Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by Cymro
The calculation is that most of them don't have anywhere else to go.
That would be a brave calculation.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR, Virgin Gold
Most of the comments seem to be focused on higher tier thresholds for CCR. If this comes to pass, I would hope that the individual customer service level (especially on the ground) would be improved along the lines of AA Concierge Key and applied on a consistent basis. One can only dream.....
bullroot likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well, many of us do have quite a lot of choice, especially if we are prepared to take an indirect routing.

My year has just started and I generally prioritize OW in flight searches, just because I appreciate having GGL and would like to retain it for the 19/20 membership year (not least for the Partner Cards which have been a big hit with friends & family).

I currently have 1930TPs worth of OW bookings over the next 12 months (about half on BA) and with a couple of l/h trips still to book, I would certainly have looked at BA/OW first to earn another 1070TPs.

If they now abruptly move the goalposts to 5k then I will give up - 3070 is far too big a stretch. Instead, I will just buy the travel which represents the best value for me, regardless of alliance (which I probably should always have done, but I was captured by BAEC marketing !!).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by AdBoy
That's where I still struggle with why current sub-5k GGL's would bother to keep earning with BA beyond 1.5k. That to me could be worth a big chunk of cash to BA each year which may venture elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Cymro
The calculation is that most of them don't have anywhere else to go. To an extent, BA has already made its mind up by not allowing any new GGLs who've never made it to 5k TP.

GUFs might keep some of them loyal (including me - I'm gold, not GGL, knocking on the door of CCR this year though not quite literally) but I could have taken the view that *A Gold was preferable to another 2k+ TPs and enjoyed some very cheap ex-LON trips.
This is an interesting point of view. Last year I did an AA status challenge to gain Platinum. I had already hit 1500 TPs and so retained Gold, and with a fair bit of domestic US flying lined up I credited those flights to AA so I would earn 8 or maybe 12 x 500 mile upgrade stickers that I could then apply to other flights and be upgraded to domestic First. Of course, that meant that the spend didn't go to BA but it also meant that I missed out on TPs that would have counted towards lifetime Gold. It also meant that I didn't earn a GUF2 which is, actually, one of the major benefits of anything above 1500 TPs.

Compared to a lot of people I do a significant amount of flying but compared to lot of people on here I do next to nothing! It's all relative. I don't do enough to earn a top-tier status with multiple carriers. I do just enough to retain Gold, and on a very good year I may get a GUF2. I have only managed 3500+ once, and I don't see that happening again. I do enough flying with BA that I would have no issue meeting a higher qualifying flight requirement for Gold if that was implemented but if the TP threshold was increased to say 2000 then I would have to ramp up my flying quite a bit. I am sure some will laugh and say "But it's just an extra 500 points" which is true, but when you're only earning 5 points a trip in economy it does need a fair amount of extra flying. For those who suggest I should just fly business I'd say that with the OH and CC in tow that is a lot more. I am, after all, one of those pesky fliers who mainly self-funds

So this year everything is getting credited to BA (and Delta, where I have to fly with someone else due to price or schedule). Of course that doesn't mean that BA is earning off the back of my travel as not everything is JV / TATL and it also means that they are incurring costs as I visit AA / QF / CX lounges. For anyone visiting the QF lounge at LAX, I can definitely recommend the rhubarb trifle
puqui99 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Qantas. British Airways. Emirates.
I heard that CCR was going to be MORE attainable. I am thinking they may lift the number of BA flight segments to 10 for Gold and 20 for GGL and lower the TP's required to 4000 per year.

I'd like to see all OneWorld airlines introduce a policy that First Class check in and lounges were not available for those flying in economy.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bronze
I'd like to see all OneWorld airlines introduce a policy that First Class check in and lounges were not available for those flying in economy.
The First Wing, perhaps, but moving all of those GCHs in economy out of the Flounge would just displace them into Galleries. (You might not care if you're always in business, but BA would care because of the capacity expansion needed in GC, and probably not much offsetting cost reduction in the Flounge).
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Bronze
I heard that CCR was going to be MORE attainable. I am thinking they may lift the number of BA flight segments to 10 for Gold and 20 for GGL and lower the TP's required to 4000 per year.

