Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
If Mr Cruz makes it too hard for me to retain One World status (being a self-funded traveller), I guess I will just fall back on my lifetime Star Alliance gold membership and One World will be the loser (however small the loss).

But, these things happen.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I have long been saying we need something along QF criteria (eg 75% of tps from BA only travel), threshold at 5k minimum (maybe 7 if I am being strict). This should get rid of riff raff. Then we can get this Uber level across the alliance so we can get chairman club, concierge key, Marco Polo select diamond etc when travelling on those airlines.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have long been saying we need something along QF criteria (eg 75% of tps from BA only travel), threshold at 5k minimum (maybe 7 if I am being strict). This should get rid of riff raff. Then we can get this Uber level across the alliance so we can get chairman club, concierge key, Marco Polo select diamond etc when travelling on those airlines.
Could you clarify who you define as ‘riff raff’? For example, do you include yourself in that?

Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I self identify as riff raff
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Hmmm. I’ll hit over 2500 TPs by end of May but won’t requalify for GGL until September, Would be mightily p’d off if they didn’t give appropriate notice (I.e. at leat end of current membership year). And they’d better not change GfL threshold, I was planning on renewing GGL next year by whatever means necessary to get to 35k.

(Man shakes fist angrily with no practical way of delivering on “or else” threat)
ThatT1Feeling and bisonrav like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
I assume most of the ones with CCR card have attained it through travel paid for by their companies.
For those of us that have earned their GGL status through majority personal travel and commuter travel and majority travel on BA should not be punished.
I don"t want the threshold increased to 5000 TP to retain GGL. :-(
I never understand this ‘self-funded’ argument. Why should BA care who pays for the ticket?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by hugolover

Could you clarify who you define as ‘riff raff’? For example, do you include yourself in that?

I’d be moving to the other end of the lounge if Riff Raff entered

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riff_Raff_(rapper)
hugolover and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
A massive increase in the number of TPs to requalify to GGL would actually work in my favour. I would just go back to being a BA regular gold plus Star Alliance Gold in parallel, instead of placing all my eggs in the BA/OW basket.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

I never understand this ‘self-funded’ argument. Why should BA care who pays for the ticket?
no corporate discounts, theoretically more flyer choice? Not necessarily compelling reason to differentiate though.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Because people feel a stronger emotional connection to things bought with money they consider to be their own. Loyalty is emotional.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Hmmm. I’ll hit over 2500 TPs by end of May but won’t requalify for GGL until September, Would be mightily p’d off if they didn’t give appropriate notice (I.e. at leat end of current membership year). And they’d better not change GfL threshold, I was planning on renewing GGL next year by whatever means necessary to get to 35k.

(Man shakes fist angrily with no practical way of delivering on “or else” threat)
Exactly. I'm in the same boat with 2500TP booked by the end of June and my membership year doesn't reset until Jan 2019. It would be a tad irritating to be almost done with renewal mid year and then be pushed back to 50% or so.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Seems to me that the incentive levels need to be at the right place to help BA make more money out of us. They need to weigh the cost of providing the benefits to more people, against the fact that with lower targets, more people will be incentivised to hit them.

From a personal perspective, I realised I could probably hit 5k this year as a one-off, and 3k per year going forward if I make an effort. I would be surprised if BA wasn't making money out of the incremental 3.5k / 1.5k TPs I was aiming for in excess of the 1.5k requirement for Gold (whether this sort of TP-chasing is rational has been done to death!). Nearly all of my TPs are earned on routes where BA sees at least a share of the money.

If they raised the annual requirement to 5k, I wouldn't bother aiming for anything over Gold, so they'd see less money from me. If this was justified by increasing the benefits (which in theory could make me less profitable), I could understand it. If not, it would seem like they've lost that revenue for little benefit.

Simply put, if the aim of the executive club tiers is to extract additional spend / profit out of each customer, I feel like this would be a step backwards for the category of passenger like me.

Interested to see what transpires.
GadgetGal likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by hugolover

When I finish the full cocktail menu in CCR I do admit I enter such territory ever so briefly, but for those occasions, Mohammed steps in and kicks riff raff out of a cabana to heal my head. For all other occasions, there is MasterCard. I don’t know why some people complain about CCR treatment or service, I don’t remember the last time my glass was ever empty
glog
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
And they’d better not change GfL threshold, I was planning on renewing GGL next year by whatever means necessary to get to 35k.

Me too. Am 90% of way to LTG and am looking at one more year, 2 max, to get there! Less fussed about GGL if it becomes a super uber tier, as opposed to an uber tier. If they just increase the number of eligible BA flights, no issue for me and I'm amazed it's currently only 4. Takes me 2 weeks to fulfil that!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
My last three years were 3,600, 4,200 and probably now 4,800 TP by June... and still gold!

Would be very disappointed indeed to miss GGL with only a quarter of my TPs coming from QR (and very little from anywhere else than BA!)

Strategically though, GGL doesn't seem to do enough for the very small number of super-loyal, super-regular flyers - and many of those GGL, non-CCR members will be grandfathered in and fly less than an increasingly large number of golds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.