Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Even if you can't negotiate out of 'Y only', make sure they are willing to let you choose your airline in order to earn status (my company explicitly forbids us from choosing a more expensive flight simply to fly our preferred airline).

Also, be aware that even if you accept a job with a company that allows J travel, they can change that policy at any time without warning (I've had that happen twice). Would you then be serious about quitting because they took away your J travel?
HampsteadHeath likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Also, be aware that even if you accept a job with a company that allows J travel, they can change that policy at any time without warning (I've had that happen twice). Would you then be serious about quitting because they took away your J travel?
I have seen people negotiate J travel as a clause in their contract of employment. Not where I work, but elsewhere.

Also, I don't think that leaving a job because the employer changes the working conditions for the worse is such a radical idea.

---

If the employer will allow the employee to book J, but cover the cost of Y, and there is a further Ł2k in it, it might be a reasonable compromise. In the UK the Y-J travel differential would also be tax-deductable.

If it is simply, "we book whatever is cheapest" and you are the kind of person who likes to exercise some control over his travel schedule, it could get miserable pretty fast.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
I have seen people negotiate J travel as a clause in their contract of employment. Not where I work, but elsewhere.
As I do. Written very prominently into my employment contract, should the corporate travel policy change for the worse, it means my travel will remain in J for longhauls (over 4 hours). My employer was initially not very keen to agree, but it was a non-negotiable clause for me and being confident in my abilities, I was prepared to walk away from the position. I wouldn't travel lower than J for personal travel, so I do not compromise for my work travel.

layz and Calchas like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:57 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I'm in the no camp too, I'm afraid, having been in the position of Y-only travel policies for several years though at least with the ability to arrange my travel such that it never involved getting off the plane and going straight into a meeting.

AUP's aren't guaranteed, is one problem. What you also need to bear in mind is that if they're a US company and they book your travel from the US, that's also going to rule out proactive upgrades being offered via Manage My Booking whilst you're UK-based. In that case the only change that will be offered is a straight fare difference to the next cabin, which is likely to be prohibitively expensive (even more than the extra your prospective employers are paying).

You may also be restricted in terms of airlines that can be booked, or forced into weird indirect routings. Definitely worth finding out if that would apply here too, and if it does, run away very fast.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by woodey
So here’s the situation, I’m at the 3rd interview stage of a really good job. The package, role etc are all excellent but the they have offered me some more money (approx. Ł2,000 a month after tax) to compensate for the travel.
You’re at the interview stage and they’re already offering you money? They obviously want you so I’d say “thanks but no thanks” and walk away, and see what they say.

Actually, that’s what I’d like to say, but tbh I’d take it, see how it goes, and already be on the lookout for something else in case it goes wrong.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
From my perspective, I see more and more companies going to a Y only policy. Since they have that policy, I suspect that they probably have a travel agent you must book through. The last company I was at had a dedicated Amex website and the company policies were applied, so any non complying flights were simply not available. Part of that is they negotiated a business discount with Air Canada and this ensures all the business is booked with AC and recorded to hit their volume targets.

The rule was I could book flights up to $150 more than the cheapest flight, but hotels were rather non restricted, I could pretty much book what I wanted, within reason. A large suite at The Savoy was obviously out, but hotel and meal expenses were not scrutinized very much.

In the OP's shoes I would look at the larger picture: is this a job you would like, and do you think you would enjoy working with the people? I think the people are the most important part, if you dread getting up in the morning to have to face people you can't stand to be in the same room with that is far more important than a flight in Y. They are offering cash compensation for the flights, so do AUP's when you can and consider it a cash bonus for the flights you can't. Maybe it's different if you're 6'9" and can't physically fit in a Y seat, but use your Ł2k to book an exit row seat.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
You will never find me in Y on a business trip. Too old for that s1ht. I may let them away with the Hamburg Rule. That is all.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Short answer - I would turn it down.

Long answer - If it really is that really good job you say it is, is it just another role or is a dream job for you? It's a personal choice but important for you to weigh up the job vs the benefits of J/F. I agree with others that if they're firm on everyone travelling Y, what else are they firm on re: hotels...expenses...overtime...flexibility etc...
They were quick to throw more money at it, they obviously want you - which could even allow you to push it again (either the J-clause in your contract one more time, or ask for an extra Łk or so...)

Good luck - do let us know what decision you make!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd have jumped at the chance of such a job when I was young....not now though, even in J.

This shows how much corporate travel policy has changed over the years and how it has affected the airline industry. My brother is a Director working for a large US based wealth management company and even he sometimes has to fly premium economy.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Well, everyone I have worked for has had a (cheapest) Y-travel policy and I have survived 30+ years of travel - often one rtn LH trip/month. It's not ideal, but I've made Gold - primarily from some additional personal flights. Y is okay, you have to accept it for what it is, and delight in the additional benefits when they present themselves. (An extra 2k/month would be really nice!).

Certainly in my line of work you all pay for my travel - why would you pay for me to travel business/first? (In fact all, those company tickets - we all also pay for through the goods we buy!).
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
My opinion is "No, don't take it".

If a long haul trip is worth doing, it's worth paying the extra to do it in W or J, so you don't arrive at the other end as a fatigued, crumpled mess. If it's not worth spending that money on, the reason behind the trip isn't sound.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:20 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
You'll find it'll take its toll on you eventually, if the LH flights are often shorter flights to Europe then it's ok, but if you're travelling to places north of 12 hour legs like Beijing often it'll certainly be pretty tough.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, do more research on what the corporate TA books. If the company books a corporate discount but into published fares, that is one thing. But, if its TA uses consolidator or BULK fares, those cannot be upgraded or may only be upgraded with great difficulty. Also find out what other policies exist. Are you booked into the lowest fare for what someone else determines is the best timing? Will the employer pay for seat assignments if in that position?

Second, at least as a middle ground, have the TA book you into your preferred class of service and provide a personal CC for the excess over what is allowed. Upgrades are purely discretionary and if you make general use of them, will slowly go away. You also can't be sure that BA won't change its policies tomorrow.

Third, whatever you do, have it written into your contract. Side deals never work because the people on the other side of the deal tend to leave and the next ones are not quite so understanding.

Fourth, do understand that these people are ready to bump your compensation by $24,000 + taxes on that in order to entice you. If they want to do that, they can also sign a contract for J travel over some number of hours. The CEO may fly in the middle seat in steerage because it sends a message to shareholders, but you are not the CEO.
Calchas and TPRun like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by All She Wrote
You'll find it'll take its toll on you eventually, if the LH flights are often shorter flights to Europe then it's ok, but if you're travelling to places north of 12 hour legs like Beijing often it'll certainly be pretty tough.
This is exactly correct. I did 2 years of LHR-DFW returns, twice a month in Y. Even pointing out that changing two a two week rotation and booking Premium Economy would be cheaper fell on deaf ears. So I walked away from a job I loved because I couldn’t do that to myself anymore - at 6’ 3, if I did t get an exit row (which happened most of the time) it was ten hours of torture basically every weekend, I hardly ever saw my wife etc.

5 years later I’m now in still in the job I left for, happier still and with an enshrined J over 6 hours policy. Although, ironically, I’m supposed to be travelling less these days, yet am heading out on my 6th longhaul work flight of the year tomorrow.

But it back to the original point, no, from painful experience I would not take a job with an all Y policy
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: none
Sounds like a great job to me. But it does seem tiring after some time. I guess it's all about enduring it if they pay well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.