Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help with getting a sensible answer on baggage tracking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with getting a sensible answer on baggage tracking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Never had a missing bag not turn up, usually next day
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1
And UK airlines allow 21 days.
The Montréal Convention makes "not arrived after twenty-one days" equivalent to "lost".
Article 17.
(3) If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.
Those "rights" being the ones that are injected into the contract of carriage by the Convention.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am a bit late to the party and kind of reluctant to be seen to pile in, but my input would be
1) Keep WorldTracer up to date but otherwise get on with your life. It really helps if you get a Tracer report at the airport but what you have done is the next best thing. No one looks for bags, except at very small airports.
2) Buy whatever you need to do your activities, in several years in this forum I'm only aware of one person not getting a fairly swift refund of purchases on BA (other airlines are very different!) and that was a case of someone taking the mickey frankly.
3) Bear in mind however that the £1200 or so limit is for the total claim, so you need to take that into account if you are claiming both for immediate needs purchase as well as fully lost baggage.
4) Fully lost baggage is now extremely rare, and generally happens when switching between airlines on complex itineraries, labels falling off, no address in the bag etc. Assuming you did properly label your bag on the inside and it's just a LHR-SJC I would be frankly amazed if it got lost totally. Due to the snow there is backlog at LHR but I guess by the middle of next week it will be sorted out.
5) Photo receipts and store them somewhere: finding a receipt after travel can be tiresome.
6) Twitter can be useful for specific, problematic situations (e.g. checked in at the gate and then not making transfer connections properly, perhaps the label fell off).

In terms of the next time:
1) If it's an item which is critical to your trip AND irreplaceable in a short time span, always take it hand luggage
2) Always expect a 1 or 2 day delay on baggage so take some provisions with you for that
3) Always put an A4 sheet on top of checked bags (inside it) with contact details, particularly SMS and email.
4) Personally I would not lock your bag, or instead to use zip ties, but I know some people just can't bring themselves to do this.
5) Insure, or self insure, if travelling with significantly more than £1200 worth of items
6) Photo your items before travel so you know what you're expecting, or photo once in a while, if mostly you'll be taking the same stuff. Just place all the items on a bed, photo, then pack (it will usually pack better that way too).
7) One of the airlines irritating little habits is asking for the original receipts of things lost. Point 6 will partly help with that, but for the 6 or so most valuable items there may be a case for retaining/photo the relevant receipts.
8) Be aware of the difference between replacement value and "as new" value, and if necessary insure / self insure for that. Realistically a 4 year old pair of jeans may have cost £40 when purchased, but the airline is unlikely to give you a tenner for that now.
9) Be aware of the usefulness of retaining information in the Cloud / Google Documents / Drive etc - you can then access receipts, photos etc from any computer anywhere.
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: VA Gold
Originally Posted by Jacksong
Interesting - so that means that my bag really is lost then since the world tracer says it has no idea where my bag is and doesn't seem to show it ever having entered the system!
Worldtracer is separate to other systems dealing with luggage on the day

It is designed for lost bags. Once your bag is located and put in the system by someone, it will show.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Is that 93% of all bags loaded, or of bags that are initially delayed?
93% of bags that are mislaid are reunited with their owners.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-lost-luggage/
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, Amex Plat, BA Bronze
Thanks all, mainly the frustration is not knowing what to do due to a lack of information available - I know there is far more real time tracking information available but clearly they choose not to publish it. I have had this happen before but that time the airline was able to tell me "your bags weren't loaded at X, they will be here on plane Y at time Z" at the point of time of discovering the incident and that's what I was hoping for here but on reporting it I just got handed a sheet of paper at the airport that didn't even have the tracking number on it when I checked the internet at the hotel.

With regards taking things like the boots in carry on - it would be nice but there is other stuff that is far more valuable that travels in my hand luggage and there is only so much room so they have to be consigned to the hold. I have insurance and i can go out and buy stuff, that's really not a problem as nothing in there is irreplaceable - just somewhat hard to easily source due to sizes etc not being readily available in stores.

What I was really hoping to find out is some idea of when I'd get my bag so I can purchase and plan accordingly but i guess thy are just not interested in making that info available - the flight from heathrow to here has already departed the UK so if my bag was on it I kinda hoped I'd know by now!

nothing I can do now but wait i guess - once again thanks all.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks all, mainly the frustration is not knowing what to do due to a lack of information available - I know there is far more real time tracking information available but clearly they choose not to publish it.
That's not really the case. The baggage system is fairly limited in functionality, it was never built as a tracking systems, merely as a pathway decider, and airlines are playing catch up in this area. An example is posting a letter - if you didn't send it registered then the letter address has to be on the front, then it is read at multiple places to check it's on the right path, but even at the point of delivery there isn't necessarily a record that a particular letter has been processed. If you report a missing letter which isn't registered then no one is going to look for it, and no one really knows where it is. That was the baggage system as built. Now more recently there is more focus on tracking more sharply where things are, and AA is a good example of this: on the AA app you can see where your bag was last scanned, and if you look at Rush bags being onboarded just before departure you'll typically see AA's ground staff on the starboard side, scanning each item one by one as it goes into the aircraft. BA bulk loads AKE bins so they kind of know what bag ought to be in the bin, and which bin is in which hold, but it's not the same as scanning each and every item as it enters the hold. BA on the other hand uses an industry wide WorldTracer system as a database of missing bags and CIM, it doesn't directly track anything until a bag has been reconciled with the database entry, and only at that point are updates progressed, sort of, and not in real time either.

