Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AF/KLM announced they'd be doing this ages ago. C'mon Willie...you're not as sharp as you used to be.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by pennineuk
From what I can understand in the detailed rules, no bags for BAEC elites, but yes for AA, AY and IB elites. Free seat selection does apply, as does premium check-in, fast-track security, lounge access and priority boarding. So the unbundling is really only about the checked luggage if you are a BAEC elite, and checked luggage and seat selection if not.
Actually, whilst the detailed rules on p5 indeed seem to suggest that it is the frequent flyer programme that determine this, the Q&A on p.7 suggests, instead, and whilst referring to the same table, that it varies by marketing career rather than FFP. My personal guess is that it is probably the Q&A version which is correct, ie that BA will not offer a free bag to elites from any OW FFP (BAEC or otherwise) and that the other airlines will still give us the additional elite bags regardless of FFP (BAEC included).
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:39 am

That's the same as VS/DL's arrangement orbitmic.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
As someone who never usually checks in a bag anyway the most important factor for me is how many miles these fares will earn. I wonder if BA will now change the earnings chart for these low fares.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
AF/KLM announced they'd be doing this ages ago. C'mon Willie...you're not as sharp as you used to be.
true. But you still get a free luggage as an elite member which comes in very handy with AF/KL HBO fares. The additional luggage perk is almost only useful with HBO fares. I guess when thinking about my travels (120+ segements a year), I only take a second luggage in less than 1% of flights. It really feels awful having a perk and not being able to use it as BA is doing time and time again.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by headingwest
As someone who never usually checks in a bag anyway the most important factor for me is how many miles these fares will earn. I wonder if BA will now change the earnings chart for these low fares.
That document seems pretty clear that there is no difference in mileage or TP earning between Basic and Standard fares, which I think is the same position as for short-haul Basic fares.
headingwest likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, whilst the detailed rules on p5 indeed seem to suggest that it is the frequent flyer programme that determine this, the Q&A on p.7 suggests, instead, and whilst referring to the same table, that it varies by marketing career rather than FFP. My personal guess is that it is probably the Q&A version which is correct, ie that BA will not offer a free bag to elites from any OW FFP (BAEC or otherwise) and that the other airlines will still give us the additional elite bags regardless of FFP (BAEC included).
If it varies by marketing carrier and not FFP or operating carrier, doesn't that mean I could buy a BA-operated, AA-marketed flight and use my BA status to bring luggage, whilst I could buy an AA-operated, BA-marketed flight and be refused?!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
The document above indicates there is no change to earning on BAEC from the current 25% base miles. It also indicated that the status additional earning is protected on base miles.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by frb98mf
If it varies by marketing carrier and not FFP or operating carrier, doesn't that mean I could buy a BA-operated, AA-marketed flight and use my BA status to bring luggage, whilst I could buy an AA-operated, BA-marketed flight and be refused?!
Good point, you are right, that sounds strange too. In fact, operating career would seem to be what would make most sense yet is the only permutation that they do not mention in the document!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SonTech
More likely worried about Norwegian than BA??
Definitely a classic jab at BA...the Dick vs Willie fight continues Richard I mean...oops!!!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I thought it's always the operating carrier that decides luggage allowances though?
Originally Posted by frb98mf
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Good point, you are right, that sounds strange too. In fact, operating career would seem to be what would make most sense yet is the only permutation that they do not mention in the document!
US DOT Regulation 399.87 (First Marketing Carrier rule) applies to checked baggage allowances on all itineraries that start or end in the US (Canada has a rule that is essentially the same). I assume this is why all the mentions are of marketing carrier rather than operating carrier (IATA resolution 302, aka Most Significant Carrier rule, which applies to non-North American flights, is also now based on marketing carrier rather than operating carrier). I don't know if those regulations would compel the airline to honour frequent flyer additional allowances, or if they only extend to the base allowance for the marketing carrier.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by volar
Basic fare customers (except those with status) will be in the final boarding group which means that those likely to bring the most onboard will be presented with the least available space in which to store it.
Originally Posted by pennineuk
No, as boarding will be in the final group.
Boarding groups? Those things BA claim to enforce but rarely do?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
"award-winning loyalty programme"

But you will still get a middle seat and sit on your hand luggage, even if you have GGL and Concorde room access...

Bhuahahaha.

Race to the bottom indeed.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by flyuk
"award-winning loyalty programme"

But you will still get a middle seat and sit on your hand luggage, even if you have GGL and Concorde room access...

Bhuahahaha.

Race to the bottom indeed.
No you won't because you will still get free seat selection and can board first.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles

No you won't because you will still get free seat selection and can board first.
Really? I thought HBO didn't get seat selection...

My bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.