Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Recommended One World Carrier for London to PVG

Old Mar 1, 18, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

Hi

I am about to have my first trip to China and can travel business class so was wondering what the best carrier was to get to China. I am fine with BA but they are often the most expensive so I wondered how Cathay were as they are cheaper but require a stopover.

Any advice to a China newbie please?
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I would take Cathay if it's cheaper (as long as the timings are decent). Much better J product and you will get extra TPs from the connection too.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
Have a look at Finnair via HEL on an A320 and many of their routes on the new A350. It will be good for some extra tier points over going BA direct.

The only downside is the reduced Avios you'll earn on a non-BA flight, which in business and being Gold will be significant.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:44 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I did it last year on Finnair (AY). Very comfortable business class on the A350 to PVG, from LHR via HEL and the 440 TP’s for 1300, wasn’t to be sniffed at. Keep your eyes out for sales - AY often have sales to the Far East that are pretty good value....

Last edited by Jet Ranger; Mar 1, 18 at 12:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL; IHG Spire; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*; Starbucks Gold!
I would take Cathay business class at whatever price if I wasn't paying. Better LHR lounge, better hard product, better soft product, excellent lounges in HKG and more TP's.

A better question would be "how much more should I be willing to pay for CX over BA?" I'd say about 400...
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QR also fly LHR-DOH-PVG
2:25 transit in DOH on the way out for the random day I looked at. 1:35 transit on the return
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:53 pm

Cathay all the way, even if significantly more expensive. Oneworld ranking on this route for me is 1) CX, 2) QR, 3) AY and 4) BA
rossmacd and 710 77345 like this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
At CX = GBP 2,000, BA = GBP 3,000+ I would take CX for the price advantage

At CX = GBP 2,000, BA = GBP 2,500 I would take BA for the direct flight

At CX = GBP 2,000, BA = GBP 2,000 I would take BA for the direct flight
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you want tier points and a cheap fare you may be able to get an ex Germany via Doha and Colombo on Sri Lankan.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:57 pm

Take it. I’ve never been able to get CX cheaper even with the connection... and this without negotiated agreements.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:58 pm

Do you prefer hopping over someone/have someone hop over you in CW or having direct aisle access in a herringbone layout?

Also, HKG has amazing CX lounges, since you're BA Gold, you can try out the cabanas at the Wing F. That alone is worth a trip to the Wing. Don't think of the BA CCR Cabanas.
Old Mar 1, 18, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
I would take Cathay business class at whatever price if I wasn't paying. Better LHR lounge, better hard product, better soft product, excellent lounges in HKG and more TP's.

A better question would be "how much more should I be willing to pay for CX over BA?" I'd say about 400...
Also better timings than BA for jet lag. Find that BA flight tough for jet lag.
NYLON Boy likes this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
My personal view:

Cathay
+ my preferred airline for this region, HKG very convenient, often good prices, good timings for longhaul flight
- the last leg HKG-PVG can be horrible due to China mainland delays, especially if you get a Cathay Dragon flight the standard can be well below Cathay mainline (bus boarding, A320 instead of A330, etc.)

BA
+ direct flight
- price can be high, fewer TPs, bad timing for longhaul flight

AY
+ often cheap, best connection with a longhaul into PVG, after upgrading fleet now very nice onboard product
- not as much redundancy if things go pear shaped (small fleet)

Last edited by EuropeToAsia; Mar 1, 18 at 1:55 pm Reason: update
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Also better timings than BA for jet lag. Find that BA flight tough for jet lag.
The BA169 is a tough one but I cannot find a HKG connecting option that would be gentler jetlag wise
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
Cathay my choice .
Good product and great lounges in HK

Search this Thread
Search Engine: