Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olympic travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
What about the competitors who have broken their legs?
Surely they deserve an exit row seat
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:37 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichP
Heartening, but it reinforces my view that BA is a tough company sometimes, staffed by some very good people.
To be fair to BA, they must get hundreds of requests for sponsorship or support (even if you were just offering a publicity shot, it will probably be assumed that something will be requested in return) Every requestor will feel that they are extra deserving for whatever reason. Surely your bigger issue should be why your Team GB athletes are not properly funded?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
@gms: the message from us stated very clearly that we were not seeking any funding, but yes, I expect they do get a lot of such requests. A polite no would have been nicer than just no answer. Still...
In terms of "proper funding", or the absence thereof, that's a whole other discussion. I guess the short version is that the system across all sports is already very complicated and there isn't that much money to go around. A bunch of people fighting to get their sport recognised for inclusion in the paralympics (the process for recognition requires a series of international events to be staged to see how it might all work) will be at the bottom of the list. My understanding is that some able-bodied GB athletes in the same sport are having to crowd-fund their attendance at the commonwealth games!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA has been a long term sponsor of 'Team GB' AKA the British Olympic Association which covers transport to/from Olympic events (remember the plane with the Gold nose cone)

It may also extend to arrangements with individual sporting associations for other competitions that are not part of the Olympics such as various championships and cup circuits. It could include free flights or extra free bag allowance and booking flexibility. Those individual sports associations (and possibly individual athletes) agreements would be negotiated separately and it would very much be on what can BA get out of it publicity wise so not everyone can be sponsored.

I have just seen the arrival on the news - plenty of BA staff pushing loaded luggage trolleys and will be in the background of lots of media photos so BA will obviously regard that a money well spent.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I think all the fat sponsors, and managers etc are up in CW. And unofficial officials up in F. No more room.
Except it's a 788 that flies on that route, so no F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.