Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Having your cake and eating it (wheelchair passengers)

Having your cake and eating it (wheelchair passengers)

Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
AA flights out of Miami and Orlando are nicknamed the "Miracle flights" because when those passengers land, many of the wheelchairs that are waiting are left unused.
kaka and msm2000uk like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Blue
As the husband of a full time wheelchair user I can confirm that we are always the last off.
On one occasion some 70 minutes after everyone else when our AA flight landed at LHR early and the gate wasn't available and buses were used.
Of course, we have to wait for her wheelchair to be (hopefully) brought to the cabin so there is no chance of any early disembarkment - even in CW.
We don't usually mind. We get the chance to talk to all the Crew and flying BA has always meant that has been a pleasant experience.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I'm confused. Why would someone want cake and then not eat it?
Yes I have wondered the same! This analogy has always confused me. Unless it is dry cake which is the biggest cake crime.

OP has had quite a bashing. Time for compassion all round now...

edited to add: mapleg has helpfully answered my cake conundrum
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Setting aside the hysterical comments this thread has induced what do the websites of some OneWorld airlines have to say on the matter?

Qatar Airways: Qatar Airways

includes the following wording - We'll be able to assist you in leaving the aircraft as soon as other passengers have disembarked ...

Finnair: https://www.finnair.com/gb/gb/inform...ity-assistance

includes the following wording - If you need help disembarking from the aircraft, this will happen after other passengers have left, so that we have more space and time to assist you.
Well you were travelling BA so not sure what relevance Qatar and Finnair are.

And as you said at the outset they didn't need assistance disembarking from the aircraft, just a few minutes longer.

Still, keep digging eh.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I'm confused. Why would someone want cake and then not eat it?
So you can eat it! If you don't have any cake, you can't eat it. If you've already eaten the cake, then you don't have any cake left to eat in the future. The saying means wanting to have things both ways, i.e. being able to eat the cake, but still have it available to eat in the future; which is a physically impossibility.

I believe the reference in this case is akin to a "miracle passenger" as so often seen on flights to Florida, where the passenger is so crippled they cannot walk and need wheelchair assistance to board, but are "cured" in flight and then can be the first off; elbow everyone else out of the way and briskly make their way unaided to arrive at baggage claim first.

I believe the OP's point, even if not phrased the way many would like, is that if you need special assistance to board, you should logically also need special assistance to disembark. Being first on through special assistance, and then not needing special assistance in order to be the nearly the first off feels like gaming the system.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
I am am one of those frequent 'Miracles' that msm2000uk describes. I go from needing all the assistance, hi-lift and all, to carrying my own bags and walking to passport control ( or vice-versa). I can't predict my needs in advance so I book everything.

The best I can do, is tell CC that I no longer need a wheelchair or if I meet the wheelchair on the airbridge tell them I no longer need it, in order to free up resources. Charging for no-shows is ludicrous IMO
I am another one. I have a prosthetic legs and I do not feel stable going up and down stairs in a crowd, so I book WCHS (Stairs) in case the plane is at a remote stand. I cannot have any knowledge of the gate when I book assistance. When we arrive at a gate rather than at a remote stand, I inform the CC that I do not need assistance. Also, sometimes the stump starts hurting for whatever reason and in those situations I need the wheelchair!

If you need assistance (not necessarily for reduced mobility) you are the first in and the last out. However, that also depends from the people that have to provide the specific assistance. Unfortunately the operation is run by the airport not by the airline so it can be quite dire and inconvenience everybody. I have been responsible for delayed boarding because the plane was at a remote stand and the ambulift was not coming. I had to ask a member of the cabin crew to help me down the stairs because it was the only way to leave an aircraft, etc. etc. etc.

As they say... "sorry the OP were inconvenienced" but excuse me if I have to add "tough".

I am aware the system is abused by many but trust me there is a large number of people with variable needs that have to book for the worst case scenario because the system gives you (quite rightly) very little flexibility.
Roger and HilFly like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by londonfog
the system gives you (quite rightly) very little flexibility.
Why "quite rightly"? Why shouldn't you be able to book the level of assistance you actually need, rather than a one size fits all solution?
HilFly likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
There are varying degrees of impaired mobility.

There are no hard and fast rules regarding passengers requesting wheelchairs, in fact airport staff are instructed to enquire what a wheelchair users exact needs are.

Some wheelchair users only need a wheelchair as they can't stand up for extended periods but can move about. Some wheelchair users can't move at all. Some can't climb stairs but can go downstairs. Etc etc.

This wheelchair user obviously had some mobility as he could get down the aisle and hobble up the airbridge.

Not all persons with reduced mobility need to be treated as completely immobile and treated like those that have no mobility.

It actually upsets some wheelchair users when airport staff assume they are completely immobile and put them in ambulift etc as not all wheelchair users need all the assistance available.
Roger, HilFly and lostinlondon like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The couple may have had A good reason to leave the aircraft before everyone else, They May have had a short connection and wanted a little more time to make it.
HilFly likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I believe the OP's point, even if not phrased the way many would like, is that if you need special assistance to board, you should logically also need special assistance to disembark. Being first on through special assistance, and then not needing special assistance in order to be the nearly the first off feels like gaming the system.
Not at all. Some of the walks to the gates in airports are long and therefore a wheelchair may be justified. However the traveller may be able to exit the aircraft to the jetty unaided in arrival.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me, even if it took 3 mins out of the OP's busy life.
Roger and lostinlondon like this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:17 am

Having travelled a bit with someone needing wheelchair assistance, I cannot imagine why anyone would choose that option at either end of the journey if they didn't really need it.

It really isn't as simple as just jumping into a wheelchair at the last minute to be able to board first; there's a lot of waiting and faffing prior to that, usually at a considerable cost of lounge time and general relaxation.

So, I'd say cut folk a bit of slack. There are several examples here of why seemingly underserving cases are anything but. Not everything is as straightforward as it might seem to an able bodied observer.
Roger likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Whether or not a passenger needs a wheelchair and should or should not wait for a wheelchair isn’t something that I would care to determine based on casual observance of a wheelchair-user/non-wheelchair-user.
This.

I recently had a herniated lumbar disc while traveling overseas. I could quite easily stand up and get (very light) luggage from the overhead compartment. But walking more than 100 yards, or standing for extended periods, would have been out of the question. Even now, the pain comes and goes--so I might book a wheelchair, but then decide that I will try going without one. I do enjoy that the wheelchair can get me past immigration and border control without standing in line. But I will enjoy even more being well enough that I can actually stand in line again...

I would draw the line at a passenger who requests a wheelchair sitting in an emergency exit row, though.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
> I do enjoy that the wheelchair can get me past immigration and border control without standing in line. <
I expect some people might abuse the system for this "perk".
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
It's not always visible or obvious. [Snip]
Not sure why you quoted me ...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

If that’s a reference to me please see the opening sentence of post #1.

I have an extremely close uncle who has been wheelchair bound for the past 13 years, following a stroke - I fully understand the issues surrounding disabled people.

The purpose of my original post was to query the system, not the individual.
I don't mean to sound like i'm sticking the boot in, but I'd strongly encourage you to use the term 'wheelchair user'. Most disabled people don't like to be defined by their wheelchair. Crew can be terrible for this, often referring to a passenger as 'the wheelchair'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.