Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by ianwall
It looks like the original documentation has been updated and BA has went all out to remove any options that include a bag....

Where did you find this table?

This just shows how effin' chaotic this whole ordeal is!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
little difference for status pax?

Just been offered the econ basic fare for a JNB turn, and trying to get my head around the differences (except for the Ł60 difference which is very easy to get my head around).

For a silver, who doesn't travel with checked bags anyway, am I right in thinking that there is effectively no difference between basic and standard econ? I still get seat selection, fast track, lounge access, priority boarding and a pittance of avios/TPs?

Thanks for any input/advice/guidance.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
For a silver, who doesn't travel with checked bags anyway, am I right in thinking that there is effectively no difference between basic and standard econ? I still get seat selection, fast track, lounge access, priority boarding and a pittance of avios/TPs?
Yes correct, though it may knock your Group from 2 to 3 (not sure if that is an error or not, but I've seen complaints about it). The only oddity is that if you AUP it may cost more than a conventional WT ticket, which is understandable enough. And your chance of an OpUp will presumably reduce since the cost of the ticket is one of multiple factors that go into the sausage machine.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I bought a ticket when these fares were first released for Christmas and booked a BA operated flight under the AA code deliberately as at that time it was announced that in this case I would have baggage included. I tried calling BA but was told that baggage has never been included in these fares. Is this just a case of tough luck and pay for the bags or is it worth complaining (and if so, to who?)
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
[DELETED]
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by englisha
I bought a ticket when these fares were first released for Christmas and booked a BA operated flight under the AA code deliberately as at that time it was announced that in this case I would have baggage included. I tried calling BA but was told that baggage has never been included in these fares. Is this just a case of tough luck and pay for the bags or is it worth complaining (and if so, to who?)
Apart from some speculation on Flyertalk about this, I can't recall any official advice along these lines. If you have some print-out to say this, then all well and good. If not, I suspect your best approach is to ring AA and get them to put you on to AA metal instead.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Apart from some speculation on Flyertalk about this, I can't recall any official advice along these lines. If you have some print-out to say this, then all well and good. If not, I suspect your best approach is to ring AA and get them to put you on to AA metal instead.
I have a recollection that an internal AA document was published either on the AA board or a blog saying it is marketing carrier rules that count for baggage.

However when I was looking at buying one of these fares earlier in the year I couldn’t find it again anywhere. So it was probably either taken down or I imagined it all along. Either way it definitely wasn’t officially released.

In the end I managed to get pretty much my target price also with car hire and luggage booking AA under BA codes through BA Holidays, but that is obviously no help to the poster above. I suppose only helpful thing to say is if starting in London BA will let you check your hand luggage if you wish if the issue is taking liquids through rather than size/weight.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pennineuk
You can see the detailed rules on page 5 of the document on the Travel Trade website
I see this link which was posted after the initial announcement has now been updated with the new information. It links directly to the BA website.

The original text can still be found here : https://loyaltylobby.com/wp-content/...e-guide_en.pdf
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by englisha
I see this link which was posted after the initial announcement has now been updated with the new information. It links directly to the BA website.

The original text can still be found here : https://loyaltylobby.com/wp-content/...e-guide_en.pdf
OK, so you have indeed 2 copies of the same file, which is a standard guidance given to the travel trade by the JB airlines. The one which is helpful to you is dated 1 March 2018 and the internal PDF date is 2 March 2018 - this sits on the loyaltylobby website, but you better download your own copy. The second file on BA's website is not dated on page 1 for some reason, but has an internal PDF date of 7 June 2018. If you bought your ticket in between these two dates then I guess you have a chance of not paying fees on BA - you could try showing this at check-in, but more likely you will have to pay the fees and then claim them back from BA first, AA next, after the event. This could be painful but with those documents to hand you may have a chance. If you were ticketed after 7 June 2018 I suspect it won't work.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
So what happens if you have combination of flights operated by two different carries? For example LHR-SFO on BA and then SFO-LAX on AA. Which baggage allowance for BA status holder takes precedence? I know, I would get random seat on AA and could choose one on BA, but baggage is not something you can take on only one flight but not other.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
I know that AA basic eco books into B class but what booking class does a BA segment book into? I have tried to simulate a booking by choosing Economy basic GOT-LHR-MIA all BA legs and short haul segments book into S and long haul into O class. Funny enough if I choose economy standard I get the same booking classes. Does that mean I can still check a bag with eco basic?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:39 am

AA and BA take different approaches here. On BA it is controlled by fare basis, not booking class. So you can't look at a fare bucket and decide it is HBO or not. AA does indeed reserve B for this purpose.
DreamTrip likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:47 am

Sorry for question but I can't work out whether a oneworld Emerald would be able to select seats free of charge on an AA segment booked as Basic?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by edonthebeach
Sorry for question but I can't work out whether a oneworld Emerald would be able to select seats free of charge on an AA segment booked as Basic?
No I don’t think so. See: https://www.britishairways.com/asset...e-guide_en.pdf page 5.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by edonthebeach

No, buuuut If you are super nice to the AA lounge agent they might change your seat for free. I got MCE bulkhead on the 77W instead of a middle seat in the back allocated by the computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.