Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Old Mar 5, 18, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
OP, you havenít stated what your current travel policy is? If youíre going from a J-policy now to a Y-policy, this may prove to be a more strenuous stretch for you than moving from a Y-only policy with your current employer (or a job that involves no travel at all).

My employer mandates Y-only for all employees below VP level. VPís and above may book J travel on international travel more than 6-hours (so coast-to-coast US travel, for example, is always Y). Itís not always especially pleasant, but perfectly doable with the right mindset. And an extra £2k a month would certainly improve my mindset!

In in terms of upgrades, if using a corporate booking tool, you may find you will never receive a POUG or able to update via MMB. You may be able to upgrade prior to travel by ringing your corporate travel agent, but that will often involve a straight fare-difference upgrade plus change fee, which is often an expensive way to upgrade. AUPs are doable, subject to availability (and whatever route and days you travel may have some impact on what is/isnít available) and Iíve also had some success recently with App-Upgrades at OLCI despite being on a corporate TA issued ticket.

Originally Posted by woodey View Post
I need to decide over the weekend and it really boils down to work/life balance. If I take the job I need to resign myself to a lot more travel than Iím currently doing and be prepared to travel a day earlier and come back a day later which would often mean eating into weekends / family time.
This, for me, is key and something you should seriously consider and discuss with your prospective employer. More so than class of travel. I am very clear with my company - they mandate Y-only travel. That is fine. Itís their policy. I have a similarly clear policy. I donít travel on business during weekends. If needed for long-haul travel, I fly out on a Monday and return on a Thursday night, arriving in the UK by Friday. Therefore my working week is effectively Tuesday-Thursday on such travel weeks and needs to be considered when planning.

It it has raised some eyebrows as itís been suggested to me that it would be ďpreferredĒ my travel includes a Saturday night, as that often drops £1k off of a £1600 UK-US Y return. But for me, if Y is the only option to get me out there, I donít think it unreasonable to ensure my weekends are protected to ensure adequate rest for the next working week.

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi View Post
At interviews, candidates should ask questions - this is when you have a chance to find out if the job or the employer is right for you. Obviously, base pay is important, as are bonus schemes, share/options schemes, insurance policies, pension setup, mobile & internet, flexible working, holidays and if the job entails frequent travel then the travel policy is an important part of the total package. I find it worrying that several posters who work for HR are critical of candidates asking about it.
Indeed, very strange. And while I donít think a corporate travel policy should necessarily be a deal breaker, asking some follow up questions and understanding the details of a policy (is it Y-only no-ifs, no-buts, or a ďwe pay for Y, whatever you want to pay to upgrade is your businessĒ) is important information for a candidate to come to considered view on any job offer.
Old Mar 5, 18, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
I think the work life balance is a very important factor and one that shouldn't be underestimated. I was perfectly happy spending 50 - 60% of my time travelling while I was single, but now I am settled with a family it's not something I'd consider (irrespective of the class of travel).

I also understand where GM1985 is coming from in terms of no travel at weekends. This was a real killer for me in terms of working in the Middle East. I would do M-F in Brussels, Saturday would be spent travelling to one of our Middle East offices, and then you're straight back into work on Sunday! I would catch up on the missed days at the end of the trip, having Friday and Saturday as the weekend in Dubai and then flying back home on Sunday (but then straight back to work on Monday).

I too have had various eyebrows raised from time to time, but most of the time we've managed to reach a compromise. The one frustration - even now - is that we cannot book J class travel even when it is cheaper than WT+ but it's perfectly acceptable to book it, paying the difference personally, when it's more expensive.

In 14 years with the same firm, there's only been one occasion when I refused to travel. I was expected to fly to LAX in WT for what were totally spurious reasons. I said I wasn't prepared to travel unless it was WT+ and cited the amount of travel I was doing. A colleague was sent instead, in WT, and he complained bitterly about the experience. He asked what it would cost personally to upgrade to WT+ for the return, and then balked at the cost. The firm subsequently paid for the upgrade!
Old Mar 6, 18, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Well, I've not travelled on business much, and they tend to back off if they want to send me somewhere in economy due to my conditions.

I basically say that if you want me to fly Y, I will have no flexibility. Those hours are bookable/time off in lieu. I will fly on business days, so no night before, wasting a day of my weekend, and no other such fare saving conditions (I know people who stay Saturday night because their employer books this because a cheaper fare).

Some people I know seem to view overseas LH travel as some sort of benefit, and give flexibility of their weekends before and after to see a place. This is taken advantage of with some employers, especially the type who will book the cheapest fare.

How many times are you wasting your Sunday flying, or your Saturday flying back? And they give you Y?
Old Mar 6, 18, 3:31 am

Programs: BA gold
Weekends don't factor into my life since I am on a rotation so wasting a Sunday or any other day doesn't factor in... and my travel days counts as work days, from the moment I step out of my front door to when I return. I don't oftern go into work on arrival and they do make sure I have a hotel room to go to even if I don't check in until 7am.

I use the money earned during travels to upgrade when I can, which is why BA's AUPs are so useful when they arise, especially on the flights going back to UK. It's a shame the POUGs on BA don't work for me due to TA and third party flights in the booking.
Old Mar 6, 18, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I once did a post that involved regular travel to Middle East, which was all J. The pattern of travel usually involved weekend flights or very disrupted days each way due to the timetables, and J meant I could accept loss of a Sunday, or fly overnight and be in job the next day (e.g. 2am from BAH into LHR at 7, in my office by 8.30 at latest and do full day of work). This was a genuine life saver in terms of my ability to sleep and maintain some semblance of home/life balance as on weekends I wasn't too tired to do anything.

When they moved to a PE policy, I moved on - sorry, but I am not sleeping sitting up and then going to work - that is not sensible or healthy.

A 'no J' policy is also not always cost effective - I always cite example of needing to send team member to Korea, where direct BA flight in PE was approx £4500, while the indirect Emirates flight in J with limo transfer at each end was approx £1700 for a journey that took about 4 hours longer. A total no brainer, but one hell of a fight to get it sorted!
Old Mar 6, 18, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by jimlad48 View Post
A 'no J' policy is also not always cost effective - I always cite example of needing to send team member to Korea, where direct BA flight in PE was approx £4500, while the indirect Emirates flight in J with limo transfer at each end was approx £1700 for a journey that took about 4 hours longer. A total no brainer, but one hell of a fight to get it sorted!
Some people may prefer the direct flight even in W but those who want to take the cheaper option should be allowed to take it. I know given the choice I'd choose to set off earlier for a longhaul trip in comfort. In that circumstance it would also let me discover if I'd find the EK bling as overpowering as it looks in the publicity!
Old Mar 6, 18, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
All very interesting... One perspective has been touched on which is the circumstances of the individual. I'm 6 foot 4 inches (which is 1.94m), 47 years old with a body mass index at the high end of normal (ie not quite obese but one big weekend would get me there!) I would have to think very, very carefully about taking such a job for medical reasons... About a decade ago I was asked to take on a contract with economy only travel but we agreed on Premium Economy when I discussed it with the client simply because I am such a big unit - where there wasn't a PE product it was club. The question of liability for health issues arising from cramming someone into Economy is interesting, especially if the individual can show that they only ever travel in a premium cabin for personal long haul travel (which was a card I played in that particular negotiation)..

A friend is in a similar situation with a Y only travel policy. He "plays a straight bat" and books as economic a fare as possible. He knows that many of his colleagues wait to the very, very last minute to book their travel so are then able to find cheaper, indirect flights in premium cabins which they then book to save the company money - they also play the martyr card for having to spend more hours in the air flying indirectly. Not fair, but the company in question hasn't worked it out of doesn't put a high priority on the issue.

One final point is that there's economy and economy. I am starting my own business so am very cost conscious. I just flew LHR - DOH - MEL, SIN - DOH - LHR on Qatar in Y and SYD - SIN on Qantas in Y. I am BA Gold, and for 3 of the 4 flights on Qatar I got the magic X (blocked seat) next to me, which meant I had a row to myself - 2 being upstairs on an A380. Qatar's legroom is very decent anyway, so the 4th flight (where I had a blocked seat next to me until 12 hours before the flight but it obviously filled up at the last minute) was actually ok. The Qantas leg was purgatory with knees pressed hard against the seat in front for every second I spent in the seat - never again!
Scallywag72 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 18, 6:44 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
OT - Advice to a fellow FTer

Originally Posted by layz View Post
Some people may prefer the direct flight even in W but those who want to take the cheaper option should be allowed to take it. I know given the choice I'd choose to set off earlier for a longhaul trip in comfort. In that circumstance it would also let me discover if I'd find the EK bling as overpowering as it looks in the publicity!
Dear layz, allow me to give you a few data reference points - it is not overpowering if done on a night flight! I have posted this elsewhere I think.

My travel requires LHR-NBO-LHR travel, usually "day trips" flying back within 24 hours of arrival. The client pays for BA PE for this flight because of the duration although they have an all-Y policy for their staff, but contractors like me can buy whatever airline and class we want and invoice them for the BA W rate and pay the difference ourselves. The BA email quote is ideal for this.

My firm* allows me to travel at whatever class I think suits my travel needs. As I found that BA PE for NBO-LHR for one trip was only £20 cheaper than EK 1st class for the overnight flight it took about 4 milliseconds to make the decision. I had a 777ER in 1st from NBO-DXB, after dinner I slept. 3 hours transfer in the 1st wing in DXB where I endured a shower, massage and dining. 1st class suite on the A380 to LHR, slept all the way. Then 100mile Merc S class limo transfer to my destination, slept some of that too. Not a bad deal for £20.

Done it a few more times since. Sometimes also get the 777ER with suites from NBO-DXB. I have only ever flown 1st class with EK - always at night!!

*I am the Managing Director and principal shareholder - never have a problem with getting my travel policy agreed at the AGM
RoyalSwazi and Scallywag72 like this.
Old Mar 6, 18, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
GO FOR THE MONEY! (that's why you are working!)

My last employer allowed J travel for flights over 2 hours, but also allowed us to pocket up to $1000 per trip if we chose to travel in Y. I pocketed an extra $40K per year because of this policy....well worth the short lived discomfort.

If you are seriously considering turning down a job because of the travel policy my guess is that they are not paying you enough to start with.
Old Mar 6, 18, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by woodey View Post
I need to decide over the weekend and it really boils down to work/life balance. If I take the job I need to resign myself to a lot more travel than Iím currently doing and be prepared to travel a day earlier and come back a day later which would often mean eating into weekends / family time.

Thanks again for all the comments, it's interesting to get other people's perspectives.
What did you decide? If you don't want to say, obviously that's fine too
Old Mar 6, 18, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by TPRun View Post
What did you decide? If you don't want to say, obviously that's fine too
I think this thread has allowed a thorough exploration of this dilemma
Old Mar 6, 18, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
I think this thread has allowed a thorough exploration of this dilemma
full disclosure - I didn't read all of the responses
Old Mar 6, 18, 8:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Post deleted by moderators
I'm a regular on the BA forums, but this is being posted from a new account as I know a few people at my company read FT and I don't want to out myself
Folks, just a reminder of FT Rule #1 :

"You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames"

FT takes account integrity seriously (as one or two individuals who thought it was OK to post from a duplicitous username have recently found out), so please be aware that registering and posting from another username, whatever the motivation, places you at risk of permanent exclusion from FT.

the mod team
Old Mar 6, 18, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Folks, just a reminder of FT Rule #1 :

"You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames"

FT takes account integrity seriously (as one or two individuals who thought it was OK to post from a duplicitous username have recently found out), so please be aware that registering and posting from another username, whatever the motivation, places you at risk of permanent exclusion from FT.

the mod team
Can I raise a related question here (BTW I agree with you 100%) - is it possible to change your username but keep the account the same in every other way? O ask because I wish I'd been a little more imaginative with my username!
Old Mar 6, 18, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by simon1234567 View Post
Can I raise a related question here (BTW I agree with you 100%) - is it possible to change your username but keep the account the same in every other way? O ask because I wish I'd been a little more imaginative with my username!
I've seen people change their username before, their old username appears below their new one for a while so people can see who it is.

Search this Thread