Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Old Jul 14, 18, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've certainly learned to ask in the future what the travel policy is. I'm perfectly happy in y provided that either a) flight is a daytime flight up to, say 12-13 hours, and b) anything over that/overnight flight is in in a format where I can lie down, be that j or be that 3 y seats next to each other!
Old Jul 16, 18, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

Bless. You really believe that? You think someone earning a couple of million dollars a year is doing this?

Even when I was a £19k graduate trainee banker 25 years ago we were paying the extra £50 out of own pockets to cover the difference between fully flex BA Y and J on short haul.

At most, they will have been given a salary or allowance increase which allows them to nominally pay the extra from their own pockets but not actually be wose off. My wife was once offered a variant on this as part of a retention deal (my wife is one of the few bankers in London with a contract which forbids the bank for firing her except for gross misconduct, it is laughable what some companies will sign if pushed.)
I don't have to believe it, I know it! Despite your rather condescending assumption that I wouldn't know better, I actually business partner someone who does report to the board and I control his $150m a year budget. There ain't a lot for travel in there, we don't book flexible tickets and he doesn't get a travel allowance.

And I don't work in financial services so he definitely doesn't earn a couple of million dollars a year!!
Old Jul 16, 18, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
I was talking to a staggeringly wealthly London lawyer at the weekend, who runs (along with others) a firm whose client base is largely in SIN and elsewhere thereabouts. He lives a stones throw from LHR on the Piccadilly line.

He exclusively travels Y.

From LGW.

On Norwegian.

I bit my tounge and moved away for more canapés....
Old Jul 16, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by memesweeper View Post
[left]I was talking to a staggeringly wealthly London lawyer at the weekend, who runs (along with others) a firm whose client base is largely in SIN and elsewhere thereabouts. He lives a stones throw from LHR on the Piccadilly line.

From LGW.

On Norwegian.
Perhaps with his bookings, Norwegian may be a lot better value. Both BA and Norwegian have non stop services to Singapore. Looking at a booking for wed-sat this week , BA's lowest fare is GBP1971 vs GBP1203 on Norwegian. Norwegian's timings are , imo, much more civilised with morning departures
flyer200 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I was talking to a staggeringly wealthly London lawyer at the weekend, who runs (along with others) a firm whose client base is largely in SIN and elsewhere thereabouts. He lives a stones throw from LHR on the Piccadilly line.

From LGW.

On Norwegian.

Forget the Y part, he's staggeringly wealthy but chooses to live in West Hounslow???

Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Forget the Y part, he's staggeringly wealthy but chooses to live in West Hounslow???

That was my first reaction too!
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mjh0 View Post
My opinion is "No, don't take it".

If a long haul trip is worth doing, it's worth paying the extra to do it in W or J, so you don't arrive at the other end as a fatigu9ed, crumpled mess. If it's not worth spending that money on, the reason behind the trip isn't sound.
I arrive like that even in F or J
JP Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:45 pm

Lounge, tongue, sort of the same really if the canapés were fine!
Old Jul 16, 18, 5:11 pm

Programs: BAGGL, TK Elite, Accor Gold, Hilton Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post

Maybe he owns West Hounslow?
Old Jul 16, 18, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich View Post

Maybe he owns West Hounslow?
Even so......
Old Jul 16, 18, 10:23 pm

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Define "really good". Surely, a "really good" job pays adequately, such that one could easily afford splurging on last minute F flights, not on BA, without blinking an eyelid?
Old Jul 16, 18, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
This has been an interesting read. I work in a (Chinese) university. Our policy had been until recently Y for everyone, all distances, except that W was counted as Y because I think noone noticed: most of my colleagues book travel at the very last minute due to visa issues, so their flight costs (in Y) are much more than mine (in W, when e.g. I travel BA). Private US universities typically allow J for long-haul, IF the funds are not from US government sources. UK universities are by far the most miserly...typically Y only, but there are lots of fudge factors....

I travel about once a month long-haul, and being in W makes a big difference. I credit to AA because as EXP at least I get 4 SWUs a year. I wouldn't turn down a "dream job" however, because of travel policy...I've already, quite knowingly, chosen to be in a low paying job despite my education and skills...so clearly $$ have rarely been the major consideration. But would I prefer to travel in W/J: very much so!!

tb
Old Jul 17, 18, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 07L 25R View Post
Define "really good". Surely, a "really good" job pays adequately, such that one could easily afford splurging on last minute F flights, not on BA, without blinking an eyelid?
Perhaps not every month though
Old Jul 17, 18, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC
<div style="text-align:left;"></div>
Old Jul 17, 18, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC
I’m fortunate in that I (mainly) own a small 100 person company and refuse to have a travel (or expenses) policy. I regularly fly CE that is cheaper than EasyJet. For our first 11 years all long haul travel was Y and I walked the walk, based on the fact that one of our customers was Microsoft and we couldn’t expense other classes. Then I discovered bizarre routes where WT+ was cheaper and offered the longer, more complex routes vs Y. Most people took Y.

Recently I had a great group in Seattle and some of them elected to have partners join them before or after the event. I let them pick the class they wanted to travel with their partners (the ticket they were paying for) and so most of them flew mixed class, with us paying for a cabin higher usually when they were on their own. I totally appreciate that this doesn’t scale.

FYI - one of the more expensive tickets was a Y with baggage and seat charges to get the two at the back by the bogs. Could have got WTP+ for less.

Search this Thread