Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I'm on course to re-qualify for GGL but not my CCR card in 2019, so If GGL re-qualification was increased to 5,000 TPs, that plan will go out of the window. In this scenario, I'll be spreading my bookings around far more liberally after I hit 1,500 TPs, unless of course some much improved incentives are introduced between 1,500 and 5,000 TPs. As it stands, the GUFs wouldn't provide anywhere near enough motivation for me to continue to remain loyal to BA (or, I should say, OneWorld) after hitting Gold.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
I wonder what happens to those who’ve already ‘retained Gold Guest List’ on ba.com/the app for this year but don’t/haven’t ever hit 5k?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
If BA have any sense they’ll say the changes apply from the next membership year or membership years starting after a specific future date. Anything more immediate that moved goalposts part way through a year risks massive customer badwill
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Problem is, whatever they will do is always in the mid of someone’s membership year, so my guess is that they will just pick a date in the future (like when they last moved the GGL goal posts) of say, 4 months, and tell people to deal with it. Their club, their rules...

However, I am curious how they will try to spin it... “we want to get rid of The underperformers, so we can make it even more exclusive...”? My views are likely aligned with Filthy Monkey, but looking forward to seeing that email...
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
If BA have any sense they’ll say the changes apply from the next membership year or membership years starting after a specific future date. Anything more immediate that moved goalposts part way through a year risks massive customer badwill
And that, of course, is something BA always strive to avoid
Dave_C and LondonCanuck like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
revenue based earning will to lead to less avios being earned on most tickets which will make avios more valuable - so the 'spend spend spend' messages from above (which I have also heard offline) don't align with that.
which means it's likely to be a devaluation (so redeeming is getting more costly), possibly combined with making earning harder.
if it was only revenue based / earning being harder, it'd be wise to sit on avios.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
As a CCR cardholder, I've only managed to use the CCR five times (out of around 30
BA segments) during my year which ends in a bit less than a month. This is in large part because my most common routes are via T3.

Combined with being teetotal, BA's cost to provide my CCR card has to be amongst the lowest of any CCR members.

As such, when it was clear that I was going to end up at somewhere around 4100 tier points (in part because of the AA decrease in TP and in part due to a slower travel year for work), I couldn't really justify stretching to 5000 tier points, though if the minimum was 5000 for GGL I would have found a way. If BA raises the stakes too much then I would probably stop trying as much and settle with earning BA Gold and Star Gold.

Oddly enough, such a change would hurt AA the most where I'll often pay a bit more to fly AA compared to UA or DL, and BA on short haul where LH or AF/KL are often a better price.
our_kid and SuperstarDJ like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by chris1979
revenue based earning will to lead to less avios being earned on most tickets which will make avios more valuable - so the 'spend spend spend' messages from above (which I have also heard offline) don't align with that.
which means it's likely to be a devaluation (so redeeming is getting more costly), possibly combined with making earning harder.
if it was only revenue based / earning being harder, it'd be wise to sit on avios.
This is pretty much what the US airlines did - cut earning based on spend * a multiple based on status and ramp up the cost of 'free tickets'.
If BA wants to pursue this strategy, we might see a big change in this board and BA flying. Although where we go of course, is much more tricky to know.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Are BA spending a lot of time wondering whether GGL should number 500 or 5,000? I hope not. Key decisions are the number of silver and gold members.
David_Doyle and SuperstarDJ like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Problem is, whatever they will do is always in the mid of someone’s membership year, so my guess is that they will just pick a date in the future (like when they last moved the GGL goal posts) of say, 4 months, and tell people to deal with it. Their club, their rules...

However, I am curious how they will try to spin it... “we want to get rid of The underperformers, so we can make it even more exclusive...”? My views are likely aligned with Filthy Monkey, but looking forward to seeing that email...
I’d disagree somewhat - they could say that new thresholds apply for membership years starting after X date. So anybody part way through their membership year doesn’t have the goalposts moved. If they’re introducing a “new” tier through the rebrand it shouldn’t be too difficult to live with GGL and Concorde tiers for a while. It’s only guesting and jokers that would cause complications that would be phased out (I might be missing some things!)

CCR cardholders - moved across to new Concorde tier
Current GGL - stay GGL
Requalify for GGL in current membership year - stay GGL until end of next membership year (so max life of GGL c. 2 years)
Next membership year - nothing to aim for (tier-wise) between GGL and Concorde
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well if it’s going to 5k for this higher tier and all GGL benefits cease to exist for the 3k crew, then that’s possibly 4500 high spending customers which BA will be consciously annoying for the sake of 1000 higher spending customers... so those 1000 should need to spend 4x and more per passenger than the “lost” GGLs if all of their benefits revert to Gold level. , plus fund this higher service level which won’t be cheap to deliver. Doesn’t seem to add up to me.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well if it’s going to 5k for this higher tier and all GGL benefits cease to exist for the 3k crew, then that’s possibly 4500 high spending customers which BA will be consciously annoying for the sake of 1000 higher spending customers... so those 1000 should need to spend 4x and more per passenger than the “lost” GGLs if all of their benefits revert to Gold level. , plus fund this higher service level which won’t be cheap to deliver. Doesn’t seem to add up to me.
That. If the qualification level for GGL goes to 5k I'll diversify my mileage earnings across BA and Star Alliance. My flying is not enough to reach 5k tier points, but easily enough to make BA and Star Gold At the same time.
SuperstarDJ likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by LCY8737

That. If the qualification level for GGL goes to 5k I'll diversify my mileage earnings across BA and Star Alliance. My flying is not enough to reach 5k tier points, but easily enough to make BA and Star Gold At the same time.
Exactly. I gave up on Star Alliance many years ago because of the attractions to putting everything with BA. Move the goal posts too much, and it all becomes unobtainable and I’d be doing the same as you.

Aspiration is the key word someone mentioned earlier, and BA has been very good at playing on that. It’s part of their brand (even with all the seemingly petty cut backs over the years).
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SuperstarDJ
They have their data, however I’m sure this forum is indeed well read by the powers that be at BA. They’d be silly not to.

That said, these boards do no represent the average BA frequent flyer in my opinion....
Yes, quite. Cause you can really trust what people say (and the status they claim to have) on an anonymous Internet forum...
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:57 pm

So clearly very few know the details of what changes will be announced, but I’m curious as to what BA believe they want to achieve with these rumoured changes.

My guess is that number one on the list will be a reduction in costs. Seemingly everything in the airline is geared around that, so the Executive Club should be no exception.

That would seem to imply either a reduction in benefits, or a reduction in the number of people that get those benefits.

Rather than fiddle with the tiers, from a perception point of view, would it not be better to change the number of tier points earned, and make them more closely aligned to the fare class? I certainly remember when Club World segments earned 120 and not 140 tier points and was somewhat surprised about the increase.

I also remember when Silver was 700 to obtain and 500 to retain, with Gold at 1500 / 1200 (iirc). Tweaking the tier points earned would be a less headline grabbing way of achieving the same result.

As someone who on April 8th should requalify for my sixth year of GGL at just over 3,000 tier points, I agree with the broad sentiment, that 5,000 is too many for me to get to. We’re only mid-March and I’m now at around 52K status miles with M&M and fully expect to be SEN by the end of the year.

Being Gold for Life, I would be exceptionally disappointed if BA decided to withdraw that benefit. One hopes that if they did decide to make changes there, they would either raise the level, or close it entirely, but not then withdraw it from those that have obtained it. However, given what BA have been doing recently, could certainly see them decide to say “screw you”.

So lots of speculation, not much fact, curious to see what actually happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.