Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Old Aug 9, 18, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
If they move to all Y, One option is to calculate the estimated fare difference for the year between Y and PE and negotiate a raise that covers you paying the difference.
That means your entire raise is consumed by upgrades meaning zero cost of living increase which means a real terms you are worse off.

Just move jobs
Old Aug 9, 18, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
If they move to all Y, One option is to calculate the estimated fare difference for the year between Y and PE and negotiate a raise that covers you paying the difference.
Originally Posted by flyer200 View Post
That means your entire raise is consumed by upgrades meaning zero cost of living increase which means a real terms you are worse off.

Just move jobs
Plus, any increase you negotiate will be partly eaten by taxes so you in fact lose money from the off.
Old Aug 9, 18, 6:13 am

Programs: IHG Gold
In my job, we have no flights or need for flights anyway, as we are all in the south east of England. But for rail travel, we have a "No First class ever" policy, even if First is cheaper than Standard...
My last company policy was "Cheap as possible". No long haul but a couple of European trips a year, usually to head office in Munich. It was hard enough persuading my manager that even flying KLM (in Y) from Norwich was cheaper than Easyjet out of Stansted, when you factor in parking, and mileage to the airport.
My sister is an accountant, and her company policy (she flies maybe once per year to the US) is Y from our local airport (Norwich) or roughly equivalent cost. This year, a Y ticket from Norwich to Washington was £1300 (school holidays...) but J from Gatwick on Aer Lingus was about £1500. For that small difference, her company was ok with it.
signol
Old Aug 9, 18, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I've mentioned earlier how our company is cool.

In the past, I worked o a big company £300M+ in the UK and I spoke to our UK MD (he liked our Scottish sales team because it was fun at the end of year and no crawling) and said it was daft going standard on rail and no time to work. I said we are expected to make a certain turnover. Divide that by the number of working days in a year. Q? Boss....... Do you want me to be crammed on a train saving a hundred quid or travelling in 1st class making thousands in 4 hours.

Canged in an instant. Because the heads of companies look beyond the minutiae.

Don't go to your boss. Go to hte decision maker.

PS I would turn down a Y only job becauew it says the company is full of people that are not dynamic or have a common sense voice. GLA-LHR (unless TP's fly ET) Long haul. No way.....
frandrake likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Brown
Originally Posted by signol View Post
In my job, we have no flights or need for flights anyway, as we are all in the south east of England. But for rail travel, we have a "No First class ever" policy, even if First is cheaper than Standard...
My last company had the same policy for rail travel. It was insane. You couldn't book First tickets in advance even though they might be cheaper than Standard pay on the day fares.

For flying we have Y only (unless the client is paying) but you can upgrade yourself with points/cash. Previously you could get away with Y+ as long as it wasn't excessively more expensive but TPTB put a stop to that. Rather than trusting your professional judgement there is now a flat policy for everyone.
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:43 am

Programs: Starbucks Rewards GOLD
Originally Posted by PAL62V View Post
Plus, any increase you negotiate will be partly eaten by taxes so you in fact lose money from the off.
This is actually a good point that got me thinking... Can you claim tax relief from HMRC any AUP/POUG costs? As per the HMRC policy on this: https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...night-expenses
lavajava likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mario View Post
This is actually a good point that got me thinking... Can you claim tax relief from HMRC any AUP/POUG costs? As per the HMRC policy on this: https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...night-expenses
Provided it's a temporary place of work I don't see why not. It's public transport after all!
Old Aug 10, 18, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This is an important question. My view of the world is that there is nothing wrong with flying in economy class for work but there has to be a really good reason to get on that plane. Saving money alone is not enough.

Scenario 1:
There is a risk that the company will run out of cash and go bust if I travel business class, e.g. they are a pre-revenue startup = OK to travel economy

Scenario 2:
The CEO needs a bonus or the shareholders need higher returns = not OK to travel economy

Generally, for professional people if it is worth travelling at all it is worth paying for business class. I would make the case that no job is "really good" if scenario 2 applies.

Tafflyer and pacenotes like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by woodey View Post
So hereís the situation, Iím at the 3rd interview stage of a really good job. The package, role etc are all excellent but the company has an all Y travel policy, no exceptions, even the CEO travels Y (itís a large America company). Iím likely to need to travel long haul once a month and short haul once a month. Iím OK with the short haul Y, Iím used to that in my current job but long-haul Y then straight into a meeting seems brutal.

Iíve tried negotiating with them but thereís no give, they have offered me some more money (approx. £2,000 a month after tax) to compensate for the travel. I think the idea is I can use my own money to upgrade when I want to but theyíve been clear that the corporate travel department will only ever book me Y.

So, a couple of questions. Has anyone ever turned down a really good job because of the travel policy? And if I go for it Iíll be looking to AUP a couple of long-haul Y segments a month, about 24 a year. Will I run into problems with BA? I seem to remember threads about AUP where Ďthe computer says noí.

Thanks.

The "policy" means your base ticket. Always buy coach if that is the policy..but you have every right to buy up out of your own pocket using miles or money, of if the airline upgrades you because of the status you are earning.

If they said even that was not allowed, I would be concerned..because it's none of their business what I do with MY money or MY miles, and none of their business if the airline decides to upgrade me. Their only concern should be what they paid for the ticket, not any perks that come after that, as they don't hit the P&L statements.

It's a bit invasive into the employee's personal business. I have a low tolerance for when employers over-step into areas of employees lives that they shouldn't. I once had some crazy manager insist that all employees put company logo license plate frames on our cars..or face discipline. That got quashed quick when the company realized they can't dictate what we do with our private property, and someone went right to EEOC with a legit complaint.
Old Aug 23, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
definitely. but i would say that it's mostly because i'm a giant and Y does not give me ample legroom.
also there are fewer people in business to annoy me, so business is preferable.
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
I once had some crazy manager insist that all employees put company logo license plate frames on our cars
Really?
Old Aug 23, 18, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Really?
Whereas my employer just decides to stick their logo over just about every jetbridge I ever walk along...

[email protected]@dy brilliant strategy by the way, and I actually say that without a trace of sarcasm, for once... maybe in part because they don't make me travel in Y long haul
ibbitsc likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by mario View Post
I do now and not in prison... yet As I recall HMRC are most interested in the journey being a business journey. All my work related journey upgrades I claim.
Old Aug 24, 18, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Covered here with HMRC guidance links:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...business-trip/
Old Aug 24, 18, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirBnb 700x Platinum, AC (never again)
Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
Whereas my employer just decides to stick their logo over just about every jetbridge I ever walk along...
Suspect I am sitting just a couple floors below you.

Any ideas if J > F would be acceptable to HMRC? or is that using the term "Public Transport" too loosely?
ibbitsc likes this.

Search this Thread