GGL enhancements

Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have long been saying we need something along QF criteria (eg 75% of tps from BA only travel), threshold at 5k minimum (maybe 7 if I am being strict). This should get rid of riff raff. Then we can get this Uber level across the alliance so we can get chairman club, concierge key, Marco Polo select diamond etc when travelling on those airlines.
Can't speak for other airline elites, but for MPC "Select Diamond" (whatever that is anyway), the CX DM crowd seem to think that BA elites are the riffraff clogging up their lounges...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ly-lounge.html
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Cymro
My last three years were 3,600, 4,200 and probably now 4,800 TP by June... and still gold!

Would be very disappointed indeed to miss GGL with only a quarter of my TPs coming from QR (and very little from anywhere else than BA!)
now that to me seems a prime candidate for a tp fun run
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ermen
Can't speak for other airline elites, but for MPC "Select Diamond" (whatever that is anyway), the CX DM crowd seem to think that BA elites are the riffraff clogging up their lounges...
diamond is what I meant, sorry for misnaming it.
i saw that thread and sorta agreed. Maybe if they have a ccr-like card with mutual recognition at both airlines would be nice.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

now that to me seems a prime candidate for a tp fun run
Very much so... trying to schedule a weekend away with mates and will take it from there. (Will have to endure some awkward looks when I explain that yes, I did pay three or four times the price of their flight in order to enjoy a panini).
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
My last three years were 3,600, 4,200 and probably now 4,800 TP by June... and still gold!

Would be very disappointed indeed to miss GGL with only a quarter of my TPs coming from QR (and very little from anywhere else than BA!)

Strategically though, GGL doesn't seem to do enough for the very small number of super-loyal, super-regular flyers - and many of those GGL, non-CCR members will be grandfathered in and fly less than an increasingly large number of golds.
Yep - for the last 2 years you have earned more TPs than me, and I have been GGL throughout.. I do have to ask whether you considered the push for GGL from 4,200 TPs? Some of the benefits (jokers especially) would more than pay for the 2k that the 800 TPs may have cost you??
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:58 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by ermen
A few Cathay employees I gym and play with have told me CX is reviewing its lounge portfolio and the prospect of dumping other OWE into a separate lounge.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by amt

A few Cathay employees I gym and play with have told me CX is reviewing its lounge portfolio and the prospect of dumping other OWE into a separate lounge.
I heard that too and was scared. I was even thinking of moving BA to CX because Pier is the best lounge in the world for amenities in my view (ccr familiarity and staff are great, but...)
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:06 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

I heard that too and was scared. I was even thinking of moving BA to CX because Pier is the best lounge in the world for amenities in my view (ccr familiarity and staff are great, but...)
Have you calculated how many flights it would take you to reach CX Diamond??
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sxc

Have you calculated how many flights it would take you to reach CX Diamond??
I am fine by them, I did 9000tps ala BA last year and this year projected 8000 before the BCN-LHR weekly commute from July-Nov is taken into account so not worried. I just dont know whether I should, have LTG about 15 months away and need to wait for announcement of any CX changes that would push me over the edge.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Yep - for the last 2 years you have earned more TPs than me, and I have been GGL throughout.. I do have to ask whether you considered the push for GGL from 4,200 TPs? Some of the benefits (jokers especially) would more than pay for the 2k that the 800 TPs may have cost you??

Considered it but getting to 4,200 vs. 3,500 that I expected to for the 2x GUFs was effectively the push - lots of unexpected flying late in the TP year - and I ran out of time.

Had I known earlier in the year it'd have been easy - one trip in QF (Emirates) business vs. economy on QR and had I booked the MH Christmas sale rather than paying nearly the same for BA premium economy the week after it ended (1,100 to SE Asia in J) and I'd have been there or thereabouts.

Oh and if anyone remembers that amazing Christmas sale via Expedia - I was the one who found it and posted about it before anyone else!
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:29 am

We are in the realm of speculation, but... I've said this before and I wouldn't be surprised if BA implemented measures to ensure that GGL/CCR is attained by frequent flyers who actually fly BA a lot... The simple way of doing it is to have only TPs earned on BA count towards GGL qualification. In my view it would make commercial sense. It is easy to implement from an IT standpoint (even for BA...) and there is precedent in other airlines (see LH/LX where miles only flown in premium cabin on their airlines count towards HON-circle qualification, ie the "HON-circle miles").

There is then the whole argument of revenue-based FFPs, but I now don't see BA going in that direction...
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Funny that my first thought was, I wouldn't want to have to suffer BA metal transatlantic (or anywhere there's competition, really) to retain GGL going forward!

In the UK-to-US market, BA and AA do full revenue and cost sharing so it's irrelevant to either carrier whose metal you fly. (At least they have immunity to do this, so I am fairly certain they do. Therefore their only incentive in this market is to keep their costs as low/even with the AA as possible.) Not so on many/most of their other routes, so I can see it mattering to BA overall.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
What I heard is a bit different. Apparently they are considering to get rid of the Premier status and replace it with a new Concorde status. This new status can only be obtained with flights on IAG airlines in premium cabins and it will have "serious" benefits. Current Premier that don't achieve the new threshold will become GGL.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I finish the full cocktail menu in CCR I do admit I enter such territory ever so briefly, but for those occasions, Mohammed steps in and kicks riff raff out of a cabana to heal my head. For all other occasions, there is MasterCard. I dont know why some people complain about CCR treatment or service, I dont remember the last time my glass was ever empty
glog
Disparaging others is fine as long as you include yourself which, I have to admit, I thought you did. My apologies.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hugolover

Disparaging others is fine as long as you include yourself which, I have to admit, I thought you did. My apologies.
haha, how little you know me darling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.