Olympic travel

Old Feb 25, 18, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Olympic travel

I think a free upgrade to J would have been nice...​​​
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I think all the fat sponsors, and managers etc are up in CW. And unofficial officials up in F. No more room.
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:25 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think most Olympians are just grateful to be able to travel and see places they wouldn't normally be able to see themselves.

They aren't demanding business people being reimbursed for their expenses.
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Doesn’t advertise the 787 in Y well when it looks like 3 young, fit Olympians barely fit in the seat.

S
Old Feb 25, 18, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Looks like a staged photo op rather than seat allocations to me.

BA isn’t in Delta territory!
Cymro and shefgab like this.
Old Feb 25, 18, 9:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titatnium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74 View Post
Doesn’t advertise the 787 in Y well when it looks like 3 young, fit Olympians barely fit in the seat.

S
The fact that they put them in the exit row (which makes sense to give the photographer room) doesn't help with the impression of the seat width.
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
I think most Olympians are just grateful to be able to travel and see places they wouldn't normally be able to see themselves.

They aren't demanding business people being reimbursed for their expenses.
Exactly why I think they deserve good treatment. Some are only at the Olympics thanks to crowdfunding. Not all sports are as glamorous (read lucrative) as ice skating or snowboarding...

This might have been staged, admittedly, but it could have been done so much better.
Old Feb 25, 18, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Surprised BA did not make their usual video montage that plays on our emotions in the hopes we will fly with them in the future for all the good deeds BA has done to those in their videos ?
Old Feb 26, 18, 2:04 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I think it would have been more difficult to get a good shot of them in CW, or even in WTP.
Old Feb 26, 18, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I think it would have been more difficult to get a good shot of them in CW, or even in WTP.
Agreed. This says nothing about where they were placed for the actual flight. (Could equally have been three middle seats even further back, of course!)

For the last Summer Olympics, medal winners got placed in the front - but there were more medal winners than F (and maybe even J) seats.
Old Feb 26, 18, 2:27 am
Original Poster

They're being pulled apart a bit in the comments...
Old Feb 26, 18, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Given the bunting and lack of other passengers, I assume this is a photo op. I personally think it looks quite nice. I think, however, this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I'm sure they'd also be getting a lot of flak if the photo was taken in First.... #cantwin (so to speak... well done on the medals!)
Old Feb 26, 18, 3:12 am
Original Poster

My original post was a bit tongue in cheek to be honest... just looks a bit "Ryanair" to put them down the back with some bunting and a little flag.
Old Feb 26, 18, 4:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I saw a set of about 20 trolleys loaded with skiing gear (many skis, various sorts of poles, etc) labelled "GB" in the checkin area of T5 on Sunday morning, I wondered whether this might have been related to the Olympics.

Meanwhile, the WT exit row is ideal for a photo-op like that. Plenty of room and the subjects can sit close together for a better-composed photograph. Think about it: would you ordinarily stand as close to people as you do for a group photo, over a longer period, if there was room to move about? Probably not. Similarly you wouldn't want to sit in that seat with so little space for long.

Unfortunately, many people do have to do so, even Olympic athletes.

And yes, if this was in Club, they'd get stick for that too - many people love to be judgemental on others for the sake of having someone to look down on. So smart move all round to do it in WT.
Old Feb 26, 18, 6:02 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
I like the pic!
Athletes' travel is a tough thing. I have assisted a number of disabled athletes competing for team GB (in a shooting discipline) with plane tickets to get to overseas events. They don't get any gov't funding as their discipline is not yet on the paralympic roster, so it is all self funded. We tried contacting BA to see if they'd like a photo op (seeking a bit of publicity for the cause) of a bunch of people in teamGB outfits heading out on BA to compete for their country - thought it would make a good paragraph in the in-flight mag. Nothing back from BA.
But the people on the GGL line who helped me sort out the tickets were awesome, and could not have been more helpful - to the extent that some of them were offering to help fundraise, sponsor something, etc. Heartening, but it reinforces my view that BA is a tough company sometimes, staffed by some very good people.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: