Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

So here’s the situation, I’m at the 3rd interview stage of a really good job. The package, role etc are all excellent but the company has an all Y travel policy, no exceptions, even the CEO travels Y (it’s a large America company). I’m likely to need to travel long haul once a month and short haul once a month. I’m OK with the short haul Y, I’m used to that in my current job but long-haul Y then straight into a meeting seems brutal.

I’ve tried negotiating with them but there’s no give, they have offered me some more money (approx. £2,000 a month after tax) to compensate for the travel. I think the idea is I can use my own money to upgrade when I want to but they’ve been clear that the corporate travel department will only ever book me Y.

So, a couple of questions. Has anyone ever turned down a really good job because of the travel policy? And if I go for it I’ll be looking to AUP a couple of long-haul Y segments a month, about 24 a year. Will I run into problems with BA? I seem to remember threads about AUP where ‘the computer says no’.

Thanks.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
If the job is that good, just go for it. Improve your status and enjoy the lounge access as well before the flights. If need be do connecting flights so not sitting in Y form LHR/LAX or so.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Based on your description, I'd say go for it. They've given you the money to AUP, and you can probably survive the few cases you can't due to a full cabin.

My current client is strictly Y only as well (to a certain distance) I book WTP and AuP into CW as suits. I swallow the costs, but really regard them as part of the contract, i.e. I negotiated price with that in mind.

Good luck whatever you choose, nice dilemma

Edit: for clarification, I expense the Y fare.
RJD1983 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
For 2k post tax a month I’d be willing watch the comic relief safety video again much less take a Y exit row
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The precise way your travel is booked makes a considerable difference to your upgrade potential.

Personally I would not accept a job with this policy.
sgm, RJD1983, Ed Size and 20 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by rather_be_on_a_griffin
For 2k post tax a month I’d be willing watch the comic relief safety video again much less take a Y exit row

Me also, but its all relative surely. There are people to whom that's life changing, people to whom it's "nice to have" and people who wouldn't notice unless their accountant told them.

I take the figure to relate to the cost of cabin upgrades and nothing more
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:10 pm

Yes I would turn it down, and have done in the past.
PleasureFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The precise way your travel is booked makes a considerable difference to your upgrade potential.

That's very interesting. I feel I'm about to be schooled

I thought all fares could be AuP'ed?

I'm utterly ignorant on corporate fares, so curious. Thanks in advance
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I suppose that very much depends on your background and experience. Many people would accept any job paying £2k a month after tax let alone this being an increase on the original job offer.

Also worth noting that this is likely to be 1 LH return per month. Very much different to your own travel CWS. And I suppose in your position and level of travel I would also not accept this policy.
thirdpassport, u01sss3 and 07L 25R like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
with the downward spiral in Y, it will only get worse in the long term.

spending that much time in a narrow seat with limited wiggle room and not much space to stretch out has the potential to cause health problems. Don’t forget that the seats are also getting harder with less padding, and sitting on them long term will cause issues to blood circulation.

but if it’s a dream job, then Suck it up, claim the extra pay and then invoke your right to a daily rest period under the Working Time Regulations and that should prevent you from having to go straight into a meeting on arrival.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
I have a company Y-only policy; and this was after many years (different industry) of traveling in J. I find that increasingly, many companies are going to Y-policies, especially for flights under a certain threshhold, and at most are allowing W for long haul.

This ultimately did not play a significant role in deciding whether or not to take the position, but then I have to remind myself that I am barely over 5 foot tall, whereas I do have colleagues that are 6'4" who suffer more in the increasingly densified cabins.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I would probably be wary about trying to AUP every trip. I haven't been told "No" yet when I have upgraded from WT+ to Club but I am probably still in single digits in terms of the number of AUPs I have purchased.

Would you be able to book your own travel, paying the difference between WT and WT+ and simply expensing the economy fare? Or would you be expected to have the corporate TA book for you and then you'd need to pay a change fee and fare difference to upgrade? Would the corporate TA do this?

In terms of flying WT, I think it also depends on where you're flying to and from. If it's relatively short distances (say London to east coast US destinations) then that's a different prospect to flying LAX - HKG for example. Aircraft type may make a difference too. I would probably be ok flying WT in the A380 but I wouldn't fancy it on the B787.

Apart from that, I am not sure I'd ever turn down a job simply because of the travel policy. It does sound that you are very keen on the position, and the fact that the company has negotiated an increase in your salary to take into account the travel policy sounds like they are very keen on you too!
HampsteadHeath likes this.

Last edited by Geordie405; Mar 2, 2018 at 1:26 pm Reason: Formatting and clarification
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I personally would not accept that if I was expected to fly long haul monthly. And usually in orgs with such a policy where they say even the CEO flies in Y, in reality the CEO rarely travels so it's a bit silly for that to be a justification. I guess it depends whether they book in full fare Y, or cheapest fare which would block all upgrade options. Also if the travel is often booked last minute the cost difference can be substantial for anything but an AUP.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Skywards
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Yes I would turn it down, and have done in the past.
If the company policy of Y travel is more important than attracting the best person for the job they deserve to fail, and will eventually.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
The thing I really hate about my current job is the Y only policy for travel to our US head office... detest travelling there but I stick to AA so get MCE and connect to make the journey tolerable. Also still get all the other benefits on the ground which again help

have to say I would look at any future travel polocy beforw I took a new role....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.