Search

AMS: BA Gate to Train time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
AMS: BA Gate to Train time

Hi,

So I will be landing in AMS with BA for the first time on BA438, scheduled arrival at 3.10pm.
I would like to get on a train at 3.35pm.

I will have no luggage, I can run pretty fast and have European passport so immigration should be quick through the automated gates.

I have already done an exit in AMS from plane to train in about 15/20 minutes but it was with DL and in the morning.

I am seated first row of Y (I think row 7 on my fligh?) so should be able to get out of the plane fast.
So how far away are usually the BA gates from the train station? And how busy would AMS be around 3.10pm?

Worst case there is another train 1 hour later, but I would really really like to catch this one to be on time for a dinner.

Last edited by Mict; Feb 23, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Pier D, IME the gates furthest from where you want to be Gate 28 was my most recent experience, if you arrive promptly I think you may have a chance but you will need your running shoes ! Best of luck
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:57 pm

If the flight is on time, you should make it. The thing that may trip you up is the queues for the ticket machines, since there are just not enough of them! I would suggest buying a ticket online beforehand.
adrianlondon and chuckstar like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by chuckstar
Pier D, IME the gates furthest from where you want to be Gate 28 was my most recent experience, if you arrive promptly I think you may have a chance but you will need your running shoes ! Best of luck
Agree with the post above...

You need a bit of luck.
1. On time arrival of the flight and people in front of you (if any) hurry up off the plane.
2. Long walk from the gate to immigration regardless, but can be done in 5 minutes when you speed up.
3. Never knew there were automated gates at arrival immigration. There could be a wait even for EU arrivals
4. Have an OV chipcard for the train with ample balance, I assume you have one if you come to Holland regularly. If not then buying a ticket will eat up more time.

Globalist
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I have done AMS three times in the last couple of months. On two occasions your timescales would have been met but on the third there was a long queue at immigration with only two desks open. When the queue went right back to the door at the rear of the hall they finally opened up the auto gates. It took about 15 mins just for immigration on that occasion. With a fair wind you’ll make it but with a hiccup at immigration or a slightly delayed flight it’s probably too tight.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You're probably ok with this unless you have bad luck. BA almost always uses the fathest D gates in the D26 to
D31 range. Maybe 5 minutes stiff walk from there to the Immigration. Queues at the D gates immigration point are usually light mid afternoon, but typically only 2 officers so it doesn't take a lot of people to clog it for 10 minutes.
Automated gates exist at AMS but are often not on at quiet times
There are far more ticket machines outside on the
Plaza than inside the baggage area so if the ones inside are busy or broken, go outside into the plaza.
If you have a Privium card the chances of success increase to "near certain".
Of course the inability of Schiphol to operate timely air service in other than fine weather can scupper this plan. Any strong wind, fog, ice, snow, heavy rain, etc, and you are likely to be delayed. I would never rely strongly on an on time arrival to AMS.

(I pass through AMS about 40 times a year)

Last edited by flatlander; Feb 24, 2018 at 2:11 am
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
No-one has mentioned the 'polderbaan effect' yet....
Your taxi to the gate may be almost as long as the flight. This seems to be included in the scheduled timing to some point but still....

Apart from that: I have never disembarked at a gate closer than D26, so the walk is considerable. Without checked luggage its probably doable (with luggage you have no chance at all, AMS must have the worst luggage handling of any airport I know). The remarks about train tickets above are to the point: best is to have an OV chip card (with at least €20 balance on it, otherwise NS wont accept it).
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
No-one has mentioned the 'polderbaan effect' yet....
Your taxi to the gate may be almost as long as the flight. This seems to be included in the scheduled timing to some point but still....
I was going to mention it.

Personally I would say 9 times out of 10 you won’t make it, so much can affect it. Delays at Heathrow, polderbaan arrival, queues at passport control and I think AMS is far too busy to run through.

if it was me I wouldn’t bother trying those timescales but YMMV
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
BA do pad out their schedules to take account of some of the things that can delay a flight like landing at that runway that takes half as long as the flight to taxi to. After what felt like a 15 min taxi to the gate we were still a few mins ahead of schedule but that was blown when it took a further 10 to get someone to operate the jetbridge.

As mentioned above if you can get an OV chipcard and make sure you have the minimum €20 loaded that will save time. Not sure if there is an app that tells you what platform the train is due on but that would help too.

Good luck and remember to tell us if you make it or not!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by dddc
Not sure if there is an app that tells you what platform the train is due on but that would help too.
NS.nl website tells you the platform numbers. But with the reliability of NS being dubious at best, these are subject to change at last minute.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
If it’s a prepaid train ticket I would bin the idea, have done Ams even the evening 10pm dapertures take a good 20 mins to get through as it’s usually gates D26-29.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by manymany

I was going to mention it.

Personally I would say 9 times out of 10 you won’t make it, so much can affect it. Delays at Heathrow, polderbaan arrival, queues at passport control and I think AMS is far too busy to run through.

if it was me I wouldn’t bother trying those timescales but YMMV
Agree with this. 25 mins is just too tight. I have Privium and that just seems to add certainty to missing the first possible train by 2 or 3 mins. The idea to pre load up a OV chipcard to Eur20+ is a good one for saving a couple of minutes. Knowing which pair of platforms to head for helps a bit too.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
9292 is also a useful app for NL travel info. Agree with general concenus that 25 minutes is pushing it somewhat. I have privium and usually fly CE but even with that in my favour I don't often get a train that fast
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:55 am

I'd say this is too tight.
AMS can be sloppy when it comes to open up those e-gates. Last week only two immigration booths open and the e-gates were only opened after the queue snaked out of the actual meandering.
As a EU citizen it took me a good 25 mins to get through immigration.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hello

I am doing LHR to AMS on a weekly basis at the moment:

I would say I arrive at about 1 in 3 times at the Poolderbahn (or however correctly spelt) meaning a decent 20min taxi after arrival. Walk to immigration is almost always 10min.

In about 2 out of 3 times, Egates are not working at arrival meaning a queue of approx 10min. From there it's an approx. 5min walk to taxi machines where I need another 5min wait to get my ticket - so I would plan for the train an hour later. Don't check in any luggage - that would mean another 20min wait.

Daniel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.