I for one would be intrigued to know where you heard this. It seems to go against all the other opinion on here with regard to earning for CCR.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by madfish
I for one would be intrigued to know where you heard this. It seems to go against all the other opinion on here with regard to earning for CCR.
Which may I say all stemmed from the opening post and FTr's have added their thoughts and views of what they 'heard':

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I had dinner with a client last night who is a Prem and the conversation turned to BA. He mentioned that he had heard that the GGL was getting an overhaul. He didn't seem to know too much other than it will be harder to qualify, it will include additional support from BA SS (now called the "Concorde Team") and would include access to the CCR for all members not just some.

There has previously been speculation of a new "Concorde Card" and I do wonder if that is what the GGL is about to morph into.

Anyone else heard anything?
Most of the posts here though are pure speculation and hearsay and I'm very surprised to read that those who do hold GGL, and who would lose it IF it were raised to 5,000 TP's for requalification would actually support it being increased for GGL's (talking about those on the 3k per year current earning)

Only on Flyertalk but it makes interesting reading!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Still think their best bet would be to raise gold by 3-500 TPs, silver by 200 and up BA segments to 6 or 8 if they want to reduce lounge expenditure.

Trouble is GGL might look wrong at 3000 then, so that’d go up as well!

Taking lounge access from economy doesn’t seem like a great move - why would you fly BA for many shorter routes? I think many business travelers are long haul J, short Y and remain loyal for the lounge benefits.

GGL isn’t a proper tier, so can’t see the cost savings being significant enough to want to rock the boat for top end travelers.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
A lot of speculation here but it does seem to make sense to align GGL and CCR and 5000 tier points would seem the obvious point at which to do this. Adding a requirement for a minimum number of BA segments would also make sense at all tiers.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Mike P
A lot of speculation here but it does seem to make sense to align GGL and CCR and 5000 tier points would seem the obvious point at which to do this. Adding a requirement for a minimum number of BA segments would also make sense at all tiers.
No it doesn’t.

I really wish people would stop suggesting raising the GGL limit.

Just wait to see what BA will do. Why do so many people on this forum keep feeding BA management!!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
At the very least, I would say:

Change the number of flights needed for status. 4 BA metal flights to go from blue to GGL in a year isn't enough.

3000TP to requalify for GGL. Why?
No other level has a reduced number of tier points the following year so why is GGL special?
GGL used to be attainable with 2 x 3000 TP years so this isn't such a surprise. In fact, in the past, Gold and Silver had reduced renewal levels. And even if there are 5,000 GGLs, it's a tiny fraction of all BA customers, spending more than standard Golds and Silvers. I really don't see why, if there are more people reaching that level, that BA aren't delighted by this. Quite why they would cut out that demographic and expect the remaining 500 CCR holders to spend enough to replace their revenue just doesn't seem realistic to me.

By all means introduce better service for the 5000 TP bunch, but it makes no sense to dilute benefits for the 5,000 non CCR GGLs. But, yes, increase BA sectors to 10 or 20 for GGL. I think that would be very sensible. Or go based on revenue. I'm bored of spending Ł20 per TP on ET commuting
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
No it doesn’t.

I really wish people would stop suggesting raising the GGL limit.

Just wait to see what BA will do. Why do so many people on this forum keep feeding BA management!!
I wouldn't worry too much about opinions on here influencing the outcome. I suspect this particular change was decided a long time ago.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Mar 12, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Upping the number of BA segments for Gold would likely send me to *A for good. I'll be both OW Emerald and *A Gold in a couple of months. While I get around six BA segments, usually in CE/CW, per year, it would be difficult for me to get much more than that.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by dcmike
Upping the number of BA segments for Gold would likely send me to *A for good. I'll be both OW Emerald and *A Gold in a couple of months. While I get around six BA segments, usually in CE/CW, per year, it would be difficult for me to get much more than that.
It's always amazed me that people can get to higher BA status levels yet fly so few flights with BA, I guess it probably doesn't make a whole load of difference as if they fly few segments they won't be using the benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.