BA are looking into this area, and we were promised a tracking tool last year (it didn't happen), plus they have done trials on RFID baggage tags (no word on that either). But realistically I think we are probably 5 years away from seeing this end to end tracking being made available to the customer globally.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:16 am
Original Poster

That's pretty interesting, I've got a fair amount of experience with the systems they do parcel tracking with and I always assumed the airlines used similar systems as i'm familiar with being able to use the united app to track my luggage - didn't realise BA were still in the stone age.

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... didn't realise BA were still in the stone age.
I think that "Stone Age" rather overstates the case. From what I've seen of the system, on any flight BA knows which bags are on board and in which cans. This is why the delay when a passenger with a checked bag fails to board an A380, it typically only takes about 15-20 minutes to unload enough cans to get at the correct can, and then to identify the bag and offload it, before reloading all the bags into that can and all the cans back onto the aircraft.

My guess is that - like so many other airline systems - this one is designed to provide information to those who are despatching and operating that individual flight, but was never designed to link to all the other systems to which it would have to talk in order to publish the information in real time to all parts of the airline and to the WorldTracer system. That's why within one specific part of operations, staff have access to all of the information needed (which is why, if you ask at the gate, you can be told whether or not your bag has been loaded) - but it's the devil's own job trying to find out this information from other parts of the airline.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Are you going to Tahoe? If need be I can get the names of some good boot fitters at the lake (depending upon which end of the lake you’re headed to)
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, just make certain that BA has the proper contact, including your mobile number and the proper delivery address.

Second, do not torture yourself by sitting on the phone. As others note, there is no other system than WT and you have access to that online. The system does work, but it means that your bag went missing. Perhaps it was sent off to the wrong destination or perhaps it is sitting somewhere at departure. It may even be at LAS. Once it is located, it will appear in the system and wend its way to you. Until then, there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it reappear and no secret system which knows more than you do. When you do call, you are simply being told what you yourself can see with added soothing words to make you feel as though everyone is out looking for your bag. They are not.

Third, while one hopes that you can find alternatives, including high-end rentals, I do understand that handmade boots can take a good while, even when expedited. You may be surprised by what some of the high-end places have on offer, including items which are not generally for sale.

Finally, not to berate OP, but for the benefit of others, this is what hand luggage is for. In this case, boots and perhaps the first 2-3 days of clothing. Then there is nothing to worry about and the rest can be checked and show up when it does.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Often1
<snip>Third, while one hopes that you can find alternatives, including high-end rentals, I do understand that handmade boots can take a good while, even when expedited. You may be surprised by what some of the high-end places have on offer, including items which are not generally for sale.
</snip>.
The OP isn’t talking about handmade boots, he’s talking about custom fitted. Proper custom fitted with footbeds will take about 3-4 hours work with a good boot fitter. Mind you, California has had a mega dump this week so actually getting to the resorts will be challenging.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

@Tiger_lily - We are headed up to Tahoe, north lake and I've rented a tank with 4WD, all weather tyres (not as good as true snow tyres but best I was going to get) and chains and I've got a fair bit of experience driving in the snow around canada etc so I can cope with an R1/R2 restriction level so long as they don't close I-80 so if you can pass on a few good names it would be very useful in case of my bag not turning up this week.

And just to pick up on the hand luggage bit, yes i could have carried my boots in hand luggage, of course then because of space restrictions I may have had to check my laptop, or camera or one of the other truly valuable things that I really don't want to go missing. Clothes I can buy in Walmart for not much money (and the amex travel insurance covers it) so it's not a problem and as Tiger_lily has pointed out I can get a new set of boots fitted if I want. My main frustration was an abject lack of any information on where my bag is as with that I'd be able to make informed decisions about what to do instead of just "wait and see". There's a lot of other stuff in there that it's really irritating to be without that I can't quickly replace like my dance shoes but there is only so much one can carry in hand luggage.

That's why my initial question was "does anyone know how to get a sensible answer out of BA" because someone on some system somewhere has this information but it seems the answer is, as it always seems to be with airlines, "No, you just have to dance to their tune." I

Someone build a rail tunnel under the atlantic!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:10 pm

80 was closed at Colfax earlier in the week due to whiteout conditions, and Squaw had an inbounds avalanche yesterday. It’s a bluebird day up there today though.

Start Haus in Truckee might be your best bet for high end boots on the north side.

Hopefully they’ve found your your bag and have stuck it on an SFO flight.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Interesting - so that means that my bag really is lost then since the world tracer says it has no idea where my bag is and doesn't seem to show it ever having entered the system!
That's actually not the case. It's the case of the system not being updated. Slack, I know!

One recent example, although not BA, is SQ WorldTracer still showing "Tracing Continues" long after I got my bag back. BA's was the same whenever they 'lost' (delayed) my bag.

However, it is important for you to keep the WorldTracer system updated with your whereabouts and contact details because they are used by the airline to reunite you with your bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.