Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
The race to the bottom starts because the passengers do not wish to pay more. If Norwegian is £2 cheaper, they will go with Norwegian. For BA to compete they need to have the same headline fare as Norwegian. The same happened on short haul before as well.
And longer term BA will now be able to offer the same headline fares as the likes of Norwegian (which various posters keep pointing out is currently loss making) despite a materially higher cost base, because....?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aidy
So the race to the bottom has started again, Not surprising that they are very cheap on the HBO front if elites from the other airlines are allowed to get free baggage but not BA
But then elites from other airlines are allowed domestic lounge access in America but not AA elites...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Because many people (although probably not the inhabitants of Flyertalk-land) see the difference in hotels (rooms, location, amenities) but think an economy airline seat is pretty much the same across airlines.
True. And an astonishing indictment of the industry.
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by TabTraveller

They stay in youth hostels, I stay in the four seasons. You don't get much more unbundled than sharing a room with a bunch of strangers... what you don't have is the FS offering youth hostels but then that's because running a bricks and mortar operation isn't the same as running an airline.
Completely agree, these are the people roughing it at the airports and stations, crashing at their 'acquaintances', and staying in youth hostels.
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by aidy
So the race to the bottom has started again, Not surprising that they are very cheap on the HBO front if elites from the other airlines are allowed to get free baggage but not BA
On the current “Basic” fares, Oneworld elites do NOT get baggage. The BA basic fares are an exclusion in the Oneworld rules.

However the rules for these fares sound unusual if BA elites only are excluded.

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Sounds a similar set up to Jetstar who are the budget version of QF. They have the basic HBO only fare, a middle fare with 20kg of baggage and seat selection excluded front 10 rows and exit row and a premium with 30kg, food and free seat selection anywhere and the same rights as a fully flexible economy ticket.

Strange tactics for a premium airline but I'll see what the fares are before passing judgement. I assume there will also be better tier points depending on the fares you chose which could make things easier in that regard.

To be honest I'm fairly optimistic about this at present.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Completely agree, these are the people roughing it at the airports and stations, crashing at their 'acquaintances', and staying in youth hostels.
I miss those days!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Pack
I miss those days!
I still have the nightmares
Pack likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sxc

On the current “Basic” fares, Oneworld elites do NOT get baggage. The BA basic fares are an exclusion in the Oneworld rules.

However the rules for these fares sound unusual if BA elites only are excluded.
You can see the detailed rules on page 5 of the document on the Travel Trade website
dawntreader380 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by pennineuk
You can see the detailed rules on page 5 of the document on the Travel Trade website
I think this is saying how frequent flyers will be treated on the airline they are flying. The airline is on the left. The frequent flyer is across the top.

So it’s saying if you are flying BA, no Oneworld elite will get any baggage. If you are flying AA you will get 3/2/1 bags depending on your Oneworld status.

So this is consistent with current rules - no bags for elites on BA basic fares. 1 bag guaranteed on all other airlines for Sapphire and above. Essentially if you have status you can NOT fly BA, get a cheaper fare and still get all your benefits. So this looks like a BA led initiative.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:20 am
Suspended

If Norwegian goes out of business, will these fares be quietly discontinued ?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by MitchR
I sometimes see ridiculously low fares on AA ($79 DFW - ORD when regular economy is $270) but I looked at a flight yesterday ORD to LAS and Basic was $259 vs $279. Can't imagine dealing with the restrictions to save $20 but at nearly $200 it is a bit attractive.
But the $20 really just gives you a pick of a seat (as an elite member) - there's not much difference to FTers on AA as you get baggage and boarding priority.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Does this mean that the overhead bins on on long-haul flights will now be full up halfway through boarding? And late boarders will have to sacrifice some leg-room and shove their bag under the seat in front?
We know from experience with LCCs that people will just bring extra bags into the cabin.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:51 am

Oh dear.

Let's hope all these changes don't persuade more people to fly CW or F - they are busy enough as it is!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sxc
I think this is saying how frequent flyers will be treated on the airline they are flying. The airline is on the left. The frequent flyer is across the top.

So it’s saying if you are flying BA, no Oneworld elite will get any baggage. If you are flying AA you will get 3/2/1 bags depending on your Oneworld status.
I agree that your conclusion seems much more logical, and would also cater for Emeralds, Sapphires and Rubies from other oneworld airlines - but that table (especially with the heading Frequent Flyer Membership where it is) is confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.