Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: DL,EK
I am the owner of my company and we only ever book in Y. Even when booking DXB-SFO or similar long hauls. My wife and I just returned from MIA-JFK-ZRH on business in Y... 6+ hours in JFK both ways too. At least we could get lounge access but I feel it is not at all worth vastly more cash to pay for J. If you don't like it, don't work for my company.... there are plenty of companies that throw money away.
flyuk likes this.

Last edited by DesertNomad; Mar 3, 2018 at 3:29 am
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:28 am

My deal with my employer is that I get an official, policy-compliant quote from our agent, and as long as I can beat that, I can book myself. I have to achieve equivalent fare flexibility as well, so if it’s a fully flex quote then I have to book the same.

Since I have clients all over the world, who will generally meet me whenever I want, I find a cheap ex Eu fare, fix up some meetings wherever in Europe pre the longhaul, and everyone is happy. Ex Eu flexible fares are an unbelievable bargain, typically 3-5k cheaper than ex-Lon, and since they are fully flex, I can keep moving the last leg around till I need it.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
If the policy was good enough as far as hotels/food and entertainment/time in lieu were concerned, I think it would be worth a look. That extra money can buy a lot of sleeping pills.
My current company policy allows J on LH but the expenses are tighter than a duck's bottom, so it's important to seek out "family restaurants".
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have had a bit of wry smile to this. Last night I came back from Cebu to Newcastle, very long day - first flight was at 07:00, day flight from Hong Kong, arrived a mere 20 minutes late into Newcastle, 21 hours from start to finish. On the NCL service I recognised someone from the Cebu hotel and got chatting to him. He used the same aircraft for the entire journey, in economy, his ticket was a mere £180 cheaper than my carefully purchased business class fare. He was half my age, I would guess, and he looked absolutely shattered, whereas last night I went out for a meal with friends. Could he keep this up for another 20 or 30 years? An anecdote.

The details clearly matter. If you are 25 years old, 5ft tall, 32 inch waist and using 777s to BOS then that's very different from my dimensions north of 6ft, and being a fat so-and-so with a 36 inch waist and not exactly youthful. So if someone suggests I'm travelling on a 787 to SJC (or anywhere really) then frankly I'm not doing it. OK, if you're smaller, younger and doing it for a year or two that's fine, particularly if you travel a day in advance and only travel during work days. But it's not sustainable over time or intensity.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I'd say go for it.
They clearly can't change their entire travel policy for one person (everyone will want J) so have made what looks like a very good offer. If it doesn't work out you clearly have the talents for another job, and won't you always wonder 'what if' if you say no to it?

My starting salary was under £26k and I do get why people will be scratching their heads at your dilemma.
But having done a lot of leisure travel last year, in J, I found the whole thing to be quite tiring at the end, so it's essential to get it right.

What's the job? *cough*
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Depends on the job and the travel. If it's to the US, I think this can be mitigated a little. Comfort on repeated trips is important, but compared to "the dream job"...
  • Status and paid upgrades to get into AA Main Cabin Extra, particularly on overnights
  • Connecting through on longer westbound daylight flights (also AA MCE on domestics)
  • Looking at daylight eastbound flights (BOS/JFK-LHR on BA, JFK/ORD-LHR on AA)
  • Booking holiday packages to drive down the cost of the Y ticket. WT without a weekend is usually more than WTP with a car/hotel
One issue to content is the absolute price difference. Booking later, Y and W/J can sometimes overlap. A case-by-case policy would look at the cheapest reasonable route, but I guess if word gets around you've stepped off a plane with a fully-flat bed, that might start asking questions from those not in the know how fare buckets work.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
then that's very different from my dimensions north of 6ft, and being a fat so-and-so with a 36 inch waist and not exactly youthful ...
You don't look too bad for your age really but as for the 36 inch waist sounds like you have a faulty tape measure

More seriously though, it's certainly interesting to read so many different views on this, some would, some wouldn't but as a non business traveller it has been a good read from the sidelines. One thing I do know though after nearly 3 decades of working shifts is that lack of sleep is most definitely not good for you.
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:31 am

On the NCL service I recognised someone from the Cebu hotel and got chatting to him. He used the same aircraft for the entire journey, in economy, his ticket was a mere £180 cheaper than my carefully purchased business class fare.
Hopefully you two don't have the same employer and travel policy!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

then that's very different from my dimensions north of 6ft, and being a fat so-and-so with a 36 inch waist and not exactly youthful. .....................
Originally Posted by PETER01
You don't look too bad for your age really but as for the 36 inch waist sounds like you have a faulty tape measure

Hmm. Two (quite different) ways to interpret that “faulty tape measure” assessment !

Which might be the more accurate, one wonders.

You could always plead the Fifth, c-w-s
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
In the real world I would suggest the majority of business travelers are in Y. It clearly varies industry to industry, but many are Y only. The concept of negotiating a J only clause in my contract of employment, would result in any of my potential employers laughing me out of the office & withdrawing my job offer on the grounds of candidate stupidity! I sometimes get J on business but more often than not it's Y. I've done Manila from London for 3 days in Y & survived. I've even flown to Singapore from London on a Sunday arriving early Monday AM, gone to a meeting then flown back that night in Y. Again I didn't die.
J only contracts still exist in the City - I had one for 16 years (everyone got it, even the PAs) - and my assistant has one now.

That said I might take the £24k extra if it could be applied to travel and therefore go untaxed. One trip a month would be a wash.

A friend who is an IT consultant has a ‘highest cabin’ clause written into his contracts, ie F if available. People are happy to pay it.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Started a new job with the same company policy. Achieved Silver 8 months, 50 flights and 445 TP later and loved every (mostly HBO) flight. I suppose it comes down to personal likes - I like the whole flying experience, from the airport entrance to the airport exit at the other end. Probably got another 3 years of a similar travel pattern, and certainly wouldn't give it all up simply because my company will only let me travel Y.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
You could always plead the Fifth, c-w-s
I'm sure he will...........

Back on topic, I am sure some would be lured by that extra money but if Y long haul travel is to be taken then over a long period of time on very long sectors I think it would take it's toll on ones health which is just not worth it. I certainly felt better, more energetic when I was in a Mon-Fri 8-4 role for a short period of time.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

J only contracts still exist in the City - I had one for 16 years (everyone got it, even the PAs) - and my assistant has one now.

That said I might take the £24k extra if it could be applied to travel and therefore go untaxed. One trip a month would be a wash.

A friend who is an IT consultant has a ‘highest cabin’ clause written into his contracts, ie F if available. People are happy to pay it.
Give me a shout if you are needing any more assistants. I can start right away

I do know one of my friends had a minimum J only contract but he used to fly around the world troubleshooting IT related issues due to his high level of expertise.
adrianlondon and squawk like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Would they allow you to use the base fare and buy up into J at the time of booking? So if they're finding a Y ticket for say £700 and you can find the same J ticket for £2000 pounds you could just pay the extra £1300 to the company travel agent and be booked directly in J? If so, with an extra £2000 a month, I'd go for it.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
One large USA based employer gave 24 hours off following an 8 hour plus flight. What a waste of time!!
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I am the owner of my company and we only ever book in Y. .... [snip] If you don't like it, don't work for my company.... there are plenty of companies that throw money away.
Much depends on what you do and the decisions to be made at the other end, and more importantly the financial cost and risk associated with those decisions.

My major client pays Y for travel everywhere but will allow W for over 10 hours. If I travel in any other class then I invoice them for the Y or W respectively, as they will allow me, as an external contractor, to book as we wish. I am professionally responsible for the work delivered at the client's location. On one occasion where to accommodate a client's urgency I had flown in overnight in Y (could not get a seat in higher cabin and was inevitably next to a child that bawled all night) and gone straight to work, with a few hours time change thrown in, I was falling asleep by lunch time and could barely concentrate on the task.

As I would be professionally negligent if it went wrong and my professional body could strike me off at a fitness to practice hearing - I reckoned I would not have had a valid defence, I then decided not to take that reputational risk again. I now allow adequate time to ensure I am sufficiently rested before work, if need be flying in the day before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.