Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do BA's upgraded ever get downgraded when the operational need evaporates?

Do BA's upgraded ever get downgraded when the operational need evaporates?

Old Mar 2, 18, 12:53 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 14,003
Do BA's upgraded ever get downgraded when the operational need evaporates?

I ask because on a SriLankan flight last week ground crew came on board and asked a woman to move back to economy because they no longer needed her seat.

It seemed a cruel move. The woman had got comfortable in her seat, and i can imagine she was feeling pretty pleased with the world (we've all been there). Business was by no means full, so by that stage the cost to UL would have been negligible; perhaps an enhanced crew meal would have been sacrificed. The cost of bullying the passenger out of the cabin was to make the airline look unprofessional.

The mistake was clearly UL's; and, to me, just as clearly one they should have swallowed.


I'm assuming even BA miscalculates, mis-guesses, and regrets upgrading a passenger. But would they resort to downgrading in this situation? `and if, so, at what stage should the Upregaded One feel safe?
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 12:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 556
Iíve been upgraded and downgraded on BA before. Before I got on the plane so not so extreme.
jday is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 1:26 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,108
I guess the question is whether BA ever downgrade simply because the need for the upgrade goes away (bad) or because new circumstances force an op-down and so op-ups would be the first in line (understandable).
fruitcage is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 1:54 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,206
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I ask because on a SriLankan flight last week ground crew came on board and asked a woman to move back to economy because they no longer needed her seat.
I wonder whether we'd need to know more about the circumstances to form a view about what happened. Clearly, your feelings about the situation would be justified if that passenger were simply a bog standard commercial passenger who had been favoured with an unannounced bog standard operational upgrade. However, do you know whether that was the case? Might she perhaps have been travelling on some staff scheme (whether she was herself staff or not) that had special rules about upgrades? Or might she perhaps have accepted the original apparent upgrade on a specific understanding about the basis on which it was being done, so that she already knew in advance about the conditional nature of the upgrade?
Globaliser is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 1:56 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Posts: 1,078
Be interested to see if there's any EU261 angle here. Yes it might be an op-up, but is there some threshold point where once you're in your seat, being moved could constitute an involuntary downgrade?
ratechaser is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 2:07 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
Be interested to see if there's any EU261 angle here. Yes it might be an op-up, but is there some threshold point where once you're in your seat, being moved could constitute an involuntary downgrade?
How? EU261 has to do with class paid for, and class travelled AFAIK? You paid for economy, was given a last minute op-up, and then down to economy while back on the plane... You paid economy, and flew economy... How would you claim for that... and more importantly, why?
haroon145 likes this.
LondonCanuck is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 2:08 am
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 13,413
Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
Be interested to see if there's any EU261 angle here. Yes it might be an op-up, but is there some threshold point where once you're in your seat, being moved could constitute an involuntary downgrade?
None whatsoever.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 2:13 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, IHG Spire, former black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
Posts: 7,414
Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
Be interested to see if there's any EU261 angle here. Yes it might be an op-up, but is there some threshold point where once you're in your seat, being moved could constitute an involuntary downgrade?
definitely not. if a pax paid for Y and ends up flying Y, there's no compensation even if they were upgraded and downgraded in the meantime. they never bought / were entitled to a seat in a different cabin so there's no downgrade compensation due.
chris1979 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 4:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London, England
Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Posts: 1,007
I've seen upgrades moved back on BA, usually staff, but I know it happened to one commercial passenger in HKG. Apparently, the handling agent (Jardine) knew they had a need, upgraded a full-fare J class pax to F, and just before the door was closed moved the pax back to Club, but into a middle seat. Pax had already received an amenity kit, glass of fizz, etc. The CSD appeared, and re-upgraded the customer saying "BA never do this to valued customers". Nice save by the CSD, box ticking exercise by the handling agent. Pax still goes on about it, even after BA sent some fizzy bubbly as an apology.
adrianlondon and bisonrav like this.
AndyFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 4:31 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, IHG Spire, former black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard
Posts: 7,414
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer View Post
I've seen upgrades moved back on BA, usually staff,
downgrading upgraded staff makes sense - all staff travel is pretty much standby. even when they are confirmed on a flight in a certain class, it's on the provision that if the seat is needed for a revenue pax, that they'll be booted out.
chris1979 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 6:26 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, ARN, HEL, ..... or MAN
Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Posts: 4,846
It's a good question. I remember a couple of years ago being upgraded on a shorthaul 767 to ARN. Then we had an equipment change to a longhaul 767 and I was fully expecting to end up back in ET, but somehow still kept my 2A seat number and kept my upgrade. I did wonder whether some CE passengers who had paid for CE ended up in WT+. I didn't complain through !
ThatT1Feeling is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 6:52 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: HKG
Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Posts: 2,557
I don't think they do. My experience once on this showed not a few years ago, though in this case perhaps it was my mobile check-in that saved me:
  • On paid Club/Business from PVG-LHR (perhaps three years ago)
  • Had been checking regularly for paid or avios upgrade to First, it never came through
  • Checked in at T-24 with my last hope for a paid upgrade
  • Found we'd been upgraded by BA to First, and checked in/got mobile boarding passes
  • On the flight the (very good) crew said that we had been upgraded in advance as they were oversold by ~10 seats in business. However despite that a lot of people hadn't checked in so in fact they had seats spare in business
As such, I enjoyed the flight very much, and always thought how BA could have easily gotten money/Avios from me if they'd offered it!
littlevoices is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 7:09 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
Guidance, albeit non-binding, issued by the EC in 2016, makes it quite clear that downgrades of truly free UG's such as OPUPs, are not covered by the EC 261/2004 downgrade refund scheme. .

.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 7:34 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Berkshire
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Posts: 635
I have been booked in Club. Checked in at T4 (this dates the issue). Upgraded by and escorted to the T4 CCR by SS. Collected by SS to walk to the plane and downgraded during same walk with an apology that a revenue issue came up
BA038_Passenger is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 7:41 am
  #15  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N/A
Programs: Go Fish
Posts: 5,335
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger View Post
I have been booked in Club. Checked in at T4 (this dates the issue). Upgraded by and escorted to the T4 CCR by SS. Collected by SS to walk to the plane and downgraded during same walk with an apology that a revenue issue came up
a revenue issue? What does that even mean?
nufnuf77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: