Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:09 pm

Thanks for both your help. I'll be tight and see how good my negotiating skills are in the lounge.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Apologies for this one as I’m sure the information is there somewhere either here or on the AA forum, but having looked through various threads I can’t seem to get my head around it.

As a BA Bronze/One World Ruby booking an AA TATL on an Economy Basic Fare, booking under the BA codeshare on BA.com, what is my checked baggage allowance?
I was wondering if people have any practical experience with HBO AA flights booked as BA codeshares (for BA elites). This thread implies the baggage allowance is zero as the marketing carrier is BA.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by mec72
I was wondering if people have any practical experience with HBO AA flights booked as BA codeshares (for BA elites). This thread implies the baggage allowance is zero as the marketing carrier is BA.
From experience, if you have a BA leg before an AA longhaul segment BA refuse to check in for free...even if it’s AA ticket stock
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DreamTrip

From experience, if you have a BA leg before an AA longhaul segment BA refuse to check in for free...even if it’s AA ticket stock
What about the other way round? For example AA shorthaul connecting to BA transatlantic on AA code?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does anyone find the Economy Basic (HBO only) v Economy Standard 'benefits' slightly misleading for Long Haul flights?

The Basic states: 'Hand Baggage Only. Last to board.' Fair enough.

The Standard states: '30-31 inch legroom, 1x 23kg bag, food & bar service.' But you'd get the first and last of these irrespective of which fare you bought anyway?

It implies that the basic fare doesn't guarantee the same legroom (I can't really envisage a scenario where it wouldn't) and that you wouldn't get any food or bar service, again which is completely wrong. Think for those less informed about flying in Y with BA, this is actually pretty sly as you could easily make the assumption the basic fare doesn't include what the standard fare does when in reality, the difference is a bag and a lower boarding priority.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by englisha
What about the other way round? For example AA shorthaul connecting to BA transatlantic on AA code?
AA checked in the bag for free on the return to Europe ^

And for anyone trying to negotiate their rights at an outstation like GOT, good luck..it was like talking to an alien hired by Menzies... I had to pay the 500SEK and get över it
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mec72
Sorry can’t help with practical experience (for the flight I was asking about above I got a very good BA holidays deal in the end so wasn’t an issue), however you understanding of the rules is correct (See: https://www.britishairways.com/asset...e-guide_en.pdf). I would suspect if your first flight in any sequence is BA code AA metal then you have a reasonable chance of the check-in agent applying the AA rules in practice. However I would personally be prepared to pay at the desk without complaint or take a bag which can be taken HBO in case the stated rules are applied.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by DreamTrip

AA checked in the bag for free on the return to Europe ^

And for anyone trying to negotiate their rights at an outstation like GOT, good luck..it was like talking to an alien hired by Menzies... I had to pay the 500SEK and get över it
Haven’t seen this covered anywhere in the rules. I assume you are talking about AA code BA operates short haul flight first and then AA marketed and operated on the long haul. I would be tempted to ask for a refund of the bag fee as the rules should follow the long haul segment?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal

Haven’t seen this covered anywhere in the rules. I assume you are talking about AA code BA operates short haul flight first and then AA marketed and operated on the long haul. I would be tempted to ask for a refund of the bag fee as the rules should follow the long haul segment?
The short haul BA leg had AA code, I reached out to the BA Twitter team but no luck their either. I gave up after that.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Can anyone verify as OWE status customer with IB or AY that they've still been able to get one free piece of luggage checked in with BA, flying on a HBO fare, booking class O(scar), for shorthaul travel in ET?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Can anyone verify as OWE status customer with IB or AY that they've still been able to get one free piece of luggage checked in with BA, flying on a HBO fare, booking class O(scar), for shorthaul travel in ET?
on short haul basic fares owe’s get no free checked baggage allowance - this has been the case since basic/hbo fares were brought in on short haul.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Sorry, indeed, I was thinking also about LH, but you replied before I got to edit. So reiterating myself: any experiences of the baggage perk on longhaul HBO with BA as IB or AY status pax (OWE)?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Sorry, indeed, I was thinking also about LH, but you replied before I got to edit. So reiterating myself: any experiences of the baggage perk on longhaul HBO with BA as IB or AY status pax (OWE)?
For a ba marketed and operated flight the table in post 150 suggest you get no checked baggage allowance as a owe.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:29 pm

On a HBO long haul fare, will you get the extra bag allowance as a silver (2x32kg) when you purchase/add one bag (23kg)?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm super confused by these HBO fares with all the codeshare rules layered in...

I've got an outbound AA JFK-MIA connecting to BA MIA-LHR (Basic).
On the inbound, I have BA GLA-LHR (not Basic, S class) connecting to BA LHR-JFK (Basic, O class).
All on BA codes on one PNR. I'm BA Gold as well.

Am I likely to be charged baggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.