Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA returns to Pakistan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:07 pm
Lux

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m pleased that this has been announced, I have been sitting on this for a while.
A long while I expect!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, definitely a 787-8 (or so it says on my MMB!).
Get your visa application in now and you might get it back in time for the inaugural flight.

I had a scare at the pricing this morning but it seems to have settled down; economy prices are in line with ME3 carriers but with the usual less flexible terms on BA. I should be a prime user but I'll probably stick with EK as it offers at least a daily service. I wish the service well, it's a beautiful country that deserves to see a boost in tourism alongside the VFR passengers.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Good news for UK, Malaysian, UAE, Turkish and Chinese passport holders. The PM of Pakistan announced a few days ago that they have liberalised the visa régime and it's now an online e-visa system. In the case of UK citizens it has also more than halved the fee to USD60 for a single entry tourist visa. More countries will be added to the system "soon". Previously visas for Pakistan involved considerably more paperwork and a personal application via a visa clearing agency in several parts of the UK, or the Glasgow Consulate. Hat tip: Mo.

https://visa.nadra.gov.pk/
dcmike, shefgab and IAMORGAN like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Is the inaugural flight today - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48488923

M
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Last flew this route on a PIA 747 back in 1986
Its a fantastic destination heading north into the Himalayas
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Very good to see this link returning.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For launch day there is a cake and peppermint tea in Zone F, by the dinosaur, landside, from 16:00 hrs (or is it peppermint cake and tea?). The flight is fairly full down the back, less so towards the front.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:44 am

For launch day there is a cake and peppermint tea in Zone F, by the dinosaur, landside, from 16:00 hrs (or is it peppermint cake and tea?). The flight is fairly full down the back, less so towards the front.
Is G-ZBJG operating the inaugural flight?

Edit: Someone on Twitter said it would be ZBJA after its arrival from DUR.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:49 am

Are you doing a trip report, c-w-s? Or just passing through LHR anyhow?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:38 am

Yes, I will put some notes up, just arrived in London from the northern tundras.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:38 am

They are making a bit of a fuss about this, I guess it helps that some BA staff have family ties to Pakistan.

This is the cake, which was in Zone F, dedicated to today's ISB flight. The top scene is the Faisal Masjid (mosque), an unmissable sight in Islamabad, the lower scene is taken from the nearby Margalla Hills, the early foothills to the Himalayas. And here was the cake cutting ceremony - there was a crowd for this too.

Zone F was decorated for the event and Idaho duly worded up:

And here is a cake closeup for those who need to know. [HAL Security First Wing peering at cake on tray; "Is that because of the football?"]

Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Is G-ZBJG operating the inaugural flight?

Edit: Someone on Twitter said it would be ZBJA after its arrival from DUR.
It is indeed ZBJA.
murtaza12 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:46 pm
QR1

Programs: Emirates & BA
It is indeed ZBJA.
thanks CWS - keen to hear about your trip and especially services landing at and departing from ISB. We are on this flight later in the year with family and would be good to know how BA level up and or if the provide special services on the ground. Thanks again
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:05 am

Yes they were genuinely pleased to see BA back in Pakistan, the entire airport was rigged out in banners and balloons marking BA's return after 11 years of absence. This was at the end of the airbridge:

Then we had 4 ministers to greet us at the airport and give us roses, before proceeding to passport control.

And this was one of the bigger banners in baggage reclaim.

Originally Posted by QR1
thanks CWS - keen to hear about your trip and especially services landing at and departing from ISB. We are on this flight later in the year with family and would be good to know how BA level up and or if the provide special services on the ground. Thanks again
I don't think today's rose-garlanded experience is going to be typical, and I'm not sure what any special services could have added. It's a very modern, compact airport, and I was in the Marriott's shuttle to the hotel within 15 minutes of arrival despite all of the above. It was easier, faster and less stressful than say AMS or FRA, for example. The passport area is right by the arrival airbridges, left for Pakistani passport holder, right for foreign passports, and far right for e-visas and visa on arrival. I had an e-visa so I had to go there first to get the all important tick on the printout, then back to foreign passports for the usual scan. But it didn't take more than a minute or two, downstairs the escalators to baggage reclaim, and the final photo above is at the carousels looking to the airport exit / meet and greet area.

Edited to add, this is on the Dawn newspaper's website:
https://www.dawn.com/news/1486284
Minister for Aviation Ghulam Sarwar Khan, Adviser to Prime Minister on Commerce Abdul Razak Dawood, Special Assistant on Overseas Pakistanis Zulfi Bukhari and senior officials of the Aviation Division and British High Commission welcomed the passengers at the airport.
The report said there were 600 police officers in attendance.

From the BA Media centre:
Monday, June 3, 2019 - British Airways today landed in to Islamabad as it began its first service between the UK and Pakistan in 10 years.

Crowds greeted the aircraft in Islamabad as both the Union Flag and Pakistan’s national flag were waved from the cockpit roof hatch. British Airways has officially opened an office in Islamabad for the airline’s local dedicated team, which is testament to the investment the airline is making in the country.

On board the first flight from London was Andrew Brem, Chief Commercial Officer at British Airways, he said: “Today is a great occasion for British Airways as we resume flights to Islamabad after a decade. The atmosphere on board our state-of-the-art 787 aircraft was spectacular, as was the warm welcome on the ground. British Airways has a proud history of flying to Pakistan – we first operated flights to Islamabad in 1976 – and we couldn’t be more excited to be back.”

The International Trade Secretary, Dr Liam Fox MP, said: “The relaunch of British Airways flights between the UK and Pakistan after more than ten years will be a major boost for trade between our two countries. It is no surprise that it is an iconic British airline that is the first western airline to fly return to Pakistan, a symbol of the strong and growing relationship between our two countries.

“I congratulate the British Airways team, the British High Commission and the impressive efforts of the Pakistani government for making this happen. We are confident that British Airways will act as a catalyst to bring even more British companies to one of the world’s largest markets.”

Flights will run three-per-week on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday from London Heathrow, operated using a three-class Boeing 787 Dreamliner with World Traveller (long-haul economy), World Traveller Plus (long-haul premium economy) and Club World (long-haul business class).

Customers travelling can expect bespoke services to enhance the onboard experience including a halal meal option in every cabin, while the airline will also ensure sauces in every meal do not include alcohol or pork. As with any British Airways flight, customers can also pre-order a range of special meal options including vegetarian and vegan options.

The airline has a number of Pakistani and British Pakistani colleagues who speak Urdu, and there has already been considerable interest from these colleagues to work on the flights.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 3, 2019 at 3:03 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add ISB to the BA Do list?
1A or No Way likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.