and its one of the Financial Capitals of the world.

I would still be surprised if there are legions of LH F flyers who are LH F flyers actively avoiding BA F taking those connecting legs because the majority of frequent F flyers will value time far more than a spoonful of Caviar
For London based, sure -- but if you live in North America and are flying to places in Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia - or flying somewhere all or most of the best options include a change of planes, I suppose most people would agree BA would probably be a First Class of last resort unless it was was dictated by corporate policy, a cheaper fare or the competition was the likes of AI or CA